Photo
- - - - -

The Dreger Report

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Yes. Matt Carkner - definitely a HUGE upgrade.

How is he defensively? I see he can fight, stick up for his teammates and rack up some PIMs, but I don't want a pylon out there. The cap hit definitely favor us, trade Hudler and Kindl for Carkner and Neil. Of course if the pot needed to be sweetened, Holland could do it...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#42 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

How is he defensively? I see he can fight, stick up for his teammates and rack up some PIMs, but I don't want a pylon out there. The cap hit definitely favor us, trade Hudler and Kindl for Carkner and Neil. Of course if the pot needed to be sweetened, Holland could do it...

that would be a dream
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#43 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

Good read

In reply to the article though - I don't think Holland will be dealing with the Islanders anytime soon, unless the deal HEAVILY favors Detroit and Martinek for a 2nd sure as hell isn't that...

Might as well throw in Nabby in the deal then... they owe him to Detroit anyway

#44 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Better than Ericsson, Salei or Kindl...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#45 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

Better than Ericsson, Salei or Kindl...

Yup he isn't much better then Salei but he is a bit better I would say. Its because he doesn't play a risky game, just makes the smart play and will put anyone in the league on their ass anywhere near the goalie.

I think come playoff time he could help out a lot actually. Thats if Ottawa even wants to give him up, the deal he is on with his talent level and his toughness.

I would want Phillips first but Carkner would be a good addition on the backend. Some meanness would rub off on Ericcson too and he always plays his best when he is playing mean.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#46 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

zach bogosian.

do it

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#47 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

If the Wings keep playing like they did tonight, there's really no need for moves with Stuart looking at coming back in a week and Modano in 2-3 weeks.

The main problem in trading is that you usually have to give up something of equal value at the time, regardless of the potential. Hudler has been in every damn thread we have proposing trades, yet he played a pivotal role in the win tonight with some very strong passing, forechecking, and scoring.

I like every player we have on the team when they're playing their game like they were tonight. Even Rafalski who I usually rag on had a good game.

Then again while I don't know Mr. Holland's take on most things, I'd assume that he and I are of pretty similar minds on this subject.

#48 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

If the Wings keep playing like they did tonight, there's really no need for moves with Stuart looking at coming back in a week and Modano in 2-3 weeks.

The main problem in trading is that you usually have to give up something of equal value at the time, regardless of the potential. Hudler has been in every damn thread we have proposing trades, yet he played a pivotal role in the win tonight with some very strong passing, forechecking, and scoring.

I like every player we have on the team when they're playing their game like they were tonight. Even Rafalski who I usually rag on had a good game.

Then again while I don't know Mr. Holland's take on most things, I'd assume that he and I are of pretty similar minds on this subject.

Good Point.. Better trade him before he goes back to himself....

He's riding a high right now, can't argue that... But he will become invisible again...
If you can get rid of him and his contract... Id say you should consider it.

#49 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

Good Point.. Better trade him before he goes back to himself....

He's riding a high right now, can't argue that... But he will become invisible again...
If you can get rid of him and his contract... Id say you should consider it.

so if he goes invisible, that means so will Datsyuk and Cleary. I just don't see that happening, hes found some good chemistry right now, and hes proved hes a 60-70 point guy in the past, maybe it just actually took this long to get going again from the transition from KHL to NHL.

#50 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

so if he goes invisible, that means so will Datsyuk and Cleary. I just don't see that happening, hes found some good chemistry right now, and hes proved hes a 60-70 point guy in the past, maybe it just actually took this long to get going again from the transition from KHL to NHL.

That doesn't mean Datsyuk and Cleary will go unnoticed. They have put up points throughout the year while not playing with Hudler. Those two will continue to do their thing while Hudler will slow down, if he does again.

#51 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:29 AM

That would be a god aweful trade.

Posted Image

#52 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:30 AM

Not sure what kind of defensive help Kenny could be thinking of... a stay at home kind of guy that can log lots of minutes would be nice, but thats hardly Ken's style.

#53 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:34 AM

Our D will improve considerably when Stuart returns... and the 47 shot game is a bit of an anomaly... it's the soft goals and poor rebound control that Howard has shown lately that concerns me, not the goals he has no chance on... with that said, I think Howie will be fine and we don't need to find a new starter, but I think we most certainly need to look for a legit backup, just in case.

I'd send Kindl and a pick/prospect to Carolina for Pitkanen in a second...

The Wings can't afford to send Kindl for Pitkanen, sadly. He'd be a great addition. The Wings can only afford to add about 628k in full-season cap hit right now, according to capgeek. Kindl for Pitkanen would require just over 3.1m for the swap. If Carolina is truly requiring a defenseman in return, then it's Stuart or Kronwall/Miller. Miller would only be there to level the cap space.

If a defenseman is not necessary, then Carolina would probably be looking at one of Flip or Hudler in return as Detroit needs to send at least $3.4m out to get Joni.

I don't see it realistically happening, but the only way I can see it happen without the Wings dumping off major pieces is if they move Salei, Kindl, and Miller as part of a three-way deal. Retroactively place Modano and Osgood on LTIR, and hopefully that makes enough of a difference.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#54 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

That would be a god aweful trade.

Thank god someone with some sense. I'll never understand the love LGW has for Carkner and Neil. It blows my mind people would be willing to move Kindl and Hudler for that trash out of Ottawa.

Despite Hudler and Kindl's struggles I sincerely think people are overvaluing the Sens' players.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#55 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

The Wings can't afford to send Kindl for Pitkanen, sadly. He'd be a great addition. The Wings can only afford to add about 628k in full-season cap hit right now, according to capgeek. Kindl for Pitkanen would require just over 3.1m for the swap. If Carolina is truly requiring a defenseman in return, then it's Stuart or Kronwall/Miller. Miller would only be there to level the cap space.

If a defenseman is not necessary, then Carolina would probably be looking at one of Flip or Hudler in return as Detroit needs to send at least $3.4m out to get Joni.

I don't see it realistically happening, but the only way I can see it happen without the Wings dumping off major pieces is if they move Salei, Kindl, and Miller as part of a three-way deal. Retroactively place Modano and Osgood on LTIR, and hopefully that makes enough of a difference.

I was more talking talent exchange, someone had asked if he would be worth trading for and what he was like... I wasn't even looking at the numbers, or the feasibility of it...

Thank god someone with some sense. I'll never understand the love LGW has for Carkner and Neil. It blows my mind people would be willing to move Kindl and Hudler for that trash out of Ottawa.

Despite Hudler and Kindl's struggles I sincerely think people are overvaluing the Sens' players.

Some people will always hate Hudler, no matter what he does...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#56 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Some people will always hate Hudler, no matter what he does...

See heres the thing about Hudler. Its not even hate for me, its just the salary.

For what he makes and what he does to help this team he is the best trade option, there are some people on this board who love Hudler way too much.

If Holland can realistically trade for a good defenceman I think that will help us WAY more come playoff time then having Hudler put up a few points. Defence wins championships and Detroits probably needs an upgrade, Hudler is the best person to move for the wings really. He is one dimensional and now that he is putting up some points probably has some good trade value

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#57 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

See heres the thing about Hudler. Its not even hate for me, its just the salary.

For what he makes and what he does to help this team he is the best trade option, there are some people on this board who love Hudler way too much.

If Holland can realistically trade for a good defenceman I think that will help us WAY more come playoff time then having Hudler put up a few points. Defence wins championships and Detroits probably needs an upgrade, Hudler is the best person to move for the wings really. He is one dimensional and now that he is putting up some points probably has some good trade value

Why move a player who has just started to find his game whose trading value is going up? We wouldn't get enough in return and Hudler is only getting better.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#58 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Why move a player who has just started to find his game whose trading value is going up? We wouldn't get enough in return and Hudler is only getting better.

How do you know that though? Other teams might look at him and be like OK he got 60 points, came back readjusted to the NHL and is lighting it up again.

He might actually have more trade value then we think.

And this team is built to win now with the window closing, if it means maybe not getting quite enough value as we should but ultimately helps this team win a cup then a cup is worth getting a little less then what you should for a guy like Hudler.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#59 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

This is an important point. Without Hudler, would you say Detroit lacks scoring? No. Complete opposite. But does Detroit have the defensive strength for a long playoff run? Not at all.

Doesn't have to be Hudler, just he offers nothing except scoring so if I had to trade a forward in a situation like that I'd choose him.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#60 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

I don't expect Kenny to do anything at the deadline. There are too many buyers and not enough sellers so the prices will be high. I think Kenny is fine going with Ericsson and Salei as the bottom defense pair. My only concern is if we run into injury problems, can we throw Kindl in there and be comfortable?
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams