• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeymom1960

Isles vs Pens

Rate this topic

After rewatching the clip a few times I don't think Martin was trying to blindside punch Talbot. If you watch closely Martin drops his gloves, grabs Talbot, tries to spin Talbot around (toward him), and then throws the punch. While it is still cheap, I believe the intent was to make Talbot face him and immediately punch him.

To me it looked like he looked at him, saw he wasn't looking and threw a punch but who knows. You cant tell what Martin was thinking. I just hate cheap shots and they needed to be punished with very long suspensions if you want them out of the game.

I'm glad others have said it. People saying this was disgraceful made me refer to one of the most epic games in Wings history, Avs vs Wings March 26, 1997. How would that not be the same embarrassment? What would be the difference? McCarty and the rest of the team avenged the draper hit.

AND, McCarty sucker punched Lemieux but yet nobody called him a gutless turd...

I think these games like this, seeing bad blood boil over, are absolutely awesome to see. I am sick of all sports teams being buddy buddy with each other, like NBA teams giving love to each other after games, NFL the same thing. I don't want my team to like the opponent at all!

I dunno. I don't think this game was an embarrassment. I think hockey needs this stuff once in a while.

exactly

Now comes the fallout.

Godard gets ten games for coming off the bench, automatic, unless they play the "But he's a Penguin!!!" card - a card they already played this week with Cooke. He won't get more and I would be surprised if Abysmal gets more than one game/$10,000 fine as punishment.

I have a bit of trouble keeping my cheap-shotting Islanders apart, but I think Martin gets at least two for trying to fight a guy who wanted no part of it and Haley gets two to four for fighting twice in the same stoppage. The Gillies one is tough because it could be ruled under the headshots that it's a blindside hit, but seeing as a repeat offender (Cooke) got four games, it's hard to give him any more than that

Campbell might issue some five-digit fines to both the teams, weighting the Islanders heavier since they instigated a lot of the fighting.

Pretty sad how so many people here are crying about this.

Go watch some basketball if you can't stomach this kind of thing.

They actually allow fighting in hockey, meaning things like this can happen. Used to happen all the time too, especially in Detroit.

Edited by GMRwings1983

According to Darren Dreger, Bettman will be personally involved in the PIT/NYI discipline.

Which means that Bylsma's suspension will likely be rescinded, Godard will just get a fine and half the Isles roster will be suspended for the remainder of the season. :P

Pretty sad how so many people here are crying about this.

Go watch some basketball if you can't stomach this kind of thing.

They actually allow fighting in hockey, meaning things like this can happen. Used to happen all the time too, especially in Detroit.

those were the days ehh? I spend the entire wings game hoping for a fight only to be let down every game, I gurantee a tv viewership increase, and attendence increase if they grow balls. I know ive personally abstained from buying tickets for the last 2 years because of this. i know i wont change anything but, its just so unfun. and dont tell me that veiwers dont love fights, how many people left the coliseum last night disappointed?

According to Darren Dreger, Bettman will be personally involved in the PIT/NYI discipline.

Which means that Bylsma's suspension will likely be rescinded, Godard will just get a fine and half the Isles roster will be suspended for the remainder of the season. :P

the only people that should be suspended imo isfor the sucker punch, and the leaving the bench bs.

Edited by wings1110

over on hfboards, Pens fans are comparing Martin going after Talbot with the Bertuzzi incident. :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting to see what happens now that Bettman is going to be involved. I was kind of excited to see the Campbell wheel of justice in action, but now he'll have to answer to Gary and how bad of PR this was for hockey.

those were the days ehh? I spend the entire wings game hoping for a fight only to be let down every game, I gurantee a tv viewership increase, and attendence increase if they grow balls. I know ive personally abstained from buying tickets for the last 2 years because of this. i know i wont change anything but, its just so unfun. and dont tell me that veiwers dont love fights, how many people left the coliseum last night disappointed?

the only people that should be suspended imo isfor the sucker punch, and the leaving the bench bs.

I think Gillies should be too for that flying elbow and throwing punches on a guy who's clearly hurt.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I stayed up until 4 AM this morning to rewatch this game. I caught the last 7 minutes after the Wings game last night. FANTASTIC. Sometimes this kind of untoward, churlish, deranged, immature behavior brings fans to their feet while screaming and makes guys like me stay up until dawn to watch what I missed the first time.

I'm glad others have said it. People saying this was disgraceful made me refer to one of the most epic games in Wings history, Avs vs Wings March 26, 1997. How would that not be the same embarrassment? What would be the difference? McCarty and the rest of the team avenged the draper hit.

AND, McCarty sucker punched Lemieux but yet nobody called him a gutless turd...

I think these games like this, seeing bad blood boil over, are absolutely awesome to see. I am sick of all sports teams being buddy buddy with each other, like NBA teams giving love to each other after games, NFL the same thing. I don't want my team to like the opponent at all!

I dunno. I don't think this game was an embarrassment. I think hockey needs this stuff once in a while.

The difference is Daren McCarty had great hockey skill, Trevor Gillies none.... It resulted from a cheap shot by Lemuix. All the fights in the 97 game were with players that had skill and were actually there to help score goals. Godard and Gillies not so much.

Good game. Good to see the Islanders sticking up for themselves. They made a statement last night. Nobody is going to physically push them around. Talbot got his for the borderline hit on Blake Comeau. Godard should get suspended 10 games for leaving the bench, and that should be the only suspension, but I think Gilles will be suspended for the hit on Tangradi. People who are whining about this can go watch soccer. Good old time hockey! :thumbup:

The difference is Daren McCarty had great hockey skill, Trevor Gillies none.... It resulted from a cheap shot by Lemuix. All the fights in the 97 game were with players that had skill and were actually there to help score goals. Godard and Gillies not so much.

Godard and Gillies were involved in pretty much one incident each, what about the rest of the 15 fights lol? Those were all better or pretty even players with Mccarty.

Mccarty was there as a fighter first and foremost anyways, he WAS a fighter. Just one that was pretty good at hockey as well.

There is pretty much nothing different about this game than March 26th 1997 at the Joe. Mccarty's suckerpunch was actually much more vicious, blood every where and Mac was throwing knees for gods sake.

Its fine if you dont like this kind of thing in hockey but if you are one of the ones who loved that Mac Lemieux incident then take off the homer glasses for once in your life

Was it any different than what Mac did to Claude?

The difference is Claude actually laid a dirty hit on Kris Draper, McCarty didn't grab him from the side he hit him straight on. I don't know how anyone can compare these beer league goons to the Wings Avs in the late 90's. Differences both Detroit and Colorado had great skill and were tops in the league, the Islanders NO! McCarty was a regular in the line up. Gillies not so much.

I'm just sorry Cooke wasn't out there. I'd have paid to see him get a can of whoop ass laid on him.

god damnit ive exceeded my like quota for the day lol, oterwise +1 to you, people sy this stuff is bad for the league. no its fine for the league. little f***ers like cook are a cancer to the league, thats how injuries happen not fights.

Godard and Gillies were involved in pretty much one incident each, what about the rest of the 15 fights lol? Those were all better or pretty even players with Mccarty.

Mccarty was there as a fighter first and foremost anyways, he WAS a fighter. Just one that was pretty good at hockey as well.

There is pretty much nothing different about this game than March 26th 1997 at the Joe. Mccarty's suckerpunch was actually much more vicious, blood every where and Mac was throwing knees for gods sake.

Its fine if you dont like this kind of thing in hockey but if you are one of the ones who loved that Mac Lemieux incident then take off the homer glasses for once in your life

That was pathetic... He threw a flying elbow and then tried to beat up a kid in his 5th NHL game. I'm all for fights, but the crap the he did and Martin almost assulting Talbot is stupid. Thats not hockey...

Can't believe all the negative reactions on here. Do you change the channel during regular hockey fights as well? I mean, some of the most memorable events in hockey are brawls, like Col/Det 97 and Ottawa/Buffalo 08. I thought the whole thing was a million kinds of awesome. If it was on a constant basis, i can see it being ridiculous, but personally I love seeing a brawl now and again. Just reinforces how unbelivably awesome hockey is. The only lame aspect of it was Gonchar coming off the bench to double team the NY player. Pretty gutless I must say.

Good game. Good to see the Islanders sticking up for themselves. They made a statement last night. Nobody is going to physically push them around. Talbot got his for the borderline hit on Blake Comeau. Godard should get suspended 10 games for leaving the bench, and that should be the only suspension, but I think Gilles will be suspended for the hit on Tangradi. People who are whining about this can go watch soccer. Good old time hockey! :thumbup:

i think carman is the only one who didn't like all of it. i thought it was enjoyable. :)

i think the debates here are about cheapshots, not fighting in general.

my concern is, what happens if kronwall lays out somebody from say, oh, the new york islanders and then we play them again?

i think carman is the only one who didn't like all of it. i thought it was enjoyable. :)

i think the debates here are about cheapshots, not fighting in general.

my concern is, what happens if kronwall lays out somebody from say, oh, the new york islanders and then we play them again?

Exactly everyone loves the fighting, but I would prefer to see some skill out of these fighters. What does happen if Kronwall throws a clean hit. Is Gillies going to elbow Emmerton like he did to Tangradi. Is Martin going to sucker punch Kronwall.

for probably the first and only time, we will agree on something fight related!

i am about the last guy to advocate fights. thought i dont post a lot, i am pretty anti-goon. however, i love what the isles did last night. the only bad thing was the sucker punch. and if talbot wasn't a ***** ass coward like the rest of the penguins it wouldnt have even had to happen. martin tapped talbot as a warning. and as far as gillies, it was less than a second between when he hit tangiardi and when he threw a punch. in that time he fell down and spun around. so its not as if gillies was standing there watching tangiardi be injured. it was a split second.

anywho, i don't want to try and defend the isles guys, i could honestly care less about either team. but this is the crazy crap that has to happen once in a while.

and as others have stated i do love how noble the wings were in gooning it up in 97, but the isles are gutless cowards in a very similar situation? hyperbole FTW!

Exactly everyone loves the fighting, but I would prefer to see some skill out of these fighters. What does happen if Kronwall throws a clean hit. Is Gillies going to elbow Emmerton like he did to Tangradi. Is Martin going to sucker punch Kronwall.

is mccrimmon going to come off the bench?

:P

for probably the first and only time, we will agree on something fight related!

i am about the last guy to advocate fights. thought i dont post a lot, i am pretty anti-goon. however, i love what the isles did last night. the only bad thing was the sucker punch. and if talbot wasn't a ***** ass coward like the rest of the penguins it wouldnt have even had to happen. martin tapped talbot as a warning. and as far as gillies, it was less than a second between when he hit tangiardi and when he threw a punch. in that time he fell down and spun around. so its not as if gillies was standing there watching tangiardi be injured. it was a split second.

anywho, i don't want to try and defend the isles guys, i could honestly care less about either team. but this is the crazy crap that has to happen once in a while.

and as others have stated i do love how noble the wings were in gooning it up in 97, but the isles are gutless cowards in a very similar situation? hyperbole FTW!

Tangradi must have said something from the bench or something like that because Gilles was really letting him hear it while he was down.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

You go to a Wings GAME and are let down simply because there isn't a fight?

What did you do between fights? Sit quietly while the game was going on?