• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeymom1960

Isles vs Pens

Rate this topic

The difference is Claude actually laid a dirty hit on Kris Draper, McCarty didn't grab him from the side he hit him straight on. I don't know how anyone can compare these beer league goons to the Wings Avs in the late 90's. Differences both Detroit and Colorado had great skill and were tops in the league, the Islanders NO! McCarty was a regular in the line up. Gillies not so much.

Because the Isles aren't a good team means that can't stick up for themselves? If you watch the video again, you can clearly see Martin try to spin Talbot towards him (facing Martin) just before/as he punches. Gillies has been a regular this year with the Isles (if you watch any of their game) and has played 32 games this season.

Tangradi must have said something from the bench or something like that because Gilles was really letting him hear it while he was down.

I think it was more in response to Tangradi pushing the Isles around earlier in the game, and that Flower and Johnson laughed after DiPietro was hurt last game.

Last night was just fight night plain and simple. The CBJ and Lanche went at it a bit too. But they also played some hockey this just looked like ok time to fight....oh you mean we should play some hockey too. Its probably a good thing Crosby wasnt around for this otherwise someone from the NYI would be looking at a lifetime ban for even pondering throwing a punch.

So who is wearing the C for the Pens now that everyone is gonna miss a game or two...or 10?

The difference is Claude actually laid a dirty hit on Kris Draper, McCarty didn't grab him from the side he hit him straight on. I don't know how anyone can compare these beer league goons to the Wings Avs in the late 90's. Differences both Detroit and Colorado had great skill and were tops in the league, the Islanders NO! McCarty was a regular in the line up. Gillies not so much.

Meh, Talbot had a borderline hit last time these 2 played and Comeau hasn't played since. Mccarty spun around and completely suckered him before Claude had a chance to defend himself, then proceeded to knee him in the face with shin pads on.

SO just because the wings were good back then means teams can't stick up for themselves, the wings hadn't won anything up until then and that brawl in 97 was the wings turning point. Maybe this will be the isles turning point.

If you are seriously going to sit there and defend Mccartys actions then say Martin was that bad then you might actualy win the biggest homer award on this site

Meh, Talbot had a borderline hit last time these 2 played and Comeau hasn't played since. Mccarty spun around and completely suckered him before Claude had a chance to defend himself, then proceeded to knee him in the face with shin pads on.

SO just because the wings were good back then means teams can't stick up for themselves, the wings hadn't won anything up until then and that brawl in 97 was the wings turning point. Maybe this will be the isles turning point.

If you are seriously going to sit there and defend Mccartys actions then say Martin was that bad then you might actualy win the biggest homer award on this site

Different circumstances completely. Clean hit by Talbot, stupid dirty hit by Claude. O and like Claude didn't know it was coming He had a chance to defend himself. Talbot had no chance. Both are sucker punches, but Mac's was at least warrented

god damnit ive exceeded my like quota for the day lol, oterwise +1 to you, people sy this stuff is bad for the league. no its fine for the league. little f***ers like cook are a cancer to the league, thats how injuries happen not fights.

Why, thank you. I hate to be mean, but damn, if anyone deserved to be out there last night getting his ass handed to him, it's Cooke. I would have been amongst the cheering throngs if he'd been on the receiving end of someone's punches. It would have been divine retribution.

Different circumstances completely. Clean hit by Talbot, stupid dirty hit by Claude. O and like Claude didn't know it was coming He had a chance to defend himself. Talbot had no chance. Both are sucker punches, but Mac's was at least warrented

Blind side somewhat borderline hit that has left Comeau out since isn't a dirty hit? Even if it wasn't that blatantly dirty it still has left Comeau out, I'm glad something like this happened maybe a bunch of beat downs like this is what it takes to get those blind side concussion causing hits out of the game.

Claude DID NOT have a chance to defend himself anymore then Talbot did, Mccarty spun and fired a punch giving Lemieux maybe a second at most to defend himself.

The circumstances aren't different at all. A dirty hit on a teammate, both guys get their bell rung with a suckerpunch except if anything, Macs was worse because he was throwing knees and bloodied the guy. Martin let up when Talbot was down.

Haha man you are a huge homer, I can't believe you are talking about how bad Martins play was and defending Mccarty's? Seriously have you watched what Mac did lately?

I hope this is just the beginning. I hope all the other teams send the Pens the message too. That s***bird Cooke will be held accountable. If the league let's that s*** go, teams will police it themselves. I hope other teams will put pressure on the Pens, too. Can't believe Cooke is still playing in the NHL. What a piece of s***.

You go to a Wings GAME and are let down simply because there isn't a fight?

What did you do between fights? Sit quietly while the game was going on?

the atmosphere at the joe just isnt the same since the wings has become over run by *******, i would far rather watch the teams of the late 90s than the wings of today, they played with heart and didnt take s*** from anyone. if i wanted to watch people be nice to eachother ide watch soccer.

Just a side note - NHL.com had no front page story for this game last night, and in fact featured the wings victory over the B's instead. I'm all for the acknowledgment of the wings...but what a joke NHL.com is for sweeping this under the rug!

it should be front and center it was epic!!!!

I hope this is just the beginning. I hope all the other teams send the Pens the message too. That s***bird Cooke will be held accountable. If the league let's that s*** go, teams will police it themselves. I hope other teams will put pressure on the Pens, too. Can't believe Cooke is still playing in the NHL. What a piece of s***.

the wings wont police anyone :(

Blind side somewhat borderline hit that has left Comeau out since isn't a dirty hit? Even if it wasn't that blatantly dirty it still has left Comeau out, I'm glad something like this happened maybe a bunch of beat downs like this is what it takes to get those blind side concussion causing hits out of the game.

Claude DID NOT have a chance to defend himself anymore then Talbot did, Mccarty spun and fired a punch giving Lemieux maybe a second at most to defend himself.

The circumstances aren't different at all. A dirty hit on a teammate, both guys get their bell rung with a suckerpunch except if anything, Macs was worse because he was throwing knees and bloodied the guy. Martin let up when Talbot was down.

Haha man you are a huge homer, I can't believe you are talking about how bad Martins play was and defending Mccarty's? Seriously have you watched what Mac did lately?

I thought macs suckerpuch was the s***, and i would have done the same thing.....but it def deserved a suspension.

Just a side note - NHL.com had no front page story for this game last night, and in fact featured the wings victory over the B's instead. I'm all for the acknowledgment of the wings...but what a joke NHL.com is for sweeping this under the rug!

I just filled out a complaint form on NHL.com about it being pushed under the rug, i suggest you do the same.

the atmosphere at the joe just isnt the same since the wings has become over run by *******

I feel sorry for you. Toughness shouldn't revolve around fighting, or else you would be calling many great players "*******".

I'm all for fighting, but the reasons and the way these fights happened I disagree with. I mean Gillies charged Tangradi, delivered a headshot, Tangradi was out, then he starts punching him, then he stays right by the boards and continues chirping at a guy that had a damn concussion for NO reason. That's sickening. I've played in the USHL, I've seen some gong shows first hand, I'd never thought I'd see a play like that in the NHL.

The Martin-Talbot thing I can get, it was a borderline hit on Blake and the Islanders wanted Talbot and Talbot should of stood up in the first period and that should be it. But after every whistle taking a swing at the guy? really?

Goddard broke a very important rule, and deserves whatever suspension he gets, tough to find video on what exactly Bylsma was doing, but take into account this was the same play that Tangradi was on the ice due to a cheapshot in every sense of the word, so that already puts the balance of players off. Not making excuses, but just something Goddard might have thought was important enough to justify it.

The Avs/Wings thing has some parallels, but to me the rivalry was built over a while, not just a week. The battles were faught by the heart and soul of each team, not just AHL callups.

Edited by Carman

Wow, that game was a lot more than I expected!

I think everyone already knew there would be at least a fight or two in that game before it even started. The Isles are an angry team right now that literally have nothing to lose at this point. The Pens are a team that broke their goalies face about a week ago.

I just never expected that much!

Yeah, it was over the top, but good on the Isles! The Pens are a team protect on high by Lord Bettman. So I'm glad the team with nothing to lose said "f*** it" and just went after them.

I just wish Cooke had been in so he could have gotten his face crushed in, like he deserves.

I feel sorry for you. Toughness shouldn't revolve around fighting, or else you would be calling many great players "*******".

I'm all for fighting, but the reasons and the way these fights happened I disagree with. I mean Gillies charged Tangradi, delivered a headshot, Tangradi was out, then he starts punching him, then he stays right by the boards and continues chirping at a guy that had a damn concussion for NO reason. That's sickening. I've played in the USHL, I've seen some gong shows first hand, I'd never thought I'd see a play like that in the NHL.

The Martin-Talbot thing I can get, it was a borderline hit on Blake and the Islanders wanted Talbot and Talbot should of stood up in the first period and that should be it. But after every whistle taking a swing at the guy? really?

Goddard broke a very important rule, and deserves whatever suspension he gets, tough to find video on what exactly Bylsma was doing, but take into account this was the same play that Tangradi was on the ice due to a cheapshot in every sense of the word, so that already puts the balance of players off. Not making excuses, but just something Goddard might have thought was important enough to justify it.

The Avs/Wings thing has some parallels, but to me the rivalry was built over a while, not just a week. The battles were faught by the heart and soul of each team, not just AHL callups.

im not talking just about fighting, personally i think hitting is way more important than fighting! im sayinf we have guys on our team that could be wayy more physical and could use their body to wear down the opposition. One guy i do think has picked up his physicality since hes been back is homer! Hes hit more since hes been back than he has in the past couple years, and i think if everyone did that we would be set. Babcock said it in an interview the other day. we need guys like Franzen, Bert, etc.. to use the body, trust me those hits on the forecheck and what not really wear the other team down and cause them to be passive. And the thing about hitting that much is that it will un doubtingly, cause the other team to try to fight you, and we dont need guys like franzen fighting those guys that go after them, so someone has to do it for them, im not saying a pilon like downey im saying a guy with skill that can stand up for his teamates when necissary.

Carmen you piss me off all the time, but i will say you do make some good points.

the atmosphere at the joe just isnt the same since the wings has become over run by *******, i would far rather watch the teams of the late 90s than the wings of today, they played with heart and didnt take s*** from anyone. if i wanted to watch people be nice to eachother ide watch soccer.

I'm not trying to be an ******* when I say this, but did you ever play hockey? And I'm not talking pong hockey or drop in or any of that stuff, I'm talking actual organized hockey, youth league, high school, anything like that? I'm genuinely curious.

Personally, I think if you'd rather watch a game with fights and all this "heart" you speak of, maybe watch some more Penguins games. The Red Wings beat teams on the scoreboard. That's what gets you into the playoffs. Not the garbage that the Islanders and Penguins called a hockey game last night.

Also, your comment about soccer is pretty ignorant.

Edit: and Carman makes some excellent points more times than not. It's just because he likes the Penguins and Sidney Crosby is why people don't like him and they can't see past that to realize that he's usually right when he posts something that people might not agree with.

Edited by lookalive07

I'm not trying to be an ******* when I say this, but did you ever play hockey? And I'm not talking pong hockey or drop in or any of that stuff, I'm talking actual organized hockey, youth league, high school, anything like that? I'm genuinely curious.

i played AAA, and juniors.

Okay, just wondering because my roommate doesn't play hockey, never has, and he loves fights. I was naively making a comparison because he plays the EA NHL games and usually fights the other team 4+ times a game. He's a Penguins fan (he's from Pittsburgh) and he says he doesn't like the Red Wings because they don't fight.

I personally think that teams with skill are much more interesting to watch than teams who just goon it up. The Red Wings might not fight as much anymore, but they usually make an attempt to "not take s*** from anyone" by beating teams on the scoreboard. Wins are much more satisfying than watching fights, IMO.

Plus, some of that grit usually comes out in our "*******" in the playoffs...Zetterberg vs. Malkin ring a bell?

# Konopka being looked at for potential violation of rule 70.2, making legal line change to start an altercation. Allows for supp discipline. less than 10 seconds ago via Twitter for iPad

# That leaves NYI Haley. No word on hearing for him yet, which might mean he won't be suspended. Too early to say. Review process ongoing. 35 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# There is some talk NYI Konopka may have come off bench on line change to fight and that may be suspendable. Being looked at. 37 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# NYI Martin and Gillies will have in-person hearings tonight in Buffalo. In person hearings allow NHL to suspend for 6 or more games. 39 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# We know Godard gets auto 10 games for coming off the bench. Suspension to Bylsma is not automatic tho. Discretionary. Fines obviously. 40 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# NHL is currently reviewing tape of last night's NYI-PIT game for supplentary discipline purposes. 42 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

all by Mckenzie

I'm glad the Islanders waxed Gary Bettmans protected team....they had it coming. Matt cook should already be bounced out of the NHL and it's not like has hasn't done this kind of crap when he was on another team aka knee on knee hits and what not. I remain convinced that Bettman wakes up each Monday thinking "what's going to make us look bad this week?" Since Bettman took over the officiating stinks...and the art of hockey is gone. Colin Campbell is a (explicative) and completely incompetent at his job. Bettman and Campbell both need to step down.

Great article from Bleacherreport.com talking about the joke that Paul Steigerwald is.

A New Level of Unprofessionalism

Unprofessional.

The best word to describe the comments made by FSN employee and play-by-play commentator of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Paul Steigerwald, during Pittsburgh's 9-3 blow out loss to the New York Islanders on Friday night.

Throughout the emotion-filled contest, which featured numerous fights and major penalties, Steigerwald became so irate with what was happening on the ice that he began to make derogatory comments about the New York Islanders organization.

"When you're one of the worst teams in hockey and an embarrassment to the National Hockey League, I guess nothing really matters at this point," said Steigerwald.

Later, he goes on to berate New York Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, saying " I'm sure Garth Snow is just proud as punch of his team right now."

For a clearly upset Steigerwald to berate the New York Islanders organization, its players, and it's General Manager shows a complete lack of professionalism, respect, and class.

Announcers have a tough job in that they have to be able to cater to their employer, casual fans, and die hard fans all at the same time.

The task becomes even tougher when the game they're commentating on turns into complete chaos, and they're forced with the task of not only trying to find positive light in a very grim situation, but trying to keep a dwindling viewing audience from changing the channel.

Making personal, malicious comments against the opposing hockey club isn't a solution.

Previously having joked about the death of former hockey player Hobey Baker in a December 2009 Penguins game, it will be shameful if FSN Pittsburgh or the NHL themselves do not seek disciplinary action.

Inflammatory comments from a person who makes a living trying to promote the game of hockey should not be taken lightly.