• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#201 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:29 AM

Heaven forbid an owner stands up for his team. It was clear on the intentions of the Islanders, and Mario called them out on it. He'll get fined, but the whole fallacy of "But they have Matt Cooke and Cindy Crysby blah blah blah" doesn't pertain to Mario's argument or comments, so why even bring them up? Just because the Pens have Cooke, that doesn't mean Mario can't complain when a game turns into a goonfest.

I think Mario was overly dramatic with the James Harrision "I'm out" comment, but it was good to see an owner stick up for his team.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#202 Vladimir316

Vladimir316

Rookie

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:21 AM

Here a small statistic *penalties*;
1st FLA 183 minor / 14 major / 460 PIMs total
29th NYI 244 minor / 48 major / 1022 PIMs total
30th PIT 290 minor / 63 major / 1113 PIMs total *all three highest*

Furthermore a brawl needs two parties, so why is Pittsburgh in the victim role?
Red Wings:
Serie in 7: $2(0) Serie in 6: $5 (0) Serie in 5: $7(0) Serie in 4: $10(1) Kronwalled: $5(2) Homer Screening Goal: $5(3) Eurotwin combo: $5(2) The Mule Multi Goal: $5(0) Winning Cup: $15(0)

Rangers:
Serie in 7: $4(0) Serie in 6: $7(0) Serie in 5: $10(0) Serie in 4: $15(0) Save previous rounds making finals x: $0.05(143*) Save Stanley Finals x: $0.05(0) Lundqvist Shutout: $5(0) Dubinsky Goal: $2(2) Stepan Goal: $3(0) Goal any Other Rag $1(6) Prust/Avery Fight: $3(0) Winning Cup: $20(0)

TOTAL RED WINGS: $45 TOTAL RANGERS : $10 TOTAL MONEY ON THE BOARD : $55
*objective not completed!
Updated after Second Round Wings

REST IN PEACE DEREK, YOU WILL ENFORCE A LOT MORE IN THE HEAVEN HOCKEY LEAGUE!

#203 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

Heaven forbid an owner stands up for his team. It was clear on the intentions of the Islanders, and Mario called them out on it. He'll get fined, but the whole fallacy of "But they have Matt Cooke and Cindy Crysby blah blah blah" doesn't pertain to Mario's argument or comments, so why even bring them up? Just because the Pens have Cooke, that doesn't mean Mario can't complain when a game turns into a goonfest.

I think Mario was overly dramatic with the James Harrision "I'm out" comment, but it was good to see an owner stick up for his team.

I personally have no problem with Mario (or any owner/gm/player) voicing their opinion - in fact it's refreshing that some do since it's needed from time to time.

I just hope that he gets a hefty fine from Gary; how much of a field day would the media have if Mario gets away with what he said?

Here a small statistic *penalties*;
1st FLA 183 minor / 14 major / 460 PIMs total
29th NYI 244 minor / 48 major / 1022 PIMs total
30th PIT 290 minor / 63 major / 1113 PIMs total *all three highest*

Furthermore a brawl needs two parties, so why is Pittsburgh in the victim role?

Pittsburgh has been the "league darling" since Crosby's arrival, and considering who Mario has on his team (Cooke), and the fighting majors - he comes across as the textbook definition of a hypocrite.

With the hefty fine of $100,000 going to Isles owner Charles Wang - ya gotta wonder if he's thinking of putting the team up for sale, and/or relocating the team outta Long Island...This has gotta really piss him off.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#204 Vladimir316

Vladimir316

Rookie

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:54 AM

F.Michael you are absolutely right aboot hypocritsm.
And before I get argues of including the penalties of the NYI-PEN game in my stats, hereby one without;
29th STL PIMs total of 862
30th PEN PIMs total of 970

NYI is not even second last anymore and difference of 108 minutes with STL is ridiculously high.
So I think Mario better look into the Pens mirror before pointing to everyone.
Red Wings:
Serie in 7: $2(0) Serie in 6: $5 (0) Serie in 5: $7(0) Serie in 4: $10(1) Kronwalled: $5(2) Homer Screening Goal: $5(3) Eurotwin combo: $5(2) The Mule Multi Goal: $5(0) Winning Cup: $15(0)

Rangers:
Serie in 7: $4(0) Serie in 6: $7(0) Serie in 5: $10(0) Serie in 4: $15(0) Save previous rounds making finals x: $0.05(143*) Save Stanley Finals x: $0.05(0) Lundqvist Shutout: $5(0) Dubinsky Goal: $2(2) Stepan Goal: $3(0) Goal any Other Rag $1(6) Prust/Avery Fight: $3(0) Winning Cup: $20(0)

TOTAL RED WINGS: $45 TOTAL RANGERS : $10 TOTAL MONEY ON THE BOARD : $55
*objective not completed!
Updated after Second Round Wings

REST IN PEACE DEREK, YOU WILL ENFORCE A LOT MORE IN THE HEAVEN HOCKEY LEAGUE!

#205 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

I like Mario and I agree with his message, but if he really doesn't like "goon hockey", don't have a goon team. Instead of signing Matt Cooke, hang onto a talented two way forward like Dominic Moore. Instead of Eric Godard, have someone from the WBS Pens. Don't whine about fighting when you're team leads the league in fighting majors and penalty minutes. When you're team is clean, then you can complain about it. That would be like a serial killer complaining about violence in the world. There would be less if you cleaned up your own act. Mario called what happened on Friday a "travesty". No, some piece of garbaging delivering a cheap shot to a skill player and essentially ruining his career and not getting suspended or fined or anything is a "travesty".

#206 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

From Toronto Star:

But some came out firing at Lemieux. One unnamed NHL governor criticized Lemieux for failing to show up at league meetings, according to Sportsnet.ca.

Cherry picker.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#207 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Mario needs to STFU. His message is correct but he has the POS Cheap shot artist in the league on his team. The Pens are getting what they have coming.

#208 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

Bill Daly already stated yesterday that Mario wouldn't get fined.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#209 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

It absolutely pertains to Mario's comments. Mario releases a sanctimonious statement about protecting players and the integrity of the game, then he walks into his office and signs Cooke's paycheck. The Pens lead the league in major penalties. They lead the league in PIMs.

It's not that his comments were wrong, they were just hypocritical and melodramatic ("I'm taking my puck and going home!").

If he wants to improve player safety and the integrity of the game, start by not giving dirty players like Matt Cooke a job. Use the Pens franchise as an example of how to improve the integrity and safety of the game, rather than sitting from on high and chastising the NHL for it and threatening to quit (again).

#210 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Think Mario will be fined like Lombardi was?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#211 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

An embarrassment to the league is what Pittsburgh is without Crosby or Malkin.

You don't know how tempted I am to change one word in your statement. Guess which one.
Posted Image

#212 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

Nice article from Scott Burnside on espn.com calling Mario out.

http://sports.espn.g...cott&id=6120121

#213 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

And I still don't think Mario's getting fined because:

Bill Daly: "We are entirely comfortable with how Friday night's events were handled. We have no other response to Mr. Lemieux's statement."

A response would be a fine. Baby Mario is coddled too much by the league to get a fine.

ABV_sig.png

#214 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

OK Mario. Walk away then. We'll notice you're gone and it will be a huge loss to the current game. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#215 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

OK Mario. Walk away then. We'll notice you're gone and it will be a huge loss to the current game. :rolleyes:

And take that annoying kid with you. :P

ABV_sig.png

#216 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Now confirmed - no fine for Mario.

@dshoalts NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly says no fine for Mario Lemieux for ripping the league.

ABV_sig.png

#217 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Now confirmed - no fine for Mario.

Okay - so every owner has a free pass now?
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#218 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

Okay - so every owner has a free pass now?

I think if you are going to come across as a big baby you can say whatever you want.

Hurts your credibility when you stomp your feet like that.

Posted Image

#219 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

If he's serious, Lemieux's ownership stake has to easily be worth in the tens of millions of dollars. He could have walked away quietly instead of pulling this whole drama queen act, but regardless. . .

I support him if he has a desire to found his own hockey league with his money, his rules, whatever, and if he honestly believes he can do better. He might, who knows? He can take 87 with him.

#220 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

Mario won't sell the Penguins. He's just being dramatic for the sake of making his point.

I agree with him that the entire game was bulls***. The Islanders really brought gooning it up to a new level. Scoring 9 goals on them and having some fair fights would've suited the situation just fine. But attacking a guy from behind and ganging up on them non-stop was retarded. At some point their coach should've said "hey I think we made our point".

If Mario doesn't want this type of s*** to happen he should take a long hard look one of his own cheap-shotting scumbag players. Waive that bag of s*** once his suspension is over.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft