• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#61 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

I read on another site that Konopka said the game was in response to Fleury and Johnson laughing/smiling after DiPietro was knocked out last game.

i can understand that.

but they didn't know that his face was broken at the time. it just looked like he one-punched him.
Posted Image

#62 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:50 AM

i guess this is the "questionable" hit. doesn't look to bad to me - looks a lot worse at full speed. i think the islanders just want an excuse to fight, since they have so little else.

Posted Image

#63 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

Brent Johnson pales in comparison to Ray Emery.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#64 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Can't say I don't absolutely love seeing the Pens dealing with all their troubles: injuries to whiny baby cindy and Malkin, amongst others. And, seeing them get beat up all over the place, and 9 goals scored on them. I love it.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#65 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

I think what Martin tried to do was absolutely pathetic.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#66 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

I see the Wings-Avs fights as different. There was genuinely bad blood. This just seems to be a couple of goons wanting to fight, avenging a borderline hit from a game ago. It was a lot more random than the Wings-Avs epicness.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#68 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'm glad others have said it. People saying this was disgraceful made me refer to one of the most epic games in Wings history, Avs vs Wings March 26, 1997. How would that not be the same embarrassment? What would be the difference? McCarty and the rest of the team avenged the draper hit.

AND, McCarty sucker punched Lemieux but yet nobody called him a gutless turd...

I think these games like this, seeing bad blood boil over, are absolutely awesome to see. I am sick of all sports teams being buddy buddy with each other, like NBA teams giving love to each other after games, NFL the same thing. I don't want my team to like the opponent at all!

I dunno. I don't think this game was an embarrassment. I think hockey needs this stuff once in a while.

I approve this post :thumbup:

#69 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Bylsma will be automatically fined $10,000 and suspended pending review, for letting Godard off the bench.

http://blogs.sites.p..._medium=twitter

Edit: Also Godard could be looking at a 10 game suspension. What a crazy turn around this Pens season has taken.

Love it. LOVE IT. Had a feeling Bylsma would be fined too and even though I actually like the guy (his defense of Cooke notwithstanding <_<), that was just stupid of him to allow Godard to leave the bench.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#70 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

We need to remember that the statement was more seen by more than just the Penguins. In an interview on TSN, Konopka said that they want teams to know that their star players are going to be protected.

I liked what I saw from the Isles last night. Did Martin and Gillies go over the line? Yes. However, I don't believe either of them should be suspended longer than Godard (10 game minimum for leaving the bench). Also, Haley was okay in going after Johnson. Johnson was clearly willing to fight and it looked like he was expecting it.

The next game between these two teams will be over-hyped IMO. It is right before the playoffs and I don't think the Penguins will want to expose their players to another game like this in April.

#71 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

Love it. LOVE IT. Had a feeling Bylsma would be fined too and even though I actually like the guy (his defense of Cooke notwithstanding <_<), that was just stupid of him to allow Godard to leave the bench.

i couldn't really see, but did he motion for godard to go off the bench or did godard just bolt? i know he has to have control of his players but godard's an idiot.
Posted Image

#72 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

I couldnt agree more. I just watched the game and that was the exact thing that doesnt belong in hockey. I hate the Penguins as much as the next guy but if he lands that punch he could end Talbots career. Blind sided sucker punches should result in a 25 game suspension minimum.

Oh and yes I think Mccarty should have been suspended for what he did t Lemieux.

Edited by wingfan13, 12 February 2011 - 10:40 AM.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#73 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

Was it any different than what Mac did to Claude?

Posted Image

#74 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

I couldnt agree more. I just watched the game and that was the exact thing that doesnt belong in hockey. I hate the Penguins as much as the next guy but if he lands that punch he could end Talbots career. Blind sided sucker punches should result in a 25 game suspension minimum.

After rewatching the clip a few times I don't think Martin was trying to blindside punch Talbot. If you watch closely Martin drops his gloves, grabs Talbot, tries to spin Talbot around (toward him), and then throws the punch. While it is still cheap, I believe the intent was to make Talbot face him and immediately punch him.

#75 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

You know, say what you will about the fighting and what was classy or not, but the Isles have been walked on all season long.

They stood up for the perception of Johnson and Fleury laughing at the DiPietro situation. (as laughable as it was...)
They took exception to the hit on Comeau.

Not to mention they scored 9 goals and their rook looked pretty good in net (2 goals given up on 5 minute majors)
Three of their players went to 20+ goals last night.

Right or wrong, this team stood up for themselves last night, put on a show, and made the Penguins look like the foolish ones.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#76 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

After rewatching the clip a few times I don't think Martin was trying to blindside punch Talbot. If you watch closely Martin drops his gloves, grabs Talbot, tries to spin Talbot around (toward him), and then throws the punch. While it is still cheap, I believe the intent was to make Talbot face him and immediately punch him.

To me it looked like he looked at him, saw he wasn't looking and threw a punch but who knows. You cant tell what Martin was thinking. I just hate cheap shots and they needed to be punished with very long suspensions if you want them out of the game.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#77 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

I'm glad others have said it. People saying this was disgraceful made me refer to one of the most epic games in Wings history, Avs vs Wings March 26, 1997. How would that not be the same embarrassment? What would be the difference? McCarty and the rest of the team avenged the draper hit.

AND, McCarty sucker punched Lemieux but yet nobody called him a gutless turd...

I think these games like this, seeing bad blood boil over, are absolutely awesome to see. I am sick of all sports teams being buddy buddy with each other, like NBA teams giving love to each other after games, NFL the same thing. I don't want my team to like the opponent at all!

I dunno. I don't think this game was an embarrassment. I think hockey needs this stuff once in a while.

exactly

#78 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

i wish cooke wasnt suspended I would have LOVED to see his face get smashed in by Haley

#79 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Now comes the fallout.

Godard gets ten games for coming off the bench, automatic, unless they play the "But he's a Penguin!!!" card - a card they already played this week with Cooke. He won't get more and I would be surprised if Abysmal gets more than one game/$10,000 fine as punishment.

I have a bit of trouble keeping my cheap-shotting Islanders apart, but I think Martin gets at least two for trying to fight a guy who wanted no part of it and Haley gets two to four for fighting twice in the same stoppage. The Gillies one is tough because it could be ruled under the headshots that it's a blindside hit, but seeing as a repeat offender (Cooke) got four games, it's hard to give him any more than that

Campbell might issue some five-digit fines to both the teams, weighting the Islanders heavier since they instigated a lot of the fighting.

#80 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Pretty sad how so many people here are crying about this.

Go watch some basketball if you can't stomach this kind of thing.

They actually allow fighting in hockey, meaning things like this can happen. Used to happen all the time too, especially in Detroit.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 12 February 2011 - 11:22 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.