• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#121 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

Okay, just wondering because my roommate doesn't play hockey, never has, and he loves fights. I was naively making a comparison because he plays the EA NHL games and usually fights the other team 4+ times a game. He's a Penguins fan (he's from Pittsburgh) and he says he doesn't like the Red Wings because they don't fight.

I personally think that teams with skill are much more interesting to watch than teams who just goon it up. The Red Wings might not fight as much anymore, but they usually make an attempt to "not take s*** from anyone" by beating teams on the scoreboard. Wins are much more satisfying than watching fights, IMO.

Plus, some of that grit usually comes out in our "*******" in the playoffs...Zetterberg vs. Malkin ring a bell?

Posted Image

#122 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Great game.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#123 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

# Konopka being looked at for potential violation of rule 70.2, making legal line change to start an altercation. Allows for supp discipline. less than 10 seconds ago via Twitter for iPad

# That leaves NYI Haley. No word on hearing for him yet, which might mean he won't be suspended. Too early to say. Review process ongoing. 35 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# There is some talk NYI Konopka may have come off bench on line change to fight and that may be suspendable. Being looked at. 37 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# NYI Martin and Gillies will have in-person hearings tonight in Buffalo. In person hearings allow NHL to suspend for 6 or more games. 39 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# We know Godard gets auto 10 games for coming off the bench. Suspension to Bylsma is not automatic tho. Discretionary. Fines obviously. 40 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

# NHL is currently reviewing tape of last night's NYI-PIT game for supplentary discipline purposes. 42 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

all by Mckenzie

#124 Original_6

Original_6

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'm glad the Islanders waxed Gary Bettmans protected team....they had it coming. Matt cook should already be bounced out of the NHL and it's not like has hasn't done this kind of crap when he was on another team aka knee on knee hits and what not. I remain convinced that Bettman wakes up each Monday thinking "what's going to make us look bad this week?" Since Bettman took over the officiating stinks...and the art of hockey is gone. Colin Campbell is a (explicative) and completely incompetent at his job. Bettman and Campbell both need to step down.

#125 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Great article from Bleacherreport.com talking about the joke that Paul Steigerwald is.

A New Level of Unprofessionalism

Unprofessional.

The best word to describe the comments made by FSN employee and play-by-play commentator of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Paul Steigerwald, during Pittsburgh's 9-3 blow out loss to the New York Islanders on Friday night.

Throughout the emotion-filled contest, which featured numerous fights and major penalties, Steigerwald became so irate with what was happening on the ice that he began to make derogatory comments about the New York Islanders organization.

"When you're one of the worst teams in hockey and an embarrassment to the National Hockey League, I guess nothing really matters at this point," said Steigerwald.

Later, he goes on to berate New York Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, saying " I'm sure Garth Snow is just proud as punch of his team right now."

For a clearly upset Steigerwald to berate the New York Islanders organization, its players, and it's General Manager shows a complete lack of professionalism, respect, and class.

Announcers have a tough job in that they have to be able to cater to their employer, casual fans, and die hard fans all at the same time.

The task becomes even tougher when the game they're commentating on turns into complete chaos, and they're forced with the task of not only trying to find positive light in a very grim situation, but trying to keep a dwindling viewing audience from changing the channel.

Making personal, malicious comments against the opposing hockey club isn't a solution.

Previously having joked about the death of former hockey player Hobey Baker in a December 2009 Penguins game, it will be shameful if FSN Pittsburgh or the NHL themselves do not seek disciplinary action.

Inflammatory comments from a person who makes a living trying to promote the game of hockey should not be taken lightly.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#126 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

We already knew about the lack of integrity from the Pittsburgh broadcast team, but that article is great nonetheless.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#127 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Am I going to be the first to defend Godard? It was the right move under the circumstances. You can't let your goalie square off against a goon while your teammates and officials on the ice are all busy doing something else. I honestly hope they reduce his suspension

Edited by SeeinRed, 12 February 2011 - 05:59 PM.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#128 Original_6

Original_6

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Great article from Bleacherreport.com talking about the joke that Paul Steigerwald is.

"When you're one of the worst teams in hockey and an embarrassment to the National Hockey League, I guess nothing really matters at this point," said Steigerwald.

Hmmm I seem to remember the Pens being a s***hole of a team...and lets not forget...if Crybaby Crosby or Malkin were on the ice last night Bettman would have called Homeland Security and wisked them off the ice. Lets see what the NHL hands down to these schmucks..or...what they sweep under the rug.

#129 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Am I going to be the first to defend Godard. It was the right move under the circumstances. You can't let your goalie square off against a goon while your teammates and officials on the ice are all busy doing something else. I honestly hope they reduce his suspension

I understand why he did it, but any reduction means a league-mandated thumbs-up to a return to bench clearing brawls and no one in hockey is willing to come out and say they want that.

#130 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

Am I going to be the first to defend Godard? It was the right move under the circumstances. You can't let your goalie square off against a goon while your teammates and officials on the ice are all busy doing something else. I honestly hope they reduce his suspension

From the footage I've watched, Haley was skating straight towards the box. Looks like Johnson started chirping at him.

And what happened to Bob Errey? Can't see the difference from when a player (Okposo) is pushed into the goalie or bowls him over intentionally? Maybe it's the other commentator rubbing off on him.

#131 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

The Egyptians got rid of the dictator and the Isles beat up on the Pens, Feb 11th = great day for the world.

#132 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

Penguins bus in accident in NYC

Not really related to the game, but some of the comments below the story make reference to the game and made me laugh.

Edited by McAwesome, 12 February 2011 - 09:15 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#133 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

i played AAA, and juniors.

That experience and you don't realize that fights don't win games? I don't know about you, but I'd rather win games than win fights.

Who would you rather be?

Detroit- 2nd fewest penalty minutes, 4th in overall points.
St. Louis- 4th most penalty minutes, 23rd in overall points.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#134 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

That experience and you don't realize that fights don't win games? I don't know about you, but I'd rather win games than win fights.

Who would you rather be?

Detroit- 2nd fewest penalty minutes, 4th in overall points.
St. Louis- 4th most penalty minutes, 23rd in overall points.

Or how about the Pens and Flyers, who are good at winning games and fights?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#135 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

Or how about the Panthers, who are bad at both?

Oh snap you just got told son.

(I hope that it's unnecessary to explain my sarcasm)

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#136 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

Sportsnet's John Shannon tweeted thusly:
Only suspension for Penguins is the automatic suspension under Rule 70.1 for Eric Godard...Byslma off the hook.

http://www.hockeyfig...teams/1/reg2011

Philly's 15th in the league in fights.

Pens didn't win too many fights Thursday, and in fact seemed to be (smartly) shying away from them and turtling. Without Cros-kin, they're also going to have a tough time winning games.

#137 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

Or how about the Panthers, who are bad at both?

Oh snap you just got told son.

(I hope that it's unnecessary to explain my sarcasm)

Of course.

Sportsnet's John Shannon tweeted thusly:
Only suspension for Penguins is the automatic suspension under Rule 70.1 for Eric Godard...Byslma off the hook.

http://www.hockeyfig...teams/1/reg2011

Philly's 15th in the league in fights.

Pens didn't win too many fights Thursday, and in fact seemed to be (smartly) shying away from them and turtling. Without Cros-kin, they're also going to have a tough time winning games.

I just don't like posters who suggest that fighting somehow means a team isn't good enough to do anything else, like win.

That's bulls***. There are plenty of good teams who have fought a lot and won a lot at the same time.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#138 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

The suspensions:

Godard PIT - 10 games

Gillies NYI - 9 games (not enough in my mind)

Martin NYI - 4 games

NYI as a whole - $100,000 fine

#139 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

I believe the rules call for Bylsma to be fined as well.

#140 teebo

teebo

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

The suspensions:

Godard PIT - 10 games

Gillies NYI - 9 games (not enough in my mind)

Martin NYI - 4 games

NYI as a whole - $100,000 fine

i thought gillies would get more as well, but otherwise i agree with it