• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heaten

Draper the goal scorer

Rate this topic

Hopefully only one of Draper/Miller/Eaves returns next season, doesn't matter to me which one it is. Draper brings better defense and faceoff. Eaves brings more offense and smiles. Miller brings more Michigan aesthetics. Whichever one is re-signed, I hope it's for a million or less.

Last year, and even a couple of months ago, I'd have agreed with you. But he's a -7 since his NYE hat trick (16 games), is throwing only a hit a game and isn't blocking shots anymore either.

I like him as an energy guy at $750,000, but I'm not sure he's the right fit next year when he wants something more.

Where has he ever said he wants more?

Also, he has lost the PP time he was seeing and since guys have become healthy, he's lost TOI too... and even then, he's still been very solid on the PK and great on the forecheck... he's Dan Cleary 2.0, but with a harder shot...

Where has he ever said he wants more?

Also, he has lost the PP time he was seeing and since guys have become healthy, he's lost TOI too... and even then, he's still been very solid on the PK and great on the forecheck... he's Dan Cleary 2.0, but with a harder shot...

He still gets more TOI than Abdelkader and in the same span AppleFritters is a +1. With everyone healthy, i value Draper, Miller, and Eaves the same. With injuries, I value Draper and Eaves the same. In the playoffs, I'd value Draper higher than a few players in the top 9. But like I said early, any one of Draper/Eaves/Miller I'd be ok keeping.

And I don't see Eaves as Cleary 2.0. Cleary is a better goal scorer and is more tenacious in the O-Zone. Cleary can fight through checks and battle down low, Eaves can't.

No.

Draper should retire. He's played better this season than I thought, but there's younger and bigger guys we need on our 4th line. Draper is not going to be around for much longer anyway.

He's been a staple of this organization longer than anyone but Lidstrom, however, it's time to move on.

Sad ... but true.

I hate to see old blood retire but we need some new blood to make some impact.

He still gets more TOI than Abdelkader and in the same span AppleFritters is a +1. With everyone healthy, i value Draper, Miller, and Eaves the same. With injuries, I value Draper and Eaves the same. In the playoffs, I'd value Draper higher than a few players in the top 9. But like I said early, any one of Draper/Eaves/Miller I'd be ok keeping.

And I don't see Eaves as Cleary 2.0. Cleary is a better goal scorer and is more tenacious in the O-Zone. Cleary can fight through checks and battle down low, Eaves can't.

What the hell does Abs have to do with Eaves? It wasn't an Abs or Eaves question and Eaves also has a couple goals in that span, whereas Abs has none... Eaves is a natural goal scorer, who is a great skater that has just taken on the role of a bottom 6 guy, Eaves can play in all situations and his versatility is what makes me compare him to Cleary, that and his work ethic... you need guys like that, that can be dropped into any situation

What the hell does Abs have to do with Eaves? It wasn't an Abs or Eaves question and Eaves also has a couple goals in that span, whereas Abs has none... Eaves is a natural goal scorer, who is a great skater that has just taken on the role of a bottom 6 guy, Eaves can play in all situations and his versatility is what makes me compare him to Cleary, that and his work ethic... you need guys like that, that can be dropped into any situation

I thought you were justifying Eaves' -7 since NYE with a lack of TOI, so I was comparing his TOI with Abdelkader, calm down killer.

I don't feel to strongly either way, I think Draper has earned the right to go out on his own terms.

I do think, the way he's playing, it's probably the best time for him to retire after this year, and go out with a bang, but by no means will be disappointed if he comes back for another year.

I'm glad draper is having a good season. I don't think he should be signed for next season. No to Osgood, no to Modano, no to Draper. We have plenty of young guys who can play on that 4th line. Holland will probably sign everyone and say, "we'll see what happens in camp".

you can throw Datsyuk in there too, on any other team he makes more than 6.7 million.

Yes, but when he signed his current contract it was a bigger percentage of the cap hit then it is now. Also with two lackluster playoff performances before he re-signed people questioned the amount as well.

Why can't it be Mursak/Emmerton over Eaves?

14 forwards next year, rotate the bottom five:

Dats-Z-Franz

Flip-Hud-Clear

Bert-Homer-Helm

Draper-Abby-Miller

Mursak-Emmerton

Seven d

Lids(please)-Kron

Raf-Ericsson

Stu-Kindl-Smith

No real cap issues with this team, yet still decent depth for forward injuries...

In a perfect world I'd love to keep everybody, yet so many people harp on wanting young faces. Eaves is still in his mid-20s with the most potential upside of 3rd/4th liners we are talking about.

I was thinking this off/on over the past week or so. Not so much of re-signing Draper but do you keep him in the lineup when everybody is fully healthy on the roster again. He's showing some unusual offensive flair here/there and certainly making it hard to perhaps put him out of the lineup when everybody gets back. Definitely not a bad thing.

I want to see young guns play a bit more but I understand and respect the loyalty factor for this organization, and just in general for business or sports. Draper has earned the right to retire on his own terms within reason for this organization. If he thinks he can still go for another season or two, I'm all for re-signing him even if he's just a fill in or 30 game-a-season player or whatever.

No.

Draper should retire. He's played better this season than I thought, but there's younger and bigger guys we need on our 4th line. Draper is not going to be around for much longer anyway.

He's been a staple of this organization longer than anyone but Lidstrom, however, it's time to move on.

Agreed. It's great that he's been playing well, but he's still replaceable by younger and cheaper guys.

Maybe he can work in the organization as the faceoff/beard-growing coach (until Z retires).

The thing about Draper is he is a LEADER!

On his last few goals I noticed something about him that I think is well planned out on his part: He gets more excited than just about any player I have ever seen score a goal- like it's his first ever NHL goal. The smile on his face just draws his teammates together. I think he does it on purpose because he knows that the team has been going though some struggles the past few weeks and this is just a little way he can turn the ship a degree in a positive way. It's a way to just make the guys part of a team.

After the Sunday Boston game he was waiting in the tunnel high fiving, smacking and Arse grabbing all the other players- just being light hearted and fun. One of the players threw a playful (yet hard) shoulder into him and just about knocked him over- I think it was Z. Of course this is another example of how he brings a lightness to the team that makes the guys want to be there. I think he is a bigger glue to this team than we may ever know.

Work ethic- I have heard how he is one of the hardest working men on the team behind the scenes during workouts, etc. I'm sure this is something that rubs off on the younger guys on and off the ice.

He isn't playing poorly- in fact he seems to be doing fine enough for a 4th line. We all want to see what our young guys can do, but without a seasoned grizzled vet to really nurture them along the way and to shape the character of the team- the Wings might not be what we now know them to be. I really think the intangibles of a guy like Drapes are well worth the money. That said a few months ago I was ready for him to hang them up along with Malts. Granted- a pay cut does need to happen.