• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Five years, $26 million for Big Buff in Atlanta

Rate this topic

Overpayment.. You'd think they'd have some more bargaining power for a guy who just went a month without a point. It's the Thrashers though so their fans will be pleased and its pretty key for them to keep their stars going forward

Guest CaliWingsNut

Overpayment.. You'd think they'd have some more bargaining power for a guy who just went a month without a point. It's the Thrashers though so their fans will be pleased and its pretty key for them to keep their stars going forward

I don't think it's an overpayment.

It's in line with what many teams are paying for their top defensemen, while he has now proven he can play both forward and defense.

5mil a year for 5 years? Smells like overpayment to me.

He has no history as a scoring defenseman to back-up the idea that he can maintain his level of offensive production. He's been in a massive slump this month and that certainly doesn't make me feel more confident that his offensive production this season is going to continue for the next 5 years. Add to that the fact that he doesn't play on the PK and isn't even the best defenseman on his team (see: Enstrom) and this deal reaks of overpayment.

Maybe Buff will regain his scoring touch and teams won't figure him out and start to neutralize him (see: Green and Phaneuf). Then again, maybe his love of jumping into the play will start to bite him in the ass as teams break his game down.

5 million a year for 2 years would have been more reasonable.

Seems about right to me. Guys on defense who can score yah 55+ points a season tend to get paid pretty well. Plus it's his first season there as a DMan and he is only 25, he will probably be a 60-80 point defensemen in a year or two. This might be a steal in a couple years, unless they don't retain their assets and sign a couple more players for a serious playoff push.

5mil a year for 5 years? Smells like overpayment to me.

He has no history as a scoring defenseman to back-up the idea that he can maintain his level of offensive production. He's been in a massive slump this month and that certainly doesn't make me feel more confident that his offensive production this season is going to continue for the next 5 years. Add to that the fact that he doesn't play on the PK and isn't even the best defenseman on his team (see: Enstrom) and this deal reaks of overpayment.

Maybe Buff will regain his scoring touch and teams won't figure him out and start to neutralize him (see: Green and Phaneuf). Then again, maybe his love of jumping into the play will start to bite him in the ass as teams break his game down.

5 million a year for 2 years would have been more reasonable.

That's not really Green's fault, that is more Jobba the Dreau. Case in point, see OV.

That's not really Green's fault, that is more Jobba the Dreau. Case in point, see OV.

Green fizzled towards the end of last year and sucked donkey balls in every playoff game he's ever played. :P

But I do agree that Washington needs a new coach.

Obviously a huge overpayment.

Atlanta better hope he gets to play with Enstrom for the duration of that 5 year deal.

Good on him though, he has taken his opportunity this year and become a real leader for that team. Besides, an overpayment is probably required to keep someone in Atlanta for that long.

Guest Crymson

Seems about right to me. Guys on defense who can score yah 55+ points a season tend to get paid pretty well. Plus it's his first season there as a DMan and he is only 25, he will probably be a 60-80 point defensemen in a year or two.

I sense flawed logic.

It might be an overpayment for a team with some history, but for a team just struggling to put butts in the seats and barely making the cap floor... they have to pay SOMEONE... I think they're just greatful to actually be keeping a player they can market to their fans as a face for the franchise