• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

As soon as the game started last night, i noticed an extreme amount of red in the stands in the lower bowl (the only part you can see from the broadcast camera).

I noticed back in like 97-00 or so, a lot of wings fans at road games, it was red wings mania (much like the cowboys and yankees).... but this year has been amazing, IMO. LETS GO RED WINGS chants at a decent amount of the games, red sweaters all over the stands, cheering when the wings score a goal..... i didnt notice that as much since the early 2000s, but the road fans seem to be in abundance again.
So, whats the deal? why does it seem that all of the sudden there are more (or as many as when detroit first became hockeytown) wings fans than ever? they have been dominant for about 20 years now, so its not like its because of a recent string of success. Or am i just forgetting, and its been like this for a long long time?

i will say this though... i love it :cool:

#2 Lord Stanely

Lord Stanely

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Location:North Central Iowa, via Chicago, via Adrian, MI; via Warren

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

Tampa game was crazy with wings fans- Mickey kept talking about it.

I was at a Wild game this December and there were a TON of Wings fans. The entire area right behind the Wings bench where I was sitting was all Wings fans.
Stuck in God-forsaken North Central Iowa with no hockey, hills, food or trees!

#3 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hence the "Hockeytown - No Limits" campaign. The Wings have by far and away the largest fan base of any NHL team based in the United States.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#4 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Tampa game was crazy with wings fans- Mickey kept talking about it.

I was at a Wild game this December and there were a TON of Wings fans. The entire area right behind the Wings bench where I was sitting was all Wings fans.

last night was the most red ive ever seen, that i can recall, at an away game. it was quite a sight (from the TV anyways :hehe:

#5 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

When the Lightning or Panthers play a northern team at home, there's always a ton of opposing jerseys in the stadium because of snow birds. In fact, didn't one of the Florida teams actually advertise to the opposing team's fans in order to sell more tickets?

Same type of thing with the Coyotes. People don't grow up in Arizona, most are transplants.

Edited by ACallToArms, 18 February 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#6 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

And this is why so many other team's fans hate the Wings. Gotta say though, let 'em hate. It only makes us stronger. :D

#7 Datsyuk Fan

Datsyuk Fan

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

It definitely wasn't limited to just the lower bowl last night. Pretty much every section was at least 50% red. There were definitely some older people there, but it seemed to be mostly people in their 30s and 40s. Some of us move to Florida before we retire :)

#8 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

Some of us move to Florida before we retire :)

LIES!!! :P

#9 HudlerFanatic

HudlerFanatic

You're my boy Huds!

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Heck! I want to say it was more like 75/25 Red in the stands! It was insane!!!! There was a chick that was by us that shouted "Let's go Bolts" and everyone just turned and looked at her like she was insane! HAHA! Not only are there the snowbirds....there is a large military fan base of people from Michigan...with the CG Bases and MacDill here as well!
Las't nights game was amazing and I am so glad we got to go!
(and I didn't see any other Hudler jerseys!)

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

The quote of the night came from Daniels when they were talking about the Wings crowds at away games. It went something like:

"There are a lot at Phoenix games, too, at least back when they were attracting crowds."
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

Everyone got the hell out of Detroit and moved to other places but they know where their loyalties lie.

I read an article one time (I'll try to find it) that said the Red Wings fan base is one of the best traveling fan bases of any professional or college team. I believe it came from SI but I'm not sure but it's so true. Every time you watch a game on TV or listen on the radio, you see Red in the audience and it's never just a patch, it's everywhere. When you listen and the Wings score, you can hear the Red Wings fans cheering. Last night was a ridculous example. They couldn't stop talking about the amount of Red in the crowd. That's one of my favorite parts about being a "wing-nut" is that almost any city you visit, you are going to find fellow Wing fans.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

Bandwagoners, no doubt. <_<
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

Bandwagoners, no doubt. Posted Image

:lol:

#14 Mikeal

Mikeal

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

I'm heading to Minnesota for the Sunday game. Xcel looks like a nice stadium.

#15 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Man, it had to have sucked to be Tampa and look up into the stands and see more fans of your opponent at a home game that your own fans.

The lower bowl looked like it was about 75% Wings fans!!!

#16 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Last night was close to what it looked like at the Wings/Thrashers game down here in Atlanta. It was amazing. I loved it.

#17 BOUTY

BOUTY

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

I was at the Boston game last Friday night with my son, who's a big Bruin fan I had my red Wings sweatshirt on and thought I may be in for a long night sitting amongst Bruin season ticket holders. I was surprised how many Wing fans there were at the Garden. They definitely had a voice each time Detroit scored. We had dinner and beers at "Fours", a little 2-story sports pub across the street and the Wings fans almost outnumbered the Bruins fans in there 2-1. It was a pleasent surprise. We were all buying each other beers. I met Jimmy Howard's father-in-law in line to the men's room, who was down from Maine. I think people just like many of those original 6 teams and they have a huge national following. Detroit has been a winner for so long and a pretty class organization, they've become a measuring stick for other organizations.

#18 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Red Wings fans usually comprise about 25-35% of the crowd here in Denver.

#19 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

Like us or not, but Bettman BETTER kiss our @sses and never take us for granted. We fill the arenas of all his crappy southern markets!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#20 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

Red Wings fans usually comprise about 25-35% of the crowd here in Denver.

I second that - always a huge amount of Wings fans here in Denver at the games. Last year I went into the restroom and it was completely full of Wings fans singing away, and then some Av's fan tried to start an Avs chant and we all drowned him out.

Fun.