• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pashaforprez01

Octopus Twirling in Tampa Bay?

Rate this topic

Did anyone see that crew member of the Lightning twirl the octopus in the air as he was taking it off the ice. It happened right after the second Datsyuk goal. I am posting the NHL.com feed so you can fast forward to it. I couldn't find it on YouTube.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="hlg=20102011,2,865&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="hlg=20102011,2,865&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Is this dude a Wings fan or something? More power to him.

Sorry that the embedded link didn't work. Gonna have to go to NHL.com to see it. Trust me it's worth it.

Guest CaliWingsNut

They should be fined and required to not perform such acts!!!!

It gets goo on the ice!

I did notice that the Florida fans haven't caught on to boiling it beforehand.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Uh oh - I remember when i asked about where to find an octopus when I attended a game earlier this year....and the lgw police informed me that this tradition is ONLY reserved for playoffs and very rare big games on occassion. I mean, I didnt know - I had no idea. Luckily I was informed. These poor fans in Tampa unfortunately don't have the benefit of being a member of such a superior internet fan base that no one was there to tell them the proper way of being a Red Wings fan. Can we get a facial picture of the fans who threw the octopi and perhaps use google picasa technology to find out where they live so that we can better inform them?

Uh oh - I remember when i asked about where to find an octopus when I attended a game earlier this year....and the lgw police informed me that this tradition is ONLY reserved for playoffs and very rare big games on occassion. I mean, I didnt know - I had no idea. Luckily I was informed. These poor fans in Tampa unfortunately don't have the benefit of being a member of such a superior internet fan base that no one was there to tell them the proper way of being a Red Wings fan. Can we get a facial picture of the fans who threw the octopi and perhaps use google picasa technology to find out where they live so that we can better inform them?

what? i think this thread is talking about the Tampa Bay worker who picked the octo up and twisted it around his head like a helicopter. not the fans that threw it. unless i miss read your post.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

While it is indeed true that throwing octopi is reserved for "special occasions," I believe this particular fan was just giving Stevie Y his chance to see an octopi this year. :)

I wish there was a shot of Steve in one of the luxury boxes watching that. I hoped he enjoyed it as much as the Wings fans did. I just think it's awesome the guy twirled it over his head. Al's heir apparent, maybe?

I do agree that the throwing of the 'pi should not happen outside of the playoffs, but considering our connection to the Lightning, an exception could be made this one time.

Screw the playoff thing, throw that sucker any chance you get when on the road. But only throw it after a goal, as long as that goal puts us at a tie or lead or pads our lead. Just never throw it before or during the national anthem. After the national anthem is ok.

I do agree that special occasions at home, non playoff games, but away games are always fair games.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/tampa-...46928405366729

Quote:

On behalf of the Lightning Ice Crew, I'd like to 1st and foremost thank each and every fan that we have that come out game in/game out to support our team. We are blessed with the amazing opportunity to work for a world class organization for the best sport in the world. All of us on the Ice Crew take our job very seriously and wish to portray the lightning with the utmost standard.

As for last nights events with a member of the Ice Crew and the octopus, is a mistake. The employee who did that, thought of it nothing more than a hockey tradition. It wasn't meant as a insult to the lightning team or organization. He was misinformed and appologized as soon as he realized what was done.

After speaking with the individual after the event he is more embarrassed and ashamed than anything. He in no way meant to disrespect the team, the coaches, fans or employees.

At this point the Lightning will handle the incident the best way that they see fit.

We look forward to Saturday night for the lightning to take on the Panthers and get back into the winning ways.

Thank you very much-

Ice Crew Member

:)

lmao is this guy serious? tampa fans/mgmt must have been pissed! way to cheer for the visiting team guy.

oh well its his problem now. GO WINGS!

Maybe this guy was just clueless. "Hey, someone threw seafood on the ice. Hey, our team plays close to the ocean where this little fella lives. They must have thrown this octopus for the Bolts" *proceeds to twirl said octopus*

On the other hand, if this guy really is a Wings fan that happens to work at the stadium, I'd like to buy that man a beer. He's got balls!

Well, if you live in Florida and only get to see the Wings live once a year, it's a big game for you. Throw that octopi!!!

I saw this live. I was explaining to my girlfriend the reasoning behind it. I saw it as a sign of respect, but apparently he didn't know any better. He didn't just come up with that on his own though, he had to have known, too much of a coincidence if you ask me. I thought it was effin awesome either way!

Maybe this guy was just clueless. "Hey, someone threw seafood on the ice. Hey, our team plays close to the ocean where this little fella lives. They must have thrown this octopus for the Bolts" *proceeds to twirl said octopus*

On the other hand, if this guy really is a Wings fan that happens to work at the stadium, I'd like to buy that man a beer. He's got balls!

Well, if you live in Florida and only get to see the Wings live once a year, it's a big game for you. Throw that octopi!!!

That's what I'm saying. If you're a transplant or a Wings fan, throw that octopus on the ice when the Wings come to visit!

I find it scary that someone employed by an NHL team does not know about the Octopus being a Detroit tradition. I also find it hard to believe that someone on the Ice Crew hasn't heard the whole Octopus Matter controversy.

I think the guy needs to move to Detroit.

I find it scary that someone employed by an NHL team does not know about the Octopus being a Detroit tradition. I also find it hard to believe that someone on the Ice Crew hasn't heard the whole Octopus Matter controversy.

I think the guy needs to move to Detroit.

Yeah and bring that General Manager guy with him wink.gif

I saw this live. I was explaining to my girlfriend the reasoning behind it. I saw it as a sign of respect, but apparently he didn't know any better. He didn't just come up with that on his own though, he had to have known, too much of a coincidence if you ask me. I thought it was effin awesome either way!

Yeah, that to me is no different than the coaching staff standing and applauding a player or team for reaching a milestone in game. Happens all the time. Organizations should show respect for each other.

If every team wanted to do this I would be okay, because its just celebrating something that keeps hockey true to it's roots and relevant. If you ask people about hockey in a Family Feud style, I would bet that one of the top 7 answers would include throwing Octopi. Twirling it seemed to be like one ice crew saluting another.