• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumlife19

Winter Classic to Detroit?!

Rate this topic

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So how is the 3rd largest stadium have closer seating than a baseball park? what the hell am I looking at here!?!? looks like a bug farm on white poster board. THIS is too far away for a professional hockey game IMO.

This picture was taken wayyyyyy above the stands. That is not what the view actually looks like. I have been to football games at that stadium while sitting near the top of the stands and the view is just fine.

Looks more like this

michigan.jpg

Edited by Original-Six

I kinda agree that there are plenty of other US teams that deserve a WC at home. So how about this. Wings - Blue Jackets at Ohio Stadium? Will be like a Wings home game even though its technically on the road ;)

I would rather have it at the Big House or not at all and let some other franchise play in one. 3rd largest stadium in the world? The atmosphere would be unmatched and there would be much better seating/viewing. Baseball stadiums suck when trying to host a hockey game in them. The seating is to far back.

69670,h=358,pd=1,w=620.jpg

yes please...

If that picture was taken from a seat, I'd be pissed for having spent money on a ticket. It looks like a bunch of ants skating around there. I'm all for having 100K Red Wings fans packed into a stadium, but if you can't even see the game whats the point? I'd rather watch it at a bar where I can see what's going on.

This picture was taken wayyyyyy above the stands. That is not what the view actually looks like. I have been to football games at that stadium while sitting near the top of the stands and the view is just fine.

Looks more like this

michigan.jpg

It looks to me that this was taken about half way down.... if not closer when you count the rows. any stadium that holds 100,000+ is NOT gonna be like this at the top... Closer to the one I posted. Big House is OK for college...Student discounts on tickets and such.... too big.

This isn't going to be played at Michigan Stadium because alcohol cannot be sold there. This is the reason why an NHL game won't be played there.

Also, everyone at LGW bitched with Pittsburgh got another crack at the Winter classic. Yet, when Detroit is mentioned, everyone is ok with it? What a bunch of crap. I am against it as well. I say they involve some other teams.

This isn't going to be played at Michigan Stadium because alcohol cannot be sold there. This is the reason why an NHL game won't be played there.

Also, everyone at LGW bitched with Pittsburgh got another crack at the Winter classic. Yet, when Detroit is mentioned, everyone is ok with it? What a bunch of crap. I am against it as well. I say they involve some other teams.

Once again, alcohol COULD be served, it's not a university sanctioned event.

And yeah, we complained about Pittsburgh getting another one, but that just shows the "each team gets a chance" theory is out the window. It no longer applies, therefore, we're okay with Detroit getting another one.

I'm going to start saving now, if they get to hold a Winter Classic in Michigan, I'm going. I don't see how anyone who lives in Michigan could not want the Winter Classic here. It'd be great for everyone involved. I'd hate for it to be at Comerica, because I don't think playing hockey games in baseball diamonds works all that well. Plus, as someone who doesn't care for baseball, a newer bank-named ballpark has no nostalgia or wonderment for me.

The Big House however is HUGE and an landmark in southeast Michigan. I've been there once and I was blown away at the size of it. The only thing I didn't like about the Big Chill was how far the crowds were from the game, I imagine the fans could hardly see anything of the game.

I bet it'll be held at Comerica, but it'd be awesome to have it at the Big House.

I'll add, I may have to go too. Even if it's in CoPa, I may have to get tickets.

If that picture was taken from a seat, I'd be pissed for having spent money on a ticket. It looks like a bunch of ants skating around there. I'm all for having 100K Red Wings fans packed into a stadium, but if you can't even see the game whats the point? I'd rather watch it at a bar where I can see what's going on.

Dont worry its not from a stadium seat. Maybe a helicopter seat...

It isn't. Look at the perspective. There are no seats above the suites. It's from overhead.

This is the view from my seat, which was in the very last row under the south scoreboard.

36277_174370699251224_100000348851649_450232_5238422_n.jpg

There were no problems seeing the action, even at the far end.

The Big House would be great because of more chances for us to get a ticket. I agree though if it were to happen I'm sure Illitch would be pushing for Comerica.

Why? I mean tickets alone would make more sense to sell more tickets than get a larger percentage of much fewer tickets.

It would make sense by far... Why not just make a deal with Michigan and host a Michigan/Michigan State baseball game at Comerica as a double header with the Tigers and call it even.

Hockey does not belong anywhere but an ice rink, unless the event makes it such a milestone to draw attention. Clearly in Chicago and Boston the ball parks made the most sense, due to history. In Michigan the history, size, and atmosphere all point to the big house.

There is no way that that park in Detroit is better than the Big House. Not one way.

It would take place in the city not a college campus. the game is set up to give the city its played in recognition. with the winter blast going on the city is the place. Illitch would not be happy taking a game like that out of the city with as much as he tries to do for it.

It isn't. Look at the perspective. There are no seats above the suites. It's from overhead.

This is the view from my seat, which was in the very last row under the south scoreboard.

36277_174370699251224_100000348851649_450232_5238422_n.jpg

There were no problems seeing the action, even at the far end.

What kind of camera what that taken with??? what was the zoom on it?

Read about this recently, and I am not reading much into this given how Bettman is a master of just dodging questions/not answering them in context.

Before Pittsburgh got to play in a 2nd Winter Classic due to he who shall not be named, I was flat out against other teams playing in a 2nd outdoor game before others had a turn first. Since that got thrown out the window quickly, I'm all for the Wings playing a 2nd ASAP, but won't be shocked if it happens anytime soon due to lip service by Bettman per usual.

Other places that should host it first are New York, Minnesota, and Colorado.

No opinion/preference on whether it is playing in Ann Arbor or downtown Detroit.

The game has to be played in Detroit for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, its the Detroit Red Wings, not the Ann Arbor Red Wings. Can you imagine the mocking if Detroit held a Winter Classic, and failed to have a suitable venue within city limits?

Second, Comerica is in Foxtown. Illich owns Comerica and most of Foxtown. There is no way he'd not have it at Comerica Park, with all the business it would feed into his downtown district. He's got a lot of money invested in Detroit, he wouldn't have this game hosted anywhere else.

Third, as mentioned above, the Winter Classic is as much about the location as it is about the teams playing. Why would the Red Wings organization miss an opportunity to showcase the city they play in by playing a nationally broadcasted game in Ann Arbor. It doesn't make any sense.

What kind of camera what that taken with??? what was the zoom on it?

Good question. I'm not sure. A normal Sony camera, but it wasn't mine, so I don't know the zoom.

For comparison, last row of Michigan Stadium and last row at the Joe, both with camera phone:

180857_10100383184961083_2244145_62239144_1827916_n.jpg

n2244145_48782564_819911.jpg

First and foremost, its the Detroit Red Wings, not the Ann Arbor Red Wings. Can you imagine the mocking if Detroit held a Winter Classic, and failed to have a suitable venue within city limits?

Second, Comerica is in Foxtown. Illich owns Comerica and most of Foxtown. There is no way he'd not have it at Comerica Park, with all the business it would feed into his downtown district. He's got a lot of money invested in Detroit, he wouldn't have this game hosted anywhere else.

Third, as mentioned above, the Winter Classic is as much about the location as it is about the teams playing. Why would the Red Wings organization miss an opportunity to showcase the city they play in by playing a nationally broadcasted game in Ann Arbor. It doesn't make any sense.

I agree, however the venue, IMO is almost if not more important than the city itself in this situation. It really is a made-for-TV event. Outside of Wrigley Field, Fenway Park...I don't really like the baseball stadium idea. Football fields are better. Personally, I hate the Tigers, hate Comerica Park and love Michigan and Michigan Stadium, so my opinion is clearly biased. I'd love to see Detroit get a WC and would certainly attend, but Comerica Park doesn't have that nostalgic feel that it had in Chicago or Boston.

The Big Chill kind of took some luster off of Michigan Stadium, though, because it's something we've seen in the recent past at that venue.

Sorry, this Winter Classic outdoor theme is getting stale. truth is, they are only after extra seating and that football-esque tailgate atmosphere.

Why not hold a weekend home game inside the confines of Ford Field?? A home game against Toronto or Montreal will surely sell out.

Plenty of teams don't play in their official city. The Pistons play in Auburn Hills. The Coyotes play in Glendale, AZ. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, TX. No one ever mocked these teams for playing in a certain city.

Plenty of teams don't play in their official city. The Pistons play in Auburn Hills. The Coyotes play in Glendale, AZ. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, TX. No one ever mocked these teams for playing in a certain city.

Actually didn't what's her name on city council refuse to acknowledge that Jay Leno came to detroit because he went to the palace? And she refused to call them the Detroit Pistons, instead they were the Auburn Hills Pistons. What was her name I can't remember.

Also Wings should play at Campus Martius.

*Edit* Martha Reeves.

Edited by CrimsonFlame

n2244145_48782564_819911.jpg

I think I was in that seat a time or 2......:lol:

And the owners of those teams built and use arenas in those cities willingly.... something I do not see Mike Illitch doing with the Red Wings.

With the exception of the Pistons, look at how close those cities are to the main city though. They are more like suburbs. Now, Ann Arbor and Auburn Hills are a substantial way from Detroit, so I can understand people would make a fuss about it. If you live in Arlington, you basically live in Dallas. Same for Glendale and Phoenix. There are 90 cities where I live, but they are all really one big city, although technically a "metropolitan area". Not sure Ann Arbor fits into the Detroit Metro area.

I don't really have an opinion because I'm not from Detroit so I can't speak for people and their feelings towards venues, but if there were a WC in Detroit I would think Ford Field as ideal. It's in Detroit, they could easily pack 70,000+ in there, and it fits the bill. Actually, I'm not sure why everyone just assumed The Big House would be a candidate, merely b/c there was an outdoor college hockey game there recently....? Ok, so I just looked it up and feel like an idiot b/c Ford Field is an indoor stadium. I'll go back to my corner now. :hehe:

I agree, baseball stadiums suck for hockey. Front row is like 12 million feet from the ice.