• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumlife19

Winter Classic to Detroit?!

Rate this topic

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Detroit in another winter classic? really? they the Pens of the west? Everybody was bitching about the Pens playing in another winter classic, including myself, and I'm bitching about this. How about we let other teams play in the winter classic before we start showing favorites here. How about the the Philadelphia Flyers vs the New York Rangers or the New Jersey Devils vs the Minnesota Wild and so on. Lets see other American teams first...

Detroit in another winter classic? really? they the Pens of the west? Everybody was bitching about the Pens playing in another winter classic, including myself, and I'm bitching about this. How about we let other teams play in the winter classic before we start showing favorites here. How about the the Philadelphia Flyers vs the New York Rangers or the New Jersey Devils vs the Minnesota Wild and so on. Lets see other American teams first...

Detroit vs. Boston :ph34r:

@ Comerica Park

I think I was in that seat a time or 2......:lol:

226B, last row. The greatest section in any arena in all sports. Growing up, we had season tickets in sec. 106 row 13. When I went to college, we used to get 226B tickets because they were cheap and I became addicted. I traded lower bowl tickets for 226B for that game (game 7 Anaheim) and adopted those seats for college hockey as well.

226B, row 27, seat 19. The greatest seat in all sports.

26130_10100138304787913_2244145_55271104_5487986_n.jpg

OK, enough digression in the Winter Classic thread. There should be a "best seats" thread.

With the exception of the Pistons, look at how close those cities are to the main city though. They are more like suburbs. Now, Ann Arbor and Auburn Hills are a substantial way from Detroit, so I can understand people would make a fuss about it. If you live in Arlington, you basically live in Dallas. Same for Glendale and Phoenix. There are 90 cities where I live, but they are all really one big city, although technically a "metropolitan area". Not sure Ann Arbor fits into the Detroit Metro area.

I agree, baseball stadiums suck for hockey. Front row is like 12 million feet from the ice.

I know Ann Arbor is far, so I understand people making a fuss about traveling. But the Big House has much more seats, so more people would be able to go than if it were at Comerica. If moving it from Comerica to the Big House meant the difference between you getting a ticket and watching it at home, then I'm sure you wouldn't be so upset about it then. But this is all speculation anyway. We don't even have the classic so we should worry about this issue later.

I really dont agree with people saying the heritage classic is for canadian teams, does this mean only canadian teams play in it year after year? We dont have as many teams, not to mention there should be a boston montreal, or redwings maple leafs and hawks canuks ect. To many great match ups to pass up by drawing the line at the boarder in my opinion.

I just puked a little seeing the Big House full of fans in red, but then I swallowed it remembering that it would be the Red Wings. I voted Big House. The view is fine from everywhere. I've had football seats up there and couldn't complain (about the view...The 2008 Michigan team on the other hand....)

Anyway, I'd wait a year or two for Toronto to get a little better and then have them come play us. I really don't know why, but I love watching Leafs-Wings match ups.

Once again, alcohol COULD be served, it's not a university sanctioned event.

And yeah, we complained about Pittsburgh getting another one, but that just shows the "each team gets a chance" theory is out the window. It no longer applies, therefore, we're okay with Detroit getting another one.

This is not correct. The NCAA regulations and campus regulations would not allow it.

If you want a recent example...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/548381-bears-vs-vikings-monday-night-football-no-beer-in-gopher-stadium

It has nothing to do with making the event a non university sanctioned event. It has everything to do with the NCAA regulations.

Ya, because Philly has never played in a WC either...

In my opinion, I didn't want teams playing in it twice, until Pittsburgh did, so why not Detroit?

Edited by rrasco

Ya, because Philly has never played in a WC either...

In my opinion, I didn't want teams playing in it twice, until Pittsburgh did, so why not Detroit?

This.

Also, I posted this above, but if you think about it, there are a limited number of teams that are WC viable. The teams need to be located in cold weather climates, and have a large enough fanbase to justify the cost of running the WC. Obviously this is why the Pens were in it twice (other than the Crosby/Ovechkin over-promotion). It makes perfect economic sense to give the Red Wings another WC. Detroit has the climate for it, and the Red Wings Nation reaches not just coast to coast in the US, but worldwide.

Edited by ACallToArms