• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumlife19

Winter Classic to Detroit?!

Rate this topic

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People are so close minded about the Big House. Makes me wonder if they have ever really been there or just hear what their friends ***** about.

I don't think it will happen there because of the money Illitch can make by it being at Comerica, but it would be cool to have it in such a large venue...

With that said, one thing that really perplexed me about the last few Winter Classics, is why they don't roll out more bleacher style seats on the lower levels and add even more people.. obviously not in areas that would obstruct the view of others, but in areas where its raised and then a decent drop before the surface anyway (like up against a wall in a ballpark, which is raised for HR purposes)

Just a thought...

The question is moot; I believe Bettman would rather chastise Mario publicly or tell the press to not feature Crosby so much before he'd agree to a WC in Michigan. He hates us about as much as we hate Crosby.

But if we're going to dream, let's dream big. The Big House wins my vote in my dream world; who cares if they won't serve beer? I've provided my own beverages every U of M game I've ever gone to - no reason it couldn't happen for this one. Tons of fans, great environment, Mikey could have LC pizza stands every 10 feet if he wanted, and A Squared could really use a bump right now - losing a lot of jobs due to Borders filing bankruptcy.

I don't think it will happen there because of the money Illitch can make by it being at Comerica, but it would be cool to have it in such a large venue...

With that said, one thing that really perplexed me about the last few Winter Classics, is why they don't roll out more bleacher style seats on the lower levels and add even more people.. obviously not in areas that would obstruct the view of others, but in areas where its raised and then a decent drop before the surface anyway (like up against a wall in a ballpark, which is raised for HR purposes)

Just a thought...

The only reason I could see for not adding those bleachers on the ground is that you would literally freeze your ass.

Too bad even if it were in MI you can't just buy tickets to the WC. Didn't anybody see all the contests they had where you could win a CHANCE TO BUY tickets? It doesn't matter anyways, it's not happening. Not any time soon anyways.

The only reason I could see for not adding those bleachers on the ground is that you would literally freeze your ass.

Heated seat cushions! Get your heated seat cushions! Only $25! Two for $40 and a coupon for a free Little Caeser's pizza! Get your heated seat cushions!

Fact of the matter is, people bitching about the Wings getting 2 probably don't plan on attending or are like 85 years old. Just another reason to tailgate and drink it up. Lighten up people. Thanks, that is all.wink.gif

Not all. I'm nowhere near 85 and would crawl over ground glass to attend. I just don't think it's right for anyone to get two bites of the apple before others have had a chance.

The fact that there already have been four Winter Classics on American soil, and Detroit hasn’t hosted one of them is almost unbelievable. There’s no equivalent in baseball, but if there were, it would be like Major League Baseball never having the Yankees host it. The Yankees wouldn't stand for it. But the league would never do it. The Yanks are baseball’s marquee franchise. The Wings hold the same title in the NHL.
freep

Dead on.

I would rather have it at the Big House or not at all and let some other franchise play in one. 3rd largest stadium in the world? The atmosphere would be unmatched and there would be much better seating/viewing. Baseball stadiums suck when trying to host a hockey game in them. The seating is to far back.

69670,h=358,pd=1,w=620.jpg

yes please...

Edited by Original-Six

Wings and Rangers would be awesome. Keep the Canadian teams out of it since they have their heritage classic.

I agree keep the Canadian teams out of it. The Outdoor Game is for NBC, and like you said, Canada, and CBC I'll add, has the Heritage Classic. I'm ok each year having one outside game in America, and another one in Canada.

Edit: Besides, America has the better venues for it, Canada doesn't. Half of the fun of the Outdoor Game is where they are played.

Edited by Barrie

I'm going to start saving now, if they get to hold a Winter Classic in Michigan, I'm going. I don't see how anyone who lives in Michigan could not want the Winter Classic here. It'd be great for everyone involved. I'd hate for it to be at Comerica, because I don't think playing hockey games in baseball diamonds works all that well. Plus, as someone who doesn't care for baseball, a newer bank-named ballpark has no nostalgia or wonderment for me.

The Big House however is HUGE and an landmark in southeast Michigan. I've been there once and I was blown away at the size of it. The only thing I didn't like about the Big Chill was how far the crowds were from the game, I imagine the fans could hardly see anything of the game.

I bet it'll be held at Comerica, but it'd be awesome to have it at the Big House.

No!

OTHER teams need to be involved.

I was against a 2nd for the Pens for this reason, and I am against a 2nd one for the Wings for the same reason.

I'm with you. Locations that should be in front of us in line

New York

Minnesota

Colorado

Philly

Of course, any of these teams would be playing the Pens and the Pens will get to make the final decision.

would Michigan allow the sale of beer at the big house? the university is on break.

Any non-sanctioned NCAA event would serve alcohol at it. And if not by some freak occurrence the way to do it is smuggle some in. I do it for all Michigan games and never get caught. No one does probably. It will be all good either way. Or make the tailgate epic drunkness and it won't matter lol

I'm with you. Locations that should be in front of us in line

New York

Minnesota

Colorado

Philly

Of course, any of these teams would be playing the Pens and the Pens will get to make the final decision.

Philly's already been in it (and more recently too), why would they be ahead of us?

I was against it before it was a sure deal the Pens would get another go, but now that it's happened, heck, why not, we might as well go again if everyone else is going to. I think they should maybe save it for a couple of years down the road instead of this very next year, though; there's got to be some combination of teams that haven't gone yet that's halfway interesting.

Oh, and Big House for the venue, obviously. Another reason to wait at least another year - I might actually be a student there by then, God willing and the creek don't rise.

Comerica Park please.... Id like to go and I am not gonna pay good money to see this

I would rather have it at the Big House or not at all and let some other franchise play in one. 3rd largest stadium in the world? The atmosphere would be unmatched and there would be much better seating/viewing. Baseball stadiums suck when trying to host a hockey game in them. The seating is to far back.

69670,h=358,pd=1,w=620.jpg

yes please...

So how is the 3rd largest stadium have closer seating than a baseball park? what the hell am I looking at here!?!? looks like a bug farm on white poster board. THIS is too far away for a professional hockey game IMO.

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan