Winter Classic to Detroit?!

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Howard35

Howard35

1:15 into Double OT

• 17 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

If that picture was taken from a seat, I'd be pissed for having spent money on a ticket. It looks like a bunch of ants skating around there. I'm all for having 100K Red Wings fans packed into a stadium, but if you can't even see the game whats the point? I'd rather watch it at a bar where I can see what's going on.

It isn't. Look at the perspective. There are no seats above the suites. It's from overhead.

This is the view from my seat, which was in the very last row under the south scoreboard.
Posted Image

There were no problems seeing the action, even at the far end.
Posted ImageHOWARD 35 Posted Image

#62 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

The Big House would be great because of more chances for us to get a ticket. I agree though if it were to happen I'm sure Illitch would be pushing for Comerica.

Why? I mean tickets alone would make more sense to sell more tickets than get a larger percentage of much fewer tickets.

It would make sense by far... Why not just make a deal with Michigan and host a Michigan/Michigan State baseball game at Comerica as a double header with the Tigers and call it even.
Hockey does not belong anywhere but an ice rink, unless the event makes it such a milestone to draw attention. Clearly in Chicago and Boston the ball parks made the most sense, due to history. In Michigan the history, size, and atmosphere all point to the big house.

There is no way that that park in Detroit is better than the Big House. Not one way.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#63 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

It would take place in the city not a college campus. the game is set up to give the city its played in recognition. with the winter blast going on the city is the place. Illitch would not be happy taking a game like that out of the city with as much as he tries to do for it.

It isn't. Look at the perspective. There are no seats above the suites. It's from overhead.

This is the view from my seat, which was in the very last row under the south scoreboard.
Posted Image

There were no problems seeing the action, even at the far end.

What kind of camera what that taken with??? what was the zoom on it?

#64 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

Read about this recently, and I am not reading much into this given how Bettman is a master of just dodging questions/not answering them in context.

Before Pittsburgh got to play in a 2nd Winter Classic due to he who shall not be named, I was flat out against other teams playing in a 2nd outdoor game before others had a turn first. Since that got thrown out the window quickly, I'm all for the Wings playing a 2nd ASAP, but won't be shocked if it happens anytime soon due to lip service by Bettman per usual.

Other places that should host it first are New York, Minnesota, and Colorado.

No opinion/preference on whether it is playing in Ann Arbor or downtown Detroit.

#65 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

The game has to be played in Detroit for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, its the Detroit Red Wings, not the Ann Arbor Red Wings. Can you imagine the mocking if Detroit held a Winter Classic, and failed to have a suitable venue within city limits?

Second, Comerica is in Foxtown. Illich owns Comerica and most of Foxtown. There is no way he'd not have it at Comerica Park, with all the business it would feed into his downtown district. He's got a lot of money invested in Detroit, he wouldn't have this game hosted anywhere else.

Third, as mentioned above, the Winter Classic is as much about the location as it is about the teams playing. Why would the Red Wings organization miss an opportunity to showcase the city they play in by playing a nationally broadcasted game in Ann Arbor. It doesn't make any sense.

#66 Howard35

Howard35

• 17 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

What kind of camera what that taken with??? what was the zoom on it?

Good question. I'm not sure. A normal Sony camera, but it wasn't mine, so I don't know the zoom.

For comparison, last row of Michigan Stadium and last row at the Joe, both with camera phone:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 Howard35

Howard35

• 17 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:19 PM

First and foremost, its the Detroit Red Wings, not the Ann Arbor Red Wings. Can you imagine the mocking if Detroit held a Winter Classic, and failed to have a suitable venue within city limits?

Second, Comerica is in Foxtown. Illich owns Comerica and most of Foxtown. There is no way he'd not have it at Comerica Park, with all the business it would feed into his downtown district. He's got a lot of money invested in Detroit, he wouldn't have this game hosted anywhere else.

Third, as mentioned above, the Winter Classic is as much about the location as it is about the teams playing. Why would the Red Wings organization miss an opportunity to showcase the city they play in by playing a nationally broadcasted game in Ann Arbor. It doesn't make any sense.

I agree, however the venue, IMO is almost if not more important than the city itself in this situation. It really is a made-for-TV event. Outside of Wrigley Field, Fenway Park...I don't really like the baseball stadium idea. Football fields are better. Personally, I hate the Tigers, hate Comerica Park and love Michigan and Michigan Stadium, so my opinion is clearly biased. I'd love to see Detroit get a WC and would certainly attend, but Comerica Park doesn't have that nostalgic feel that it had in Chicago or Boston.

The Big Chill kind of took some luster off of Michigan Stadium, though, because it's something we've seen in the recent past at that venue.

#68 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:03 AM

Sorry, this Winter Classic outdoor theme is getting stale. truth is, they are only after extra seating and that football-esque tailgate atmosphere.

Why not hold a weekend home game inside the confines of Ford Field?? A home game against Toronto or Montreal will surely sell out.

#69 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

Plenty of teams don't play in their official city. The Pistons play in Auburn Hills. The Coyotes play in Glendale, AZ. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, TX. No one ever mocked these teams for playing in a certain city.

#70 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Plenty of teams don't play in their official city. The Pistons play in Auburn Hills. The Coyotes play in Glendale, AZ. The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, TX. No one ever mocked these teams for playing in a certain city.

Actually didn't what's her name on city council refuse to acknowledge that Jay Leno came to detroit because he went to the palace? And she refused to call them the Detroit Pistons, instead they were the Auburn Hills Pistons. What was her name I can't remember.

Also Wings should play at Campus Martius.

*Edit* Martha Reeves.

Edited by CrimsonFlame, 21 February 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#71 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Also Wings should play at Campus Martius.

Couldn't get more than 20,000 people in that small of an area so not sure if serious...
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#72 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Couldn't get more than 20,000 people in that small of an area so not sure if serious...

No that was complete sarcasm. I'd be surprised if they could fit 500 people in there lol :)

#73 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

No that was complete sarcasm. I'd be surprised if they could fit 500 people in there lol :)

Posted Image Gave ya the benefit of the doubt on that one. Damn sarcasm fonts never work correctly.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#74 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Posted Image

I think I was in that seat a time or 2......:lol:

And the owners of those teams built and use arenas in those cities willingly.... something I do not see Mike Illitch doing with the Red Wings.

#75 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

With the exception of the Pistons, look at how close those cities are to the main city though. They are more like suburbs. Now, Ann Arbor and Auburn Hills are a substantial way from Detroit, so I can understand people would make a fuss about it. If you live in Arlington, you basically live in Dallas. Same for Glendale and Phoenix. There are 90 cities where I live, but they are all really one big city, although technically a "metropolitan area". Not sure Ann Arbor fits into the Detroit Metro area.

I don't really have an opinion because I'm not from Detroit so I can't speak for people and their feelings towards venues, but if there were a WC in Detroit I would think Ford Field as ideal. It's in Detroit, they could easily pack 70,000+ in there, and it fits the bill. Actually, I'm not sure why everyone just assumed The Big House would be a candidate, merely b/c there was an outdoor college hockey game there recently....? Ok, so I just looked it up and feel like an idiot b/c Ford Field is an indoor stadium. I'll go back to my corner now. :hehe:

I agree, baseball stadiums suck for hockey. Front row is like 12 million feet from the ice.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#76 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

Detroit in another winter classic? really? they the Pens of the west? Everybody was bitching about the Pens playing in another winter classic, including myself, and I'm bitching about this. How about we let other teams play in the winter classic before we start showing favorites here. How about the the Philadelphia Flyers vs the New York Rangers or the New Jersey Devils vs the Minnesota Wild and so on. Lets see other American teams first...

#77 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Detroit in another winter classic? really? they the Pens of the west? Everybody was bitching about the Pens playing in another winter classic, including myself, and I'm bitching about this. How about we let other teams play in the winter classic before we start showing favorites here. How about the the Philadelphia Flyers vs the New York Rangers or the New Jersey Devils vs the Minnesota Wild and so on. Lets see other American teams first...

Detroit vs. Boston :ph34r:

@ Comerica Park

#78 Howard35

Howard35

• 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

I think I was in that seat a time or 2......:lol:

226B, last row. The greatest section in any arena in all sports. Growing up, we had season tickets in sec. 106 row 13. When I went to college, we used to get 226B tickets because they were cheap and I became addicted. I traded lower bowl tickets for 226B for that game (game 7 Anaheim) and adopted those seats for college hockey as well.

226B, row 27, seat 19. The greatest seat in all sports.
Posted Image

OK, enough digression in the Winter Classic thread. There should be a "best seats" thread.

#79 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

With the exception of the Pistons, look at how close those cities are to the main city though. They are more like suburbs. Now, Ann Arbor and Auburn Hills are a substantial way from Detroit, so I can understand people would make a fuss about it. If you live in Arlington, you basically live in Dallas. Same for Glendale and Phoenix. There are 90 cities where I live, but they are all really one big city, although technically a "metropolitan area". Not sure Ann Arbor fits into the Detroit Metro area.

I agree, baseball stadiums suck for hockey. Front row is like 12 million feet from the ice.

I know Ann Arbor is far, so I understand people making a fuss about traveling. But the Big House has much more seats, so more people would be able to go than if it were at Comerica. If moving it from Comerica to the Big House meant the difference between you getting a ticket and watching it at home, then I'm sure you wouldn't be so upset about it then. But this is all speculation anyway. We don't even have the classic so we should worry about this issue later.

#80 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Detroit vs. Boston :ph34r:

@ Comerica Park

LOL I'd like to see that match up after everybody else has a turn in the winter classic. :thumbup: