• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Blues/Avs make big trade

Rate this topic

Forgetting ranking and rating trades for a minute, I've been really impressed with teams ability to keep these trades under wraps as well as they have.

Really, the only trade of the past 10-14 days that didn't come out of nowhere was the Kaberle trade.

That's really impressive given the information age we're in.

Good young defensemen are harder to find than good young forwards.

Bad move for the Blues imo.

Avs can't stop goals so they get a DMan, Blues can't score goals so they got one of the better young goal scorers in the league. True, Johnson was the best player in this deal, but compared to how he was suppose to have shaped up, I think St. Louis got the better end of the deal.

Also, don't forget, the Blues got a good young defensemen back in the trade. Not to mention, Shattenkirk has played much much better than EJ this season.

Very interesting trade.

I'm guessing this reason had to do with behind-the-scenes conduct with Erik Johnson. The Blues probably felt he was not going to hit his potential with them and decided to move him before his value was hit anymore.

They got back a good young power forward in Stewart, which makes their top lines really big. And a really promising point producing defenseman.

Both teams wanted to change up their roster, and they certainly did. Won't know the winner of this for a while, too many young guns that have yet to reach their potential.

Avs can't stop goals so they get a DMan, Blues can't score goals so they got one of the better young goal scorers in the league. True, Johnson was the best player in this deal, but compared to how he was suppose to have shaped up, I think St. Louis got the better end of the deal.

Also, don't forget, the Blues got a good young defensemen back in the trade. Not to mention, Shattenkirk has played much much better than EJ this season.

Johnson is only 22, so there's still no telling how he'll shape up. Not many defensemen play well at age 22. It usually takes them longer to develop than it does forwards.

I know Stewart is a good power forward, but I still think they pulled the plug too early on Johnson.

If they expected him to be an awesome D-man, at age 22 on a s***ty team, then they were unrealistic with their projections.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Blues scored HUGE in this trade. Almost can't even believe Colorado traded away 2 young promising players for a less than impressive Johnson and worthless McClement. Stewart wasn't having as good of a year as he did last year, but he has 30 points in 36 games played. Not too shabby. And he's young and has so much potential. Same goes with Shattenkirk. Avs just made a horrible move. And just helped one of our division rivals get alot better in the short term and long term.

Guest Heaten

I think Avs won this trade in long term. Big defensemen who score 40points their freshman year is pretty damn hard to find. Scoring forwards are much easy to acquire. Nothing indicates that EJ will be a bust. If so, Jiri Fischer would have been a bust and so would have Jonathan Ericsson.

It takes defenesmen much longer to develop than forwards.

Guest mjtm77

i wonder what the avs boards are like. but man Blues won this one. Now time will tell if they avs break even or loose this trade

Johnson is only 22, so there's still no telling how he'll shape up. Not many defensemen play well at age 22. It usually takes them longer to develop than it does forwards.

I know Stewart is a good power forward, but I still think they pulled the plug too early on Johnson.

If they expected him to be an awesome D-man, at age 22 on a s***ty team, then they were unrealistic with their projections.

I don't understand why you are discounting Shattenkirk so much. He's the same age as EJ, a rookie, on an equally s***ty team, but playing much much better. On top of that, St. Louis ALSO got Stewart.

I think we have to see what the picks end up being before we can really judge. Swapping 1st and 2nd rounders isn't like swapping a 3rd and a 4th. There can be a huge difference in prospect quality between a pick in the teens and a pick in the late 30s/early 40s. Conversely, if it ends up a pick in the 20s (not too far fetched if St.Louis can heat up) for an early 30s (easily if Colorado keeps slumping) then not so much, especially if this draft is as lean as some have suggested.

Anderson isn't a great goalie, but when he's on, he's better than Elliott.

I am pretty sure that until this year he led the league in shots stopped. He has always been high in save percentage on some really bad teams.

Obviously he isn't top five goalies in the league, but I think he is in the top 15.

Blues must be pretty pleased with the trade after tonight's result.

No kidding!

St. Louis wins 9-3 and Avs lost 4-0 .

Stewart: 2 G +2 16TOI

Shattenkirk: 1A +2 18 TOI

Johnson : -1 27 TOI

Edited by Konnan511

So far so good. :thumbup:

The more I think about this trade, the more I like it...especially if Shattenkirk turns out to be for real. Because right now, we got a defenseman that is playing better than Johnson, plus we got Stewart...for Johnson and McClement.

With all of the parties being very young, this trade could go either way...but so far so good for us.

EJ was having a down year, but I liked him. He has tremendous puck skills, it's just never came together for him this year...and he's been a liability in the defensive zone. But with all that said, he's very young and his best years are ahead of him.

But the Stewart, McDonald, Backes line looked great. Five goals last night.

So far so good. :thumbup:

The more I think about this trade, the more I like it...especially if Shattenkirk turns out to be for real. Because right now, we got a defenseman that is playing better than Johnson, plus we got Stewart...for Johnson and McClement.

With all of the parties being very young, this trade could go either way...but so far so good for us.

EJ was having a down year, but I liked him. He has tremendous puck skills, it's just never came together for him this year...and he's been a liability in the defensive zone. But with all that said, he's very young and his best years are ahead of him.

But the Stewart, McDonald, Backes line looked great. Five goals last night.

Honestly, I think shattenkirk is better. He developed properly. EJ and Shattenkirk both struggle at even strength, so if Kirk works on his pick moving and decisions at the NHL level, I think he'll be a Rafalski lite.

Absolute win for the Blues.

Johnson is a good all-around defenseman, but absolutely does not have Shattenkirk's offensive ability. Jackman, Coliacovo, and Polak still provide a physical presence, which is something Shattenkirk also brings back, but not quite to Johnson's level. Shattenkirk provides something the Blues needed, which was another effective offensive presence on the blueline, and he is better overall than Johnson. So at minimum the Blues break even on defense.

Which means they traded McClement and a first for Stewart and a second. McClement was the Blues' best defensive and PK forward, but his absence will not make a significant difference in those departments. Stewart, on the other hand, is a big 23 year-old power forward with good scoring numbers.

Ultimately, the only area the Blues didn't come out ahead (D for D, F for F, pick for pick) is the pick swap, and that's because it was a first for a second. Even then, Colorado is tied for 25th overall, and has just gotten worse. St. Louis is 21st overall, so the conditional 1st would take effect and Colorado would receive the 2012 pick instead. St. Louis just dumped off Brewer and Johnson, and added Shattenkirk and Stewart. The Blues have to re-sign Oshie, Berglund, Sobotka, and D'Agostini his offseason and then Stewart, Perron, Boyes, Coliacovo, and Jackman the following offseason. So they have plenty of room to maneuver and improve their team through the free agent market this summer, and will likely be a playoff team next year.