• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Bettman threatens Edmonton.

Rate this topic

The world needs more Bill Davidsons. Detroit can't or won't do what's needed for the Pistons so he just says "f*** it, I'll build my own arena in Auburn Hills." No taxpayers money, no bonds, just his cash. Opened in 88' and is still a great place to watch an event.

Carman,

I'm a little confused on "my made up idea"? I'm just stating that Bettman pumps life in these welfare clubs and smacks around the Canadian Clubs as well as the big clubs in the league! Bettman keeps stating how parity in the league has made for great races in the 2 Conferences. It seems his parity is actually taking life away from teams like Edmonton and the Islanders to help pump life into the welfare teams. Sure the Oilers have young talent, but are going to have to release their vets to keep the young talent or let the young talent walk and once again find themselves with lower attendence and crappy "parity" hockey and in a new arena! But hey, we can debate this all day long I suppose.

There is plenty to criticize Bettman on. This instance I feel is a major stretch. He's actually trying to help the Oilers, he's saying the same things he's said about the Islanders situation, he's not being any "harder" on Canadian teams, and to think that as a conspiracy is just, I don't know, not right? His job is to represent the owners, so of course he's going to battle for the "poor", if he wasn't good at his job he wouldn't be in his position for almost 20 years.

The "Bettman hate" bong.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think Bettman is a complete ass. He's snide and condescending when he speaks to the media. On top of it all he's dismissive of the fans' concerns. A guy like Bettman should stay behind the scenes dealing with the owners and with coporate interests.

There is plenty to criticize Bettman on. This instance I feel is a major stretch. He's actually trying to help the Oilers, he's saying the same things he's said about the Islanders situation, he's not being any "harder" on Canadian teams, and to think that as a conspiracy is just, I don't know, not right? His job is to represent the owners, so of course he's going to battle for the "poor", if he wasn't good at his job he wouldn't be in his position for almost 20 years.

Yeah, I can see your point on this! 20 years is an accomplishment,and I can also see where your coming from on Bettman helping the Oilers as well, as a "Hey you got the leagues support on this" and I am certain there are things he cannot comment on as well.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think Bettman is a complete ass. He's snide and condescending when he speaks to the media. On top of it all he's dismissive of the fans' concerns. A guy like Bettman should stay behind the scenes dealing with the owners and with coporate interests.

I agree. I was thinking today, how often do us Baseball fans hear from Bud Selig? Maybe a couple times a year. Bettman seems to be in the media all the time, which makes us non Bettman supports despise him even more! We hockey fans know the issues and have ideas to make the game better and even more profitable. However, Bettman continues to show his face, lie to the media, and try's to make the fans sound like they are complete morons!

I was thinking today too, it's to bad that jobs like a Commissioner doesn't have the same rules as President of the USA, after 8 years you're out the door. It's time for new blood with some fresh ideas in the commissioner's office.

Speaking of which...why do Oilers fans get to make fun of the Coyotes? Seems to me like a pretty darn similar situation; except for the potentially illegal conduct involved with Moyes' bankruptcy during the Phoenix saga.

The reason Oilers fans can make fun of the Coyotes is simple Eva. There ARE Oilers fans.

The reason Oilers fans can make fun of the Coyotes is simple Eva. There ARE Oilers fans.

There are Coyote fans too. The past couple of seasons have been the worst in their history, attendance-wise, and this is due to the whole Balsillie mess. In 1996-97, 1997-98, 2003-04, and 2006-07 Phoenix outdrew Boston. Are there hockey fans in Boston? In their first three seasons, Phoenix averaged about 540 fewer fans in attendance than league powerhouse and Cup contender Colorado.

I don't like Bettman, one bit, but I didn't see a threat anywhere in there. Not like this post insinuated. Is it even possible to be threatened by a midget?

That is funny.

The way I read it, he says it is just a fact that they can't play in that building anymore. (I don't get that because we have played in our building even longer...) Edmonton shouldn't think that the team will just continue to play in this city without a new building.

I find that to be a threat, build us an arena or the team will move.

Let's be fair here, if he made that statement against Detroit, you all would be upset.

I think I understand why no one thinks this is a threat...

I saw the speech by Bettman on TSN.CA and couldn't get a link... This article doesn't have the whole bit... Let me look for a link.

"not a threat by any means..." Usually means a threat to me.

Edited by Majsheppard

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if this project were to fail because myopic citizens or unimaginative city politicians pigeonholed it simplistically merely as an expensive new arena for a billionaire they didn't like?

Embarrassing, yes. But not totally surprising if it does happen, since Albertans hate paying for things.

I do agree however that taxpayer $$$ shouldn't be used if the owner (Katz) has the funds to build it himself...Same goes for Ilitch.

Regardless of whether or not the owner has the fund to finance a new building, it should not be the taxpayer's responsibility to pay a dime for it. With the amount of cities having to make cuts to important services (I do not know the state of Edmonton's finances) they should not even consider becoming banks for the NHL.

Guest Scrosby87

It's embarrassing reading your ignorant responses.

Clearly none of you are business majors.

Guest Shoreline

It's embarrassing reading your ignorant responses.

Clearly none of you are business majors.

Clearly you need to go back and finish your MTS (Master of Trolling Sciences), as you bring shame to your fellow troll major brethren.

Should this not be something the city of Edmonton and the team work out themselves, without Buttman sticking his nose in?

<...>It makes me mad that he has to say something like this. Don't get me wrong, if they want a new arena they should get one. However why does the NHL think it has the right to demand local governments to pay for their new toys???

<...>

He's a lawyer. That means chances he is a liberal are very high.

Then, if he's a liberal, then it is in his blood, government must help him, otherwise <...insert any threatening...>

get rid of this *******, the sooner, the better.

One word. Capitalism. Many seem to forget this simple word.

Edited by ami