• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

Reading the full article really does make you wonder what the OP was smoking.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#22 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

How many Save the Coyotes campaigns has Bettman/Daly fought for? They've actively sought for ownership groups for that market for five years and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. Why wouldn't he want to hunker down for another Save the Oilers campaign? He's got to be used to it by now.

We heard so many times during the lockout that it was about cost certainty and some of the small market Canadian teams wanted to know how much the cost of business was going to be, blah blah blah. Have we seriously gotten to the point where a nearly-40-year-old building that housed five Stanley Cup winners, and located in the middle of oil country is all of a sudden an inadequate revenue generator?

#23 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:41 AM

It reads more like an observation than a threat.
Everyone gets to make fun of Phoenix because there is still NHL hockey there. It's too bad the people there don't know it.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#24 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

The "Bettman hate" bong.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#25 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

So Bettman tries to help the franchise in negotiations with the city, and it's a conspiracy of an ultimatum?

Bettman hate is alive and well I see.

And he's said very similar things about that situation, but you don't have to read them because it wouldn't support your made-up idea of what Bettman wants to accomplish.

Carman,
I'm a little confused on "my made up idea"? I'm just stating that Bettman pumps life in these welfare clubs and smacks around the Canadian Clubs as well as the big clubs in the league! Bettman keeps stating how parity in the league has made for great races in the 2 Conferences. It seems his parity is actually taking life away from teams like Edmonton and the Islanders to help pump life into the welfare teams. Sure the Oilers have young talent, but are going to have to release their vets to keep the young talent or let the young talent walk and once again find themselves with lower attendence and crappy "parity" hockey and in a new arena! But hey, we can debate this all day long I suppose.

#26 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

The world needs more Bill Davidsons. Detroit can't or won't do what's needed for the Pistons so he just says "f*** it, I'll build my own arena in Auburn Hills." No taxpayers money, no bonds, just his cash. Opened in 88' and is still a great place to watch an event.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#27 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

More blind Bettman hate fuel. Read the article before saying something completely moronic.

Staying right on course for this site though. So kudos for continuing the idiocy??
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#28 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

Carman,
I'm a little confused on "my made up idea"? I'm just stating that Bettman pumps life in these welfare clubs and smacks around the Canadian Clubs as well as the big clubs in the league! Bettman keeps stating how parity in the league has made for great races in the 2 Conferences. It seems his parity is actually taking life away from teams like Edmonton and the Islanders to help pump life into the welfare teams. Sure the Oilers have young talent, but are going to have to release their vets to keep the young talent or let the young talent walk and once again find themselves with lower attendence and crappy "parity" hockey and in a new arena! But hey, we can debate this all day long I suppose.

There is plenty to criticize Bettman on. This instance I feel is a major stretch. He's actually trying to help the Oilers, he's saying the same things he's said about the Islanders situation, he's not being any "harder" on Canadian teams, and to think that as a conspiracy is just, I don't know, not right? His job is to represent the owners, so of course he's going to battle for the "poor", if he wasn't good at his job he wouldn't be in his position for almost 20 years.

#29 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

The "Bettman hate" bong.

Don't get me wrong, though, I think Bettman is a complete ass. He's snide and condescending when he speaks to the media. On top of it all he's dismissive of the fans' concerns. A guy like Bettman should stay behind the scenes dealing with the owners and with coporate interests.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#30 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

There is plenty to criticize Bettman on. This instance I feel is a major stretch. He's actually trying to help the Oilers, he's saying the same things he's said about the Islanders situation, he's not being any "harder" on Canadian teams, and to think that as a conspiracy is just, I don't know, not right? His job is to represent the owners, so of course he's going to battle for the "poor", if he wasn't good at his job he wouldn't be in his position for almost 20 years.

Yeah, I can see your point on this! 20 years is an accomplishment,and I can also see where your coming from on Bettman helping the Oilers as well, as a "Hey you got the leagues support on this" and I am certain there are things he cannot comment on as well.

#31 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

I don't like Bettman, one bit, but I didn't see a threat anywhere in there. Not like this post insinuated. Is it even possible to be threatened by a midget?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#32 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Bettman gets a lot more blame for things than he really deserves, but in reality the dude is still a total ass.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, though, I think Bettman is a complete ass. He's snide and condescending when he speaks to the media. On top of it all he's dismissive of the fans' concerns. A guy like Bettman should stay behind the scenes dealing with the owners and with coporate interests.

I agree. I was thinking today, how often do us Baseball fans hear from Bud Selig? Maybe a couple times a year. Bettman seems to be in the media all the time, which makes us non Bettman supports despise him even more! We hockey fans know the issues and have ideas to make the game better and even more profitable. However, Bettman continues to show his face, lie to the media, and try's to make the fans sound like they are complete morons!

I was thinking today too, it's to bad that jobs like a Commissioner doesn't have the same rules as President of the USA, after 8 years you're out the door. It's time for new blood with some fresh ideas in the commissioner's office.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#34 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

Speaking of which...why do Oilers fans get to make fun of the Coyotes? Seems to me like a pretty darn similar situation; except for the potentially illegal conduct involved with Moyes' bankruptcy during the Phoenix saga.

The reason Oilers fans can make fun of the Coyotes is simple Eva. There ARE Oilers fans.

#35 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

The reason Oilers fans can make fun of the Coyotes is simple Eva. There ARE Oilers fans.

There are Coyote fans too. The past couple of seasons have been the worst in their history, attendance-wise, and this is due to the whole Balsillie mess. In 1996-97, 1997-98, 2003-04, and 2006-07 Phoenix outdrew Boston. Are there hockey fans in Boston? In their first three seasons, Phoenix averaged about 540 fewer fans in attendance than league powerhouse and Cup contender Colorado.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#36 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Fans of the Oilers live in Edmonton; fans of the Coyotes don't live in Phoenix / Glendale.

#37 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Agreed.

By all means - I'm no fan of Bettman, but in this case he's just citing what he feels is neccessary to get a new arena for the Oilers.

I do agree however that taxpayer $$$ shouldn't be used if the owner (Katz) has the funds to build it himself...Same goes for Ilitch.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#38 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

I don't like Bettman, one bit, but I didn't see a threat anywhere in there. Not like this post insinuated. Is it even possible to be threatened by a midget?

That is funny.

The way I read it, he says it is just a fact that they can't play in that building anymore. (I don't get that because we have played in our building even longer...) Edmonton shouldn't think that the team will just continue to play in this city without a new building.

I find that to be a threat, build us an arena or the team will move.

Let's be fair here, if he made that statement against Detroit, you all would be upset.

I think I understand why no one thinks this is a threat...

I saw the speech by Bettman on TSN.CA and couldn't get a link... This article doesn't have the whole bit... Let me look for a link.
"not a threat by any means..." Usually means a threat to me.

Edited by Majsheppard, 22 February 2011 - 10:58 AM.

"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:20 PM

TSN.

Edmonton Journal .

#40 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

Edmonton Journal .

Wouldn't it be embarrassing if this project were to fail because myopic citizens or unimaginative city politicians pigeonholed it simplistically merely as an expensive new arena for a billionaire they didn't like?

Embarrassing, yes. But not totally surprising if it does happen, since Albertans hate paying for things.