• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

Osgood's status could prompt trade at deadline

Rate this topic

Osgood underwent surgery for a sports hernia Jan. 11. He started doing light drills a week ago and Friday faced shots for the first time. He plans to try practicing either Tuesday or Wednesday. The Wings need to know by the end of this week whether Osgood thinks he can return, because if that's in doubt, they'll need to see if they can find a replacement before the Feb. 28 deadline.

freep

Word is he isn't really getting much better. And as we heard on the FSN broadcast it was a pretty nasty injury with cartilage being off the bone no less. Not sure who we get but looks like we do add someone in a week's time if the Ozzie status doesn't change. Thoughts?

"At this time of year, everyone is looking for veteran defensemen," Holland said. "I'm still going to explore. I've talked to a few managers in the last couple of days. But we're dollar in, dollar out. I don't see us getting a rental, because we can't add. The only thing we're going to do is if there's a hockey deal out there. But we got Brad Stuart back. We're getting Mike Modano back in a week. We're getting Valtteri Filppula back in the next week."

Not much to this but you never know. Probably just the usual talk around this time of year and we will have most of our players back by the Feb. 28th deadline. Still could be interesting to see what, if any, move we make.

I saw him interviewed by Mick and Ken during either Thurs or Fridays game. Although he may not want to show his hand on the injury publicy, he sounded pretty positive on injury healing well and him coming back to play this season. I wonder if Ozzy may force Kenny to make any decision on bringing in another goaler. I can understand that Ozzy feels he can still be a top goaler when healthy and thinking that there is enough time between now and "when it counts/playoff's" that he should be ready to go. But if I'm Kenny, I'm taking Ozzy's opinion of his health and status out of the equation and deferring to the doctors. Ozzy will always lean on the side of being ready to go...the doctors will give the unbias facts of how the injury is healing and chances of reaggrivation. I'm a bit concerned that if Kenny makes a move for a goaler, it will be without Ozzy's buy-in, and has the potential to end ugly. Ozzy is a complete professional and has always handled himself with class and understanding of the NHL as a business without being selfish, but this may cross the line. This could mean the end of Ozzy's playing days and I think this could be a very hard pill for him to swallow...especially if he thinks he's going to be healthy and ready.

If I recall correctly, Ozzie said his career is going to end in Detroit. So if his injury isn't going to heal before the time comes to make a trade, I could see him retiring and becoming a part of the Red Wings organization as a continuing mentor for Howie. Sucks for Ozzie, but he'd have to come to terms that it might be time to hang 'em up.

Oz retires on his own and if he tells Kenny he's ok, Holland makes no move.

I see the standard, "Red Wings aquire Kris Newbury for Chris Minard" or similar AHL move as our only deadline move.

Our team is great, Modano is the only guy i'm worried about for this season. He could drag us down or come in like dynamite.

The playoffs this season will be an excellent chance to see whether Howard's really got the chopps to be a playoff goaltender. His struggles last year can be chalked up to rookie jitters (it was clear that he wasn't himself when he did interviews during the playoffs).

The day I heard about the surgery, I said I thought Osgood's career was over and my opinion hasn't changed - I think this is just another case of the Wings brass being smart and knowing that if they make it obvious they have a need, then they need to overpay... instead, they have Osgood play along and pretend he's coming back, even though they know he's not and he knows he's not and then they can make a quiet, under the radar move that won't cost us a ton and bring in a serviceable back-up, then Osgood announces his retirement in the off-season.

EDIT - plus, if he retires now, we get hit with his caphit and no roster player, whereas if we LTIR him for the season, we get cap relief for him and can exceed the cap by his value, while freeing up the roster spot... seems to me like Osgood is just "taking one for the team" like the great team guy he has been his whole career

Edited by stevkrause

The day I heard about the surgery, I said I thought Osgood's career was over and my opinion hasn't changed - I think this is just another case of the Wings brass being smart and knowing that if they make it obvious they have a need, then they need to overpay... instead, they have Osgood play along and pretend he's coming back, even though they know he's not and he knows he's not and then they can make a quiet, under the radar move that won't cost us a ton and bring in a serviceable back-up, then Osgood announces his retirement in the off-season.

EDIT - plus, if he retires now, we get hit with his caphit and no roster player, whereas if we LTIR him for the season, we get cap relief for him and can exceed the cap by his value, while freeing up the roster spot... seems to me like Osgood is just "taking one for the team" like the great team guy he has been his whole career

This is right on the money on all accounts. The injury he sustained was real bad and Holland and Co. are way too savvy to show their cards so directly, but there is a new goalie on the way to Mo Town for sure. Conks would be my first choice, I love that guy.

You might be onto something...

Explains the Nabby scenario a bit better too.

A+ sir. This says it all and most likely the case. With not much space it will be interesting to see what this does in fact turn into.

Damn I hope so that would be sweet. He really stood on his head when Ozzie wasn't performing that well in 09.

+1 This would be amazing!!! Conks is a perfect fit and I really hope it happens.

Having Conks back would be amaaaaaaaaaaaazing. I was really disappointed when we didn't resign him.

Disappointed, but not unexpected - Howard was out of options and Osgood was still under contract, there was just no room for him then... now, however...

29 is free too, just sayin'

But possibly forever cursed after, well, you know.....

there is that... luckily for me, I'm not the type of guy that doesn't wash my Under Armor when my beer league team is on a winning streak, due to superstition... oh, wait...

Sidenote, superstition is such a weird thing... as a logical person, I know it makes zero sense and has NO logical basis and I'm not not superstitious outside of sports at all, but for some reason, when it comes to hockey, or sports as a whole...

Good post. However, I don't think in any case whatsoever he'd retire mid-season. He's LTIR. Even if this situation gets ugly between Wings brass and Ozzy, I believe it's highly unlikely he'd retire mid-season. The brass have probably made it clear that they would like for him to go out with class and retire after the season is over with full press conference at the Joe with his family, friends, players and dedicated day to his announcing retirement. But I still think Ozzy is thinking If he's 100% healthy and feels good, that should be all Kenny needs to know and therefore end any notion of acquiring a goalie. I just don't see having a potential Hall of Fame goalie in possibly one of the last ovetures of his amazing NHL career play "pretend that your healthy and coming back" so the Wings can fly under the radar and suprise everyone. Except for a waiver situation, what is the likelyhood that teams are going to attempt with any success and waste time and resources to make it harder or more expensive for the Wings to acquire a goalie. A team that isn't very serious about acquiring a player or position I believe is very limited in driving a players/postions demand up. As far as GM's, agents, and players are concerned...an official offer of trade is either there, or it isn't. If a team actually has that position need (like a goalie in this case), then they've most likely have done their homework and considered and scouted any and all possibilities. It's not like they are going to be like-"Gosh darnit....we forgot about that goalie...how did the Wings think of him and not us!!!" And finally, why would you let your goalie coaches, training staff, and other valuable team resources spend hours upon hours (and huge money$) to his coming back if everyone knew he wasn't coming back? Why would Ozzy spend all of that time and effort training if he didn't think he was coming back? Training at the insane level that NHL players do at 38 years old, for a dog and pony show? Just don't see the cat-and-mouse pretend game going on.

Keep Ozzy in your plans for playoff run and squash any notion of trade, or not....I believe Kenny is going to have to make this decision with very limited consideration to what Ozzy is saying and believes, and more consideration about what his doctors are saying and weighing best alternative options. Which ultimately may mean Kenny and Ozzy may have to have a very blunt conversation about seeking alternative option for Wings 2nd goalie which Ozzy may not like. I can't say that I blame him, and I'm sure he's very aware of this, but this would be a pretty sour curtain call with no other explanation than "it's all about the best chances of winning the Stanley Cup".

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

Quick question on the cap.

If Ozzie is unsure about his status, but certain to return at some point, could he go on LTIR and then be activated in time for the playoffs, thus circumventing the cap hit since the cap doesn't apply in the playoffs? Then again...Ozzie would be totally useless not playing in the regular season and then trying to jump right into the playoffs.

How realistic is it to trade Kindl for Conklin? Maybe a pick added? I don't really want to give anyone up, but we do need a goalie. I'd rather roll with three goalies going into the playoffs though, because Ozzie was starting to play well and regardless, he's money in the playoffs as long as he can get warmed up in case Howard falters.

EDIT: Then again, St. Louis would want a veteran defenseman, not a prospect.

Edited by VM1138