• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

Osgood's status could prompt trade at deadline

Rate this topic

im fine with howard and mcdonald, if you trade away a pick you could be trading away a pick that would get us the next datsyuk or zetterberg.

Yeah but the obvious downside to that is you could trade away a guy who spends 10 years in the AHL. I think the player is important but I think the front office and the coaching staff is what makes some of these players soooo good. Yeah raw talent is important, but we have to worry about this year. We are going to make a run for the President's cup, we have to have a decent backup. Every time MacDonald get's in between the pipes, I pick off every finger and toe nail I have. Just his inexperience makes me super nervous.

Yeah but the obvious downside to that is you could trade away a guy who spends 10 years in the AHL. I think the player is important but I think the front office and the coaching staff is what makes some of these players soooo good. Yeah raw talent is important, but we have to worry about this year. We are going to make a run for the President's cup, we have to have a decent backup. Every time MacDonald get's in between the pipes, I pick off every finger and toe nail I have. Just his inexperience makes me super nervous.

Agreed. Trading picks doesn't concern me so much since the Wings are great at finding gems late-round.

Get your priorities straight - only Sharks fans care about that paperweight. ;)

The best backup we could get would be Johan Hedberg from the Devils... He's cheap and very good...

I beg to differ and so does his career .900 save percentage and 2.9 GAA. He's on an amazing 6 game win streak right now, but less we forget his 5-10-1 start to the season with a staggering .82 save percentage. Plus, he is the Devils starter as MB30 is trying to get back into the game. Even if he was available, he's one of the last goalies I'd want.

Actually Osgood is on the ice and practicing, it was my understanding that he is getting closer.

Read the freep article at the top of this thread. A decision either way needs to be made by the end of this week... can't hurt to explore the options. I suppose the team Doctors will also assess whether Ozzie will be ready.

I beg to differ and so does his career .900 save percentage and 2.9 GAA. He's on an amazing 6 game win streak right now, but less we forget his 5-10-1 start to the season with a staggering .82 save percentage. Plus, he is the Devils starter as MB30 is trying to get back into the game. Even if he was available, he's one of the last goalies I'd want.

You may want to put your comments into perspective... He's never played on a truly good team (career) and as for a bad start with the Devils this year, just look at that team as a whole early on and you'll be able to figure out where you went wrong in your analysis.

Ozzie will definitely be back this season, the question will be: What condition will he be in? That's why we need a backup.

Although MacDonald has performed well for us, I'd feel more comfortable with a more veteran goalie heading into the playoffs. Doesn't have to be spectacular but has to have a reputation for being there when the team needs him.

Also, Holland said it won't be a rental, so no Vokoun, even if we could afford him this year.

My preferences for a "backup backup", based on ability, cap hit, and how available I figure they are. All five turn UFA this summer, so they would be rentals and the price would be lower, but there would be a better chance to re-sign at a good price depending on the status of Howard and Osgood.

1) Alex Auld - I've always liked Auld. He's a damn good goalie who's never been given a real chance at a starting job, but has shown multiple times he can be a starter.

2) Mike Smith - Smith has had some damn good seasons and is still pretty young. He could have been had on waivers, and is having a bad year, especially for his contract, but he's definitely worth a late pick.

3) Brian Boucher - Best of the bunch for a playoff goalie. Absolutely carried the Flyers to the ECF a few years back, and IMO was better than Leighton in the playoffs (when he was the starter) last year before he was injured and Leighton had a couple good games and a lot of hype, that even his coach bought. Certainly has proven he can have a few great games in a row, given his shutout record.

4) Jose Theodore - Like Boucher, he has shown a capability for high peak performance. However, unlike Boucher, Theodore has never really shown he can handle the playoffs very well.

5) Johan Hedberg - Decent goalie who could probably be had on the cheap if Brodeur is back to some kind of form by the end of the week.

1) Alex Auld - I've always liked Auld. He's a damn good goalie who's never been given a real chance at a starting job, but has shown multiple times he can be a starter.

I've always thought so too. I would be really interested to see how he does on the Wings.

2) Mike Smith - Smith has had some damn good seasons and is still pretty young. He could have been had on waivers, and is having a bad year, especially for his contract, but he's definitely worth a late pick.

He's very talented athlete, but his form isn't good. If he had a good goaltending coach, he could be an all star, but he's more of a project than a potential right now back up.

3) Brian Boucher - Best of the bunch for a playoff goalie. Absolutely carried the Flyers to the ECF a few years back, and IMO was better than Leighton in the playoffs (when he was the starter) last year before he was injured and Leighton had a couple good games and a lot of hype, that even his coach bought. Certainly has proven he can have a few great games in a row, given his shutout record.

The Flyers would be nuts to trade him. There's no way to tell how Bobrovsky will do in the playoffs.

4) Jose Theodore - Like Boucher, he has shown a capability for high peak performance. However, unlike Boucher, Theodore has never really shown he can handle the playoffs very well.

I wouldn't have a problem with this. I don't think Minnesota would trade him to us cheap though.

5) Johan Hedberg - Decent goalie who could probably be had on the cheap if Brodeur is back to some kind of form by the end of the week.

Ehh, I could do without the Moose. It would almost be like getting Manny Legace back.

I think Conklin is the way to go here. He's not doing very well this year, so he should be easy to trade for. His salary is almost the exact same as Osgood, so if Ozzie goes on LTIR it would fit perfect. Really is the perfect type of goalie for the Wings. Like others on this board, I was sad to see him go after '09. He's great at controlling rebounds and handles the puck well. That would take some of the pressure off our defense.

Edited by xtrememachine1