67 replies to this topic

#21 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

29 is free too, just sayin'

But possibly forever cursed after, well, you know.....
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#22 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

But possibly forever cursed after, well, you know.....

there is that... luckily for me, I'm not the type of guy that doesn't wash my Under Armor when my beer league team is on a winning streak, due to superstition... oh, wait...

Sidenote, superstition is such a weird thing... as a logical person, I know it makes zero sense and has NO logical basis and I'm not not superstitious outside of sports at all, but for some reason, when it comes to hockey, or sports as a whole...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#23 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

The day I heard about the surgery, I said I thought Osgood's career was over and my opinion hasn't changed - I think this is just another case of the Wings brass being smart and knowing that if they make it obvious they have a need, then they need to overpay... instead, they have Osgood play along and pretend he's coming back, even though they know he's not and he knows he's not and then they can make a quiet, under the radar move that won't cost us a ton and bring in a serviceable back-up, then Osgood announces his retirement in the off-season.

EDIT - plus, if he retires now, we get hit with his caphit and no roster player, whereas if we LTIR him for the season, we get cap relief for him and can exceed the cap by his value, while freeing up the roster spot... seems to me like Osgood is just "taking one for the team" like the great team guy he has been his whole career

Good post. However, I don't think in any case whatsoever he'd retire mid-season. He's LTIR. Even if this situation gets ugly between Wings brass and Ozzy, I believe it's highly unlikely he'd retire mid-season. The brass have probably made it clear that they would like for him to go out with class and retire after the season is over with full press conference at the Joe with his family, friends, players and dedicated day to his announcing retirement. But I still think Ozzy is thinking If he's 100% healthy and feels good, that should be all Kenny needs to know and therefore end any notion of acquiring a goalie. I just don't see having a potential Hall of Fame goalie in possibly one of the last ovetures of his amazing NHL career play "pretend that your healthy and coming back" so the Wings can fly under the radar and suprise everyone. Except for a waiver situation, what is the likelyhood that teams are going to attempt with any success and waste time and resources to make it harder or more expensive for the Wings to acquire a goalie. A team that isn't very serious about acquiring a player or position I believe is very limited in driving a players/postions demand up. As far as GM's, agents, and players are concerned...an official offer of trade is either there, or it isn't. If a team actually has that position need (like a goalie in this case), then they've most likely have done their homework and considered and scouted any and all possibilities. It's not like they are going to be like-"Gosh darnit....we forgot about that goalie...how did the Wings think of him and not us!!!" And finally, why would you let your goalie coaches, training staff, and other valuable team resources spend hours upon hours (and huge money$) to his coming back if everyone knew he wasn't coming back? Why would Ozzy spend all of that time and effort training if he didn't think he was coming back? Training at the insane level that NHL players do at 38 years old, for a dog and pony show? Just don't see the cat-and-mouse pretend game going on.

Keep Ozzy in your plans for playoff run and squash any notion of trade, or not....I believe Kenny is going to have to make this decision with very limited consideration to what Ozzy is saying and believes, and more consideration about what his doctors are saying and weighing best alternative options. Which ultimately may mean Kenny and Ozzy may have to have a very blunt conversation about seeking alternative option for Wings 2nd goalie which Ozzy may not like. I can't say that I blame him, and I'm sure he's very aware of this, but this would be a pretty sour curtain call with no other explanation than "it's all about the best chances of winning the Stanley Cup".

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 21 February 2011 - 04:30 PM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#24 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Quick question on the cap.

If Ozzie is unsure about his status, but certain to return at some point, could he go on LTIR and then be activated in time for the playoffs, thus circumventing the cap hit since the cap doesn't apply in the playoffs? Then again...Ozzie would be totally useless not playing in the regular season and then trying to jump right into the playoffs.

How realistic is it to trade Kindl for Conklin? Maybe a pick added? I don't really want to give anyone up, but we do need a goalie. I'd rather roll with three goalies going into the playoffs though, because Ozzie was starting to play well and regardless, he's money in the playoffs as long as he can get warmed up in case Howard falters.

EDIT: Then again, St. Louis would want a veteran defenseman, not a prospect.

Edited by VM1138, 21 February 2011 - 04:32 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#25 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

If St. Louis is having a firesale, i'm sure they would take a minor-leaguer and a mid-round pick for Conklin.

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Must dump enough salary to acquire Vokoun.... Osgood LTIR gets rid of some, who do we trade?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#27 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

I'm all for Crunklin coming back! Was pretty disappointed when we let him go. Didn't Holland make a statement about not being able to keep bringing in old goalies though?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#28 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

Must dump enough salary to acquire Vokoun.... Osgood LTIR gets rid of some, who do we trade?

We already know who you would trade LW Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#29 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

Yep, could of saved us a thread...

It sure helped my post count though.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#30 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Do you think Conk would be willing to be a second to Jimah? Or would Jimah and him split the time? Or do you think Conks would be #1 and Jimah #2
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#31 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

im fine with howard and mcdonald, if you trade away a pick you could be trading away a pick that would get us the next datsyuk or zetterberg.

Edited by wings1110, 21 February 2011 - 07:54 PM.

#32 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

im fine with howard and mcdonald, if you trade away a pick you could be trading away a pick that would get us the next datsyuk or zetterberg.

Yeah but the obvious downside to that is you could trade away a guy who spends 10 years in the AHL. I think the player is important but I think the front office and the coaching staff is what makes some of these players soooo good. Yeah raw talent is important, but we have to worry about this year. We are going to make a run for the President's cup, we have to have a decent backup. Every time MacDonald get's in between the pipes, I pick off every finger and toe nail I have. Just his inexperience makes me super nervous.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

Yeah but the obvious downside to that is you could trade away a guy who spends 10 years in the AHL. I think the player is important but I think the front office and the coaching staff is what makes some of these players soooo good. Yeah raw talent is important, but we have to worry about this year. We are going to make a run for the President's cup, we have to have a decent backup. Every time MacDonald get's in between the pipes, I pick off every finger and toe nail I have. Just his inexperience makes me super nervous.

Agreed. Trading picks doesn't concern me so much since the Wings are great at finding gems late-round.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Agreed. Trading picks doesn't concern me so much since the Wings are great at finding gems late-round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEO5KFcZV3Q

#35 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

Get your priorities straight - only Sharks fans care about that paperweight. ;)

#36 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

I'd love to have Conks back. The only problem is that dang curse of his...

the guaranteed to be in a winter classic curse?
Posted Image

#37 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

the guaranteed to be in a winter classic curse?

:lol: No, not that one. The "i've been to the SCF 3 times as a backup and never won" curse :scared:

#NOMOREKINDL

#38 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

Do you think Vokoun will take less next year as a UFA???? He is making 5.7 mill this season!

#39 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

The best backup we could get would be Johan Hedberg from the Devils... He's cheap and very good...

#40 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Get Craig Anderson from Ottawa and pretty much send him with the Cup...
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s