• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Actually Osgood is on the ice and practicing, it was my understanding that he is getting closer.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#42 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

The best backup we could get would be Johan Hedberg from the Devils... He's cheap and very good...

I beg to differ and so does his career .900 save percentage and 2.9 GAA. He's on an amazing 6 game win streak right now, but less we forget his 5-10-1 start to the season with a staggering .82 save percentage. Plus, he is the Devils starter as MB30 is trying to get back into the game. Even if he was available, he's one of the last goalies I'd want.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#43 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Trade for Al Montoya :ph34r:

#44 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

Actually Osgood is on the ice and practicing, it was my understanding that he is getting closer.

Read the freep article at the top of this thread. A decision either way needs to be made by the end of this week... can't hurt to explore the options. I suppose the team Doctors will also assess whether Ozzie will be ready.

#45 mackel

mackel

Bring Back Vernie

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

I beg to differ and so does his career .900 save percentage and 2.9 GAA. He's on an amazing 6 game win streak right now, but less we forget his 5-10-1 start to the season with a staggering .82 save percentage. Plus, he is the Devils starter as MB30 is trying to get back into the game. Even if he was available, he's one of the last goalies I'd want.

You may want to put your comments into perspective... He's never played on a truly good team (career) and as for a bad start with the Devils this year, just look at that team as a whole early on and you'll be able to figure out where you went wrong in your analysis.

#46 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

Ozzie will definitely be back this season, the question will be: What condition will he be in? That's why we need a backup.

Although MacDonald has performed well for us, I'd feel more comfortable with a more veteran goalie heading into the playoffs. Doesn't have to be spectacular but has to have a reputation for being there when the team needs him.

Also, Holland said it won't be a rental, so no Vokoun, even if we could afford him this year.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#47 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

My idea for goalie from Trade Deadline

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#48 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:05 AM

If Ozzie is a no go and if we can get Conks, go for it
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#49 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:18 AM

My preferences for a "backup backup", based on ability, cap hit, and how available I figure they are. All five turn UFA this summer, so they would be rentals and the price would be lower, but there would be a better chance to re-sign at a good price depending on the status of Howard and Osgood.

1) Alex Auld - I've always liked Auld. He's a damn good goalie who's never been given a real chance at a starting job, but has shown multiple times he can be a starter.

2) Mike Smith - Smith has had some damn good seasons and is still pretty young. He could have been had on waivers, and is having a bad year, especially for his contract, but he's definitely worth a late pick.

3) Brian Boucher - Best of the bunch for a playoff goalie. Absolutely carried the Flyers to the ECF a few years back, and IMO was better than Leighton in the playoffs (when he was the starter) last year before he was injured and Leighton had a couple good games and a lot of hype, that even his coach bought. Certainly has proven he can have a few great games in a row, given his shutout record.

4) Jose Theodore - Like Boucher, he has shown a capability for high peak performance. However, unlike Boucher, Theodore has never really shown he can handle the playoffs very well.

5) Johan Hedberg - Decent goalie who could probably be had on the cheap if Brodeur is back to some kind of form by the end of the week.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#50 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

1) Alex Auld - I've always liked Auld. He's a damn good goalie who's never been given a real chance at a starting job, but has shown multiple times he can be a starter.

I've always thought so too. I would be really interested to see how he does on the Wings.

2) Mike Smith - Smith has had some damn good seasons and is still pretty young. He could have been had on waivers, and is having a bad year, especially for his contract, but he's definitely worth a late pick.

He's very talented athlete, but his form isn't good. If he had a good goaltending coach, he could be an all star, but he's more of a project than a potential right now back up.

3) Brian Boucher - Best of the bunch for a playoff goalie. Absolutely carried the Flyers to the ECF a few years back, and IMO was better than Leighton in the playoffs (when he was the starter) last year before he was injured and Leighton had a couple good games and a lot of hype, that even his coach bought. Certainly has proven he can have a few great games in a row, given his shutout record.

The Flyers would be nuts to trade him. There's no way to tell how Bobrovsky will do in the playoffs.

4) Jose Theodore - Like Boucher, he has shown a capability for high peak performance. However, unlike Boucher, Theodore has never really shown he can handle the playoffs very well.

I wouldn't have a problem with this. I don't think Minnesota would trade him to us cheap though.

5) Johan Hedberg - Decent goalie who could probably be had on the cheap if Brodeur is back to some kind of form by the end of the week.

Ehh, I could do without the Moose. It would almost be like getting Manny Legace back.

I think Conklin is the way to go here. He's not doing very well this year, so he should be easy to trade for. His salary is almost the exact same as Osgood, so if Ozzie goes on LTIR it would fit perfect. Really is the perfect type of goalie for the Wings. Like others on this board, I was sad to see him go after '09. He's great at controlling rebounds and handles the puck well. That would take some of the pressure off our defense.

Edited by xtrememachine1, 22 February 2011 - 08:19 AM.

#51 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

Our team is great, Modano is the only guy i'm worried about for this season. He could drag us down or come in like dynamite.

I remember reading Babcock saying he was going to try a ling of Filppula, Modano and Holmstrom. You'd figire Filppula would centre the line because he's more defensively responsible but at the same time he does have experience on the wing. Either way for some reason I actually think it could work and help ease Modano back in. Or maybe it's just because I want to see our other two lines stay together.

My preferences for a "backup backup", based on ability, cap hit, and how available I figure they are. All five turn UFA this summer, so they would be rentals and the price would be lower, but there would be a better chance to re-sign at a good price depending on the status of Howard and Osgood.

None of these guys will be dealt with the only possible exception being Mike Smith but no one wants him at this point. I kinda feel bad for the guy as I think he deserves a shot but that's neither here nor there. The rest of those guys are not viable options for the Wings.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#52 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

According to TSN "Even the struggling Steve Mason could be on the move in Columbus" what do you think it would take to pry him away from a division rival. I say it's a long shot at best.

#53 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

According to TSN "Even the struggling Steve Mason could be on the move in Columbus" what do you think it would take to pry him away from a division rival. I say it's a long shot at best.

Won't happen. Not even Hudler and Kindl type scenario gets it done. For the highlighted part of the post, nothing gets this done.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#54 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

If St. Louis is having a firesale, i'm sure they would take a minor-leaguer and a mid-round pick for Conklin.

I wouldn't be too surprised if all it took was a 4th, or 5th round pick to bring Conkblock back to the Motor City.

Just think of the reception he'd get if he was to return?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#55 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Red Wings shouldn't be able to get him. Columbus would be stupid to trade him. He's struggling, but he's still only 22 and he won the Calder. He was the reason they made the playoffs.

#56 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

I wouldn't be too surprised if all it took was a 4th, or 5th round pick to bring Conkblock back to the Motor City.

Just think of the reception he'd get if he was to return?

As a die-hard Ozzie freak, my first hope is that Ozzie comes back full force. If that is not an option, I would welcome Conk back with open arms. He was well-liked and many people wanted him to stay. I can't think of anyone who wanted him to go for any personal reason. It was just a general understanding that Jimmy was our future.

If Ozzie is done (ouch, that hurts to type) then I would love to have Conk back up Jimmy for the future. Conk is a wonderful backup who can bring it when needed and will provide a healthy competition, but doesn't cause a stir by trying to push himself into the #1 spot if it is not asked of him.

#57 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Could we get Conks with Ozzie's cap to LTIR? Not the smartest cap guy but if we could get this done I am all for it. Loved Conks as he really was a huge part of our success in the '09 season when Ozzie was going through that rough patch.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#58 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

Could we get Conks with Ozzie's cap to LTIR? Not the smartest cap guy but if we could get this done I am all for it. Loved Conks as he really was a huge part of our success in the '09 season when Ozzie was going through that rough patch.

I think so. Conk makes 1.3 and Ozzie makes 1.4 so I think that would work. I'm not sure if those numbers are salary or cap hit, but I think they are both in this particular case. Perhaps one of our capologists could tell us how much we have if Ozzie hits LTIR?

#59 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

I think 99% of Wings fans were sad to see Conklin go. I know he had a bad year in St. Louis but he's a proven solid backup who can step in when necessary. Especially when stacked up against the available goalies, Conklin is clearly the best option. I want to slap whoever even thought to suggest Theodore.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#60 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

Micheal Leighton.

Just a thought.

EDIT* Would he have to clear waivers to be traded?

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 22 February 2011 - 12:12 PM.