• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

Osgood's status could prompt trade at deadline

Rate this topic

Our team is great, Modano is the only guy i'm worried about for this season. He could drag us down or come in like dynamite.

I remember reading Babcock saying he was going to try a ling of Filppula, Modano and Holmstrom. You'd figire Filppula would centre the line because he's more defensively responsible but at the same time he does have experience on the wing. Either way for some reason I actually think it could work and help ease Modano back in. Or maybe it's just because I want to see our other two lines stay together.

My preferences for a "backup backup", based on ability, cap hit, and how available I figure they are. All five turn UFA this summer, so they would be rentals and the price would be lower, but there would be a better chance to re-sign at a good price depending on the status of Howard and Osgood.

1) Alex Auld - I've always liked Auld. He's a damn good goalie who's never been given a real chance at a starting job, but has shown multiple times he can be a starter.

2) Mike Smith - Smith has had some damn good seasons and is still pretty young. He could have been had on waivers, and is having a bad year, especially for his contract, but he's definitely worth a late pick.

3) Brian Boucher - Best of the bunch for a playoff goalie. Absolutely carried the Flyers to the ECF a few years back, and IMO was better than Leighton in the playoffs (when he was the starter) last year before he was injured and Leighton had a couple good games and a lot of hype, that even his coach bought. Certainly has proven he can have a few great games in a row, given his shutout record.

4) Jose Theodore - Like Boucher, he has shown a capability for high peak performance. However, unlike Boucher, Theodore has never really shown he can handle the playoffs very well.

5) Johan Hedberg - Decent goalie who could probably be had on the cheap if Brodeur is back to some kind of form by the end of the week.

None of these guys will be dealt with the only possible exception being Mike Smith but no one wants him at this point. I kinda feel bad for the guy as I think he deserves a shot but that's neither here nor there. The rest of those guys are not viable options for the Wings.

According to TSN "Even the struggling Steve Mason could be on the move in Columbus" what do you think it would take to pry him away from a division rival. I say it's a long shot at best.

Won't happen. Not even Hudler and Kindl type scenario gets it done. For the highlighted part of the post, nothing gets this done.

According to TSN "Even the struggling Steve Mason could be on the move in Columbus" what do you think it would take to pry him away from a division rival. I say it's a long shot at best.

Red Wings shouldn't be able to get him. Columbus would be stupid to trade him. He's struggling, but he's still only 22 and he won the Calder. He was the reason they made the playoffs.

I wouldn't be too surprised if all it took was a 4th, or 5th round pick to bring Conkblock back to the Motor City.

Just think of the reception he'd get if he was to return?

As a die-hard Ozzie freak, my first hope is that Ozzie comes back full force. If that is not an option, I would welcome Conk back with open arms. He was well-liked and many people wanted him to stay. I can't think of anyone who wanted him to go for any personal reason. It was just a general understanding that Jimmy was our future.

If Ozzie is done (ouch, that hurts to type) then I would love to have Conk back up Jimmy for the future. Conk is a wonderful backup who can bring it when needed and will provide a healthy competition, but doesn't cause a stir by trying to push himself into the #1 spot if it is not asked of him.

Could we get Conks with Ozzie's cap to LTIR? Not the smartest cap guy but if we could get this done I am all for it. Loved Conks as he really was a huge part of our success in the '09 season when Ozzie was going through that rough patch.

I think so. Conk makes 1.3 and Ozzie makes 1.4 so I think that would work. I'm not sure if those numbers are salary or cap hit, but I think they are both in this particular case. Perhaps one of our capologists could tell us how much we have if Ozzie hits LTIR?

I think 99% of Wings fans were sad to see Conklin go. I know he had a bad year in St. Louis but he's a proven solid backup who can step in when necessary. Especially when stacked up against the available goalies, Conklin is clearly the best option. I want to slap whoever even thought to suggest Theodore.

Today, per Freep:

""Wings goalie Chris Osgood: 'I'll be back'

Goaltender Chris Osgood is certain he’ll be back playing soon, which is just what the Red Wings have been waiting to hear.

Osgood’s availability was in doubt as recently as last week, as he was dealing with the aftermath of undergoing surgery Jan. 11.

“I feel better now, like, health-wise and strength-wise, than I did previous to the injury,” Osgood said this morning. “There’s no doubt, I’ll be back, it’s just a matter of when.”

Osgood guessed he may be ready to play next week while the Wings are on the West Coast, but there really isn’t a set return date. For now, the workload is on Jimmy Howard, who’ll start tonight’s game against San Jose.""

He's the Terminator!

Well I guess that settles the trade talk, Wings stand pat at the deadline barring any horrific breakdowns like December-January.

EDIT: Saw that Kenny said it in his NHL live appearance. My bad blush.gif

Hopefully Ozzie is good to go thumbup.gif

Edited by HankthaTank

Micheal Leighton.

Just a thought.

EDIT* Would he have to clear waivers to be traded?

Joey Mac is better than Leighton. Having a couple of good games on a team playing its best in the playoffs, and otherwise being a good AHL goalie who has occasionally had a season up as an NHL backup does not make you a good goalie. Joey may have spent most of his career in the minors, but that is because he was behind guys like Hasek, Osgood, and Joseph.

Macdonald has been a team's starter in that he has played more than half the games for the team in a season. Leighton's best was 35 games for Chicago in 2003-04, when Jocelyn Thibault went out for hip surgery 20 games into the season and then Leighton split duty with Craig Anderson. He played 34 last year between the Canes and Flyers, but that was a result of the Flyers losing other goalies to injury.

A healthy, inspired Ozzie is the best-case scenario. Heaven forbid that Babcock is forced to run Howie into the ground (again) just because he has no reliable backup.