• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

2011 NHL Trade Deadline Thread - February 28th, 3:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

On Monday the TSN ticker shall read...RED WINGS ACQUIRE MIKE MODANO, VALTTERI FILPPULA AND CHRIS OSGOOD FROM THEMSELVES FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS.

Sadly yes. <_<

You guys aren't happy with the results of this management style so far?

We could always be Calgary fans-- they shuffle their roster multiple times every season and it really seems to work well for them. :lol:

What about the Rangers? Slather is always making moves and they're always an interesting team to watch.

The Thrashers love making trades too!

The Leafs? I can't help but feel like I'm seeing a pattern here.

Good pickup, but he isn't the 1st line forward that he was with them before.

i agree, I can see him probably cracking the second line, maybe play with Staal on the 3rd. Either way you gotta be aware hes a threat when hes out there. Watched abit of the 2nd period, he looks kinda lazy at times but great at others, it might be chemistry/unfamiliar right now. Gotta give him a couple games to really see.

Guest Hatethedrake!

You guys aren't happy with the results of this management style so far?

We could always be Calgary fans-- they shuffle their roster multiple times every season and it really seems to work well for them. :lol:

What about the Rangers? Slather is always making moves and they're always an interesting team to watch.

The Thrashers love making trades too!

The Leafs? I can't help but feel like I'm seeing a pattern here.

I could do what you do and put words in people's mouths. How does saying that Holland will likely do nothing at the trade deadline turn into ripping the Red Wings managing of the team? It doesn't. I've said over and over again that I believe the Wings will win the Cup. I don't know how many times I've said Holland is the best GM in the game. Ah I don't need to defend myself to anyone here. Anyway keep lumping all Wings fans together to support your baseless argument. :rolleyes:

Final waiver period before the deadline:

Pascal Leclaire

Ty Conklin

Curtis McElhinney

Brett Carson

Jason Jaffray

DJ King

Nathan Lawson

Rob Schremp

Tim Stapleton

Conks is interesting if we`re not sold on Osgood`s comeback this year. The rest are meh.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I'd be all for claiming Conklin. He played well here. What's his cap hit? Ozzie could play a few and then have a setback. At his age it's a bigger risk than it would be with a younger goalie. I'd sure like to see Conks sitting on that bench come playoff time instead of Joey MacDonald. Of course I prefer Ozzie but Conks would be insurance.

in my opinion it'd be almost silly not to claim conklin if we could afford him. Obviously the brass saw a need for a goalie or there would be no nabby contract. So here's a guy that's played well for us in the past and he's free if we can afford the cap hit. It's a no brainer where i'm sitting.

How come every trade deadline when someone suggests a player for the Wings all the Holland poodles come out and yap about how "successful" the team's been? Like adding a veteran Dman or goalie would totally disrupt everything and keep them from going deeper in the playoffs or possibly even winning the Cup.

The team is not perfect and neither is Holland, we don't have to hear his resume everytime a trade idea pops up.

esteef

in my opinion it'd be almost silly not to claim conklin if we could afford him. Obviously the brass saw a need for a goalie or there would be no nabby contract. So here's a guy that's played well for us in the past and he's free if we can afford the cap hit. It's a no brainer where i'm sitting.

It's been implied that the reason Kenny went after Nabokov was because he was uncertain that Oz was going to be able to return at all:

Osgood admitted that he faced some doubts about his ability to come back. Although the surgery was primarily to repair his sports hernia, work was done on Osgood's groin and tendons.

The doubt about Osgood's availability led general manager Ken Holland to sign free-agent Evgeni Nabokov as insurance, although Nabokov was quickly taken on waivers by the New York Islanders.

Osgood understood why the Wings went after Nabokov.

"At that point we were in the unknown," Osgood said. "I had so many things done. There was no date when I was going to come back — eight weeks, 12 weeks."

Ozzie's seemingly imminent return would then preclude any movement for an additional goalie.

Bob McKenzie: Florida trades Bryan McCabe to NY Rangers for Tim Kennedy and 3rd round pick.

Rags finally get that power play D man they were all craving. They're still going out in the first round so,....

Rags finally get that power play D man they were all craving. They're still going out in the first round so,....

They really didn't pay that much to get him either - I've never even heard of Tim Kennedy.

Edited by Glubki

Maybe Darius Kasparaitis?

I don't know if it's from playing NHL 2000 all those years ago, but all of those names - Hrdina, Morozov, Kovalev, Lang, Kasparaitis, Jagr, Straka - all sounded like names that would identify with a yellow, white, and black jersey.

How do I petition to get Kraft, Titov, Dome, Laukkanen, Slegr, Rosival, Hedberg, and Skudra added to this list?

F: Jagr, Kovalev, Lang, Straka, Titov, Hrdina, Morozov, Kraft, Dome

D: Rosival, Slegr, Kasparaitis, Laukkanen

G: Hedberg, Skudra

Three lines, two pairs, starter and backup.

How come every trade deadline when someone suggests a player for the Wings all the Holland poodles come out and yap about how "successful" the team's been? Like adding a veteran Dman or goalie would totally disrupt everything and keep them from going deeper in the playoffs or possibly even winning the Cup.

The team is not perfect and neither is Holland, we don't have to hear his resume everytime a trade idea pops up.

esteef

:lol: Yapping poodles eh? God forbid someone base their opinion about the team's GM on his results!

Holland probably won't add a veteran d-man because the prices are rumoured to be stupidly high this year. All the early moves thinned out the talent left at the deadline and inflated the asking prices around the league.

The Wings don't like to part with 1sts anymore and are hesitant to part with 2nds.

I'd like to see us get a veteran back-up but I'm not privy to the medical situation with Osgood so I can't really say we 'need' one either. I hope the Wings put a claim in on Conklin, though.

McCabe hasn't had a season for the ages and he had an NTC so the Panthers were pretty limited in their options.

Bob McKenzie: Florida trades Bryan McCabe to NY Rangers for Tim Kennedy and 3rd round pick.

Why trade Kennedy and a pick for a guy like McCabe, when the Rangers already have Redden under contract; plus they traded Rosival not long ago.

Rosival > McCabe

Redden = McCabe

Rangers = stupid.

esteef

Show once instance of that. Everyone agrees a veteran DMan or back up goalie or grinding winger would help, but it's people like you who say the Wings must do it or else all hope is lost is the part that's getting annoying. Plus, no one is offering a player they want here, they're just saying "this team needs a shake up...a new player would help derp derp", how is that any help? Make an offer and state why and how we're going to fit it in under or cap that has no room under it.

I need to stop looking at Eklund's site. Reading that trash is the equivalent of ESPN's bracketology. Make a s*** ton of bogus predictions then when he does get a few right, he's a genius. Right now he's talking about Bogosian to the Isles for a top line forward and prospect.

Show once instance of that. Everyone agrees a veteran DMan or back up goalie or grinding winger would help, but it's people like you who say the Wings must do it or else all hope is lost is the part that's getting annoying. Plus, no one is offering a player they want here, they're just saying "this team needs a shake up...a new player would help derp derp", how is that any help? Make an offer and state why and how we're going to fit it in under or cap that has no room under it.

:lol: Yep, that's what I said. And the issue of the cap is the whole point of what I was talking about (in the Wings Won't Be Active thread. :D )

esteef

Edited by esteef

Holland had an interesting quote on the trade deadline situation right now:

“The other thing is, 13 teams in the West can make a case that they can make the playoffs. In the East, probably 10 or 11 teams think they got a chance. So there’s not a lot of sellers.’’

With 23 to 24 teams battling for 16 playoff spots the market is obviously going to be inflated.