Valtteri Filppula (MCL sprain) out, Chris Osgood (groin) out,

Mike Modano (severed tendon) out

On Deck

DAL.png

2/24, Stars at Red Wings ; 7:30 EST

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Great GDT Hockeytown!

Any word on why Stuart isn't playing?!?

That third defensive pair scares the s*** out of me especially with the Sharks attack.

Any way.... keep the streak alive boys!!!

LET'S GO WINGS!

He is playing, I accidentally had a lineup from a previous game posted.

4-3 Sharks. The Wings have won too many games recently by the seats of their pants and are overdue for a let down. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't get a good feeling when the Wings play them, especially reading a preview of the Sharks playoff run last year here:

San Jose Sharks 2010 playoff gameplan

I'm still not big on Lidstrom/Stuart.

What I want to see is one of these:

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Stuart

Salei/Rafalski

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Salei/Kronwall

Rafalski/Stuart

Lidstrom/Ericsson (Yes, I like this pairing)

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Stuart

Let's see Babs try some of those for regular pairs, come on man!

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Stuart

Salei/Rafalski

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Salei/Kronwall

Rafalski/Stuart

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Stuart

Didnt Ericsson play with lids at the beginning of the season ? maybe it would be wise to use that pairing again as the Wings were dominant for the most part of October anad November.

Also, Neimi has 5 shutouts... seriously ?

Edited by darkmanx

Current Streaks

Regular-Season Streaks

Overall: 5-game winning streak

Home: 1-game winning streak

Historical Regular-Season Streaks v. San Jose

Overall: 1-game losing streak

Home: 2-game winning streak (1 shutout)

Last Ten Games

Last Ten Games – Current Regular-Season

Overall: 7W-3L

Home: 5W-4L-1OTL

Last Ten Games - Historical Regular-Season v. San Jose

Overall: 7W-3L

Home: 6W-3L-0OTL-1SOL

Home Stand / Road Trip

This is the first game of a two-game home stand.

Record on this Day

February 22

This is the 35th regular-season game played on this day. The Club's record in the previous 34 games:

14W-13L-7T

LGW.

Wow, big Joe is having quite the down year assist-wise.

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Kronwall/Stuart

Salei/Rafalski

Lidstrom/Ericsson

Salei/Kronwall

Rafalski/Stuart

Kronwall/Rafalski

Kindl/Stuart

You do realize Babs is most likely pairing those two up just for a few more games given Stuart's absence? Babs likes to throw any returning long-term injured Dman with Lids right away just to get back on their feet. It's simply to make the transition back easier and less costly due to rust.

You do realize Babs is most likely pairing those two up just for a few more games given Stuart's absence? Babs likes to throw any returning long-term injured Dman with Lids right away just to get back on their feet. It's simply to make the transition back easier and less costly due to rust.

Do you realize that they were paired together long before Stuart went down with the broken jaw too right? They are also our 2nd most productive line points-wise and definitely one of the more "lockdown" pairings in the NHL imo. They compliment one another well and I do not feel like Ericsson should get away from being with Raffy. These pairings may as well roll especially with the way we have been playing defensively.

I expect the Wings to come out of the gates a tad slow as they do coming back from a road trip normally. Pick it up with a nice close to the 2nd and a solid 3rd and we tally a 3-2 victory.

Hank, Hudler (until he gets one wink.gif) and Helm.

Do you realize that they were paired together long before Stuart went down with the broken jaw too right? They are also our 2nd most productive line points-wise and definitely one of the more "lockdown" pairings in the NHL imo. They compliment one another well and I do not feel like Ericsson should get away from being with Raffy. These pairings may as well roll especially with the way we have been playing defensively.

I expect the Wings to come out of the gates a tad slow as they do coming back from a road trip normally. Pick it up with a nice close to the 2nd and a solid 3rd and we tally a 3-2 victory.

Hank, Hudler (until he gets one wink.gif) and Helm.

Every single Dman has been paired with every other throughout the season. Babs isn't shy about shaking things up and switching things around. Not even to mention the fact that Babs loves having an RH Dman paired with Lids as often as possible to maximize Lids' effectiveness. Yes, the Lids-Stuart tandem was effective together during its time, but so were plenty of others and you can be guaranteed those pairings are going to be switched up again before too long.

Every single Dman has been paired with every other throughout the season. Babs isn't shy about shaking things up and switching things around. Not even to mention the fact that Babs loves having an RH Dman paired with Lids as often as possible to maximize Lids' effectiveness. Yes, the Lids-Stuart tandem was effective together during its time, but so were plenty of others and you can be guaranteed those pairings are going to be switched up again before too long.

Yes, Babs loves to shake things up. But, most successful seasons it can be said that we have ran with the very same pairings so the guys can get their comfort level high with the other. Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings. They have the best compliment of all the other possible combos I could conjure up. Especially keeping Lids-Raffy apart aside from the PP.

Yes, Babs loves to shake things up. But, most successful seasons it can be said that we have ran with the very same pairings so the guys can get their comfort level high with the other. Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings. They have the best compliment of all the other possible combos I could conjure up. Especially keeping Lids-Raffy apart aside from the PP.

You said it right in your post, "Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings." I completely agree that these pairings are very complimentary of each other. Obviously they balance the talent level on the bottom two pairings, but in turn they weaken it as well. As long as the puck stays out of the net, you won't see change on the blue line or up front, but the second a few bad games roll around, you can expect change to come with it. No one is saying they won't eventually go back to the current pairings, but Babs doesn't like to keep things the same when the wins aren't coming as frequently and he's quicker to the draw then most coaches in that regard. That's my whole point.

You said it right in your post, "Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings." I completely agree that these pairings are very complimentary of each other. Obviously they balance the talent level on the bottom two pairings, but in turn they weaken it as well. As long as the puck stays out of the net, you won't see change on the blue line or up front, but the second a few bad games roll around, you can expect change to come with it. No one is saying they won't eventually go back to the current pairings, but Babs doesn't like to keep things the same when the wins aren't coming as frequently and he's quicker to the draw then most coaches in that regard. That's my whole point.

Well, let's just keep winning thumbup.gif Keeping Salei-Ericsson apart is for the best. So the other combos with me aren't terrible. I can't say that Lids-Kronner would piss me off either but again that forces Salei-Big E. Just not a fan of that one EVER.

Well, let's just keep winning thumbup.gif Keeping Salei-Ericsson apart is for the best. So the other combos with me aren't terrible. I can't say that Lids-Kronner would piss me off either but again that forces Salei-Big E. Just not a fan of that one EVER.

So basically you're a proponent of minimizing risk rather than maximizing reward. TBH, the way our season has gone defensively I tend to agree given our offense (now that's its healthy) has continued to put the puck in the net at one of the highest paces in the NHL. Right now, this is the way to go because our defense has been so poor and obviously if they continue to move away from the Lids-Raf 1st pairing and Stuart-Kronwall second pairing, then Babs and Co. are fine with giving up offensive production from the back-end.

It's not to say the production can't/won't come from the current pairings, but it likely won't come at the pace it could be with the former top pairings. At the same time, its also not a priority right now given how poor the defense has been all season and equally so due to how strong the offense has been.