• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/22 GDT: Sharks 4 at Red Wings 3

Rate this topic

You're over-analyzing and completely missing the point. Stats alone are meaningless, whether it be one stat or multiple stats, and are easily manipulated. Two stats, three if you choose to include wins, do not tell the complete story of Jimmy this season, just as +/- alone does not tell the complete story of Lidstrom.

We could always talk about how he has looked, which is definitely less than stellar.

I think it's ironic how when the defense struggles Howard has a harder time in goal and when the defense is what we expect it to be Howard is fine. It's almost like a goalie can't do it all on his own.

Way to completely ignore the questions.

Howard is struggling, and is obviously not able to carry the team this year like he did last year. This is especially important considering he is going to need a new contract next season.

Guest Crymson

I think it's ridiculous how people expect perfection from Howard. I don't think many here watch enough games of other teams to realize that every goaltender has bad games, and not every goaltender is a team-saver. If you want a goaltender who will save your arse every game, pay for someone like Luongo or Vokoun... and I mean pay. Howard does just fine when the defense gives him a chance to win, just like Osgood, and he has stolen games this season. That some people expect him to be perfect in every situation is just a symptom of the spoiled attitude quite a few Red Wings have when it comes to the team.

Also puzzling to me is the sort of rebound effect people have when it comes to Howard. If he struggles for a few games, then people get "He's not playing well enough!" into their heads, and suddenly many people start calling every single goal either weak or his fault. When Howard was giving up three goals per game at times in the season, people ignored the goals that weren't his fault and started acting as if every single game in which he gave up three goals was one in which he should have been able to limit that number, regardless of if he was hung out to dry at times. And because he has subpar rebound control, some people start claiming that every single rebound he gives up is one that he should have had. It's insane. I once saw somebody on here lay into him for failing to control a rebound on a wraparound shot taken from less than a foot away from him.

I don't get it.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Many posters on this forum have an unrealistic expectation for goaltending. If your goalie doesn't steal a game every week, give up less than 2 goals every outing, and post a shutout every two weeks then he isn't good enough. Never mind that the defense may be absent or sending pucks into their own net. It's hilarious how so many can reduce a team game down to one player, the goaltender, and rip into him for every little thing that goes wrong.

Has Howard been stellar? No, but he also doesn't need to be stellar, he's not that kind of goaltender. Post every goaltending stat in the book but they mean nothing when you don't watch the games. Stats are only part of the story and to use them as the whole story is irresponsible and a joke, that was the point of my Lidstrom argument that so many seem to not understand. It's his second full year in the league people. Goaltenders aren't made over night.

Guest Crymson

Crymson going off on a "what is the deal with Wings fans?" tirade? Never.

Is that your best possible contribution to the discussion?