• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

#21 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

Every single Dman has been paired with every other throughout the season. Babs isn't shy about shaking things up and switching things around. Not even to mention the fact that Babs loves having an RH Dman paired with Lids as often as possible to maximize Lids' effectiveness. Yes, the Lids-Stuart tandem was effective together during its time, but so were plenty of others and you can be guaranteed those pairings are going to be switched up again before too long.

Yes, Babs loves to shake things up. But, most successful seasons it can be said that we have ran with the very same pairings so the guys can get their comfort level high with the other. Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings. They have the best compliment of all the other possible combos I could conjure up. Especially keeping Lids-Raffy apart aside from the PP.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#22 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

Any updates on Fil?

I forgot he was even out....guess I didn't notice :ph34r:

#23 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Yes, Babs loves to shake things up. But, most successful seasons it can be said that we have ran with the very same pairings so the guys can get their comfort level high with the other. Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings. They have the best compliment of all the other possible combos I could conjure up. Especially keeping Lids-Raffy apart aside from the PP.

You said it right in your post, "Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings." I completely agree that these pairings are very complimentary of each other. Obviously they balance the talent level on the bottom two pairings, but in turn they weaken it as well. As long as the puck stays out of the net, you won't see change on the blue line or up front, but the second a few bad games roll around, you can expect change to come with it. No one is saying they won't eventually go back to the current pairings, but Babs doesn't like to keep things the same when the wins aren't coming as frequently and he's quicker to the draw then most coaches in that regard. That's my whole point.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#24 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

You said it right in your post, "Here is hoping we don't have to "shake things up" and just ride it out with these pairings." I completely agree that these pairings are very complimentary of each other. Obviously they balance the talent level on the bottom two pairings, but in turn they weaken it as well. As long as the puck stays out of the net, you won't see change on the blue line or up front, but the second a few bad games roll around, you can expect change to come with it. No one is saying they won't eventually go back to the current pairings, but Babs doesn't like to keep things the same when the wins aren't coming as frequently and he's quicker to the draw then most coaches in that regard. That's my whole point.

Well, let's just keep winning Posted Image Keeping Salei-Ericsson apart is for the best. So the other combos with me aren't terrible. I can't say that Lids-Kronner would piss me off either but again that forces Salei-Big E. Just not a fan of that one EVER.

#25 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Well, let's just keep winning Posted Image Keeping Salei-Ericsson apart is for the best. So the other combos with me aren't terrible. I can't say that Lids-Kronner would piss me off either but again that forces Salei-Big E. Just not a fan of that one EVER.

So basically you're a proponent of minimizing risk rather than maximizing reward. TBH, the way our season has gone defensively I tend to agree given our offense (now that's its healthy) has continued to put the puck in the net at one of the highest paces in the NHL. Right now, this is the way to go because our defense has been so poor and obviously if they continue to move away from the Lids-Raf 1st pairing and Stuart-Kronwall second pairing, then Babs and Co. are fine with giving up offensive production from the back-end.

It's not to say the production can't/won't come from the current pairings, but it likely won't come at the pace it could be with the former top pairings. At the same time, its also not a priority right now given how poor the defense has been all season and equally so due to how strong the offense has been.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#26 Gregsbouch

Gregsbouch

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

I know this is the wrong forum but I had people back out last minute. I got two tickets lower bowl for this game if anyone is interested PM me.

EDIT: SOLD

Go Wings give me a good game tonight

Edited by Gregsbouch, 22 February 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

I want a win no matter what, but it might be good to grind out another defensive win. Keep San Jose to 1 or fewer goals just to help the stats and show the team can still play tight defense, that it wasn't just a fluke.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hoping for a good win here today Wings. If they play like they have been lately, I am confident they will get it done. The defense has been good, I want that to keep up!

They play some tough teams in the stretch coming up, every win will be important.
Posted Image

#29 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,620 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

Opposition gdt is posted.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#30 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

I thought Mo might be back tonight...any word
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,620 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

He's targeting February 26 against Buffalo.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

He said on FSN broadcast last week that the Feb. 26th game in Buffalo is his target. Won't be Thursday because its against his former, longtime franchise and too many "subplots" as he put it.

Edited by HankthaTank, 22 February 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,620 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

He said on FSN broadcast last week that the Feb. 26th game in Buffalo is his target. Won't be Thursday because its against his former, longtime franchise and too much "subplots" as he put it.

That's a disappointment. He's only played against Dallas once this season, I would have liked to have seen him face them at home with his new team in a winning effort rather than on the road in a loss.

#34 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

That's a disappointment. He's only played against Dallas once this season, I would have liked to have seen him face them at home with his new team in a winning effort rather than on the road in a loss.

Agreed but the squad is rolling and we aren't totally aching for him to get back like some others. I do love the depth Mo brings us but he can wait it out a tad longer I suppose.

#35 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

Scott Nichol seems to have it in for the wings, tried jumping Kronwall last time they played and Abdelkader last year in the playoffs.

I wish someone would just fight him and put him in his place, he isnt a very good fighter and he's small, he shouldn't just be taking liberties on guys like Kronner. He would be a good tilt for Abdelkader, hopefully it happens.

I dunno how I feel about this game, could go either way I guess, hopefully Howard stays hot

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#36 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'm still not big on Lidstrom/Stuart.

What I want to see is one of these:

Lidstrom/Ericsson
Kronwall/Stuart
Salei/Rafalski

Lidstrom/Ericsson
Salei/Kronwall
Rafalski/Stuart

Lidstrom/Ericsson
(Yes, I like this pairing)
Kronwall/Rafalski
Kindl/Stuart

Let's see Babs try some of those for regular pairs, come on man!

Ericsson and Rafalski have been our most productive pairing. That is not even up for debate. They've played together for 80% of the time and have the best +/- and points at even strength of any pairing...and you want to break them up? They make their mistakes, but they are so damn good together. Who gives a flying fudge if they let in one goal a game as long as they score two goals a game? Just stop.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#37 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

mindfly is that you?

:scared:

Lolz.

No, because I said I hoped I was wrong. I really get the feeling they're going to lose this one or the Dallas game. Sharks are on a roll on the road and have already won in JLA this year.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, uh, you don't get fooled again.

#38 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

For some reason I am sensing a high scoring game.. Hopefully Franzen has a flash back and thinks this is a playoff elimination game.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#39 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Scott Nichol seems to have it in for the wings, tried jumping Kronwall last time they played and Abdelkader last year in the playoffs.

I wish someone would just fight him and put him in his place, he isnt a very good fighter and he's small, he shouldn't just be taking liberties on guys like Kronner. He would be a good tilt for Abdelkader, hopefully it happens.

I dunno how I feel about this game, could go either way I guess, hopefully Howard stays hot

Hell no, I don't want one of our better penalty killers wasting 5 minutes in the box, fighting Nichol would be useless, and it might just backfire. That trade off is totally not worth it, Nichol is going to spend a whole 8 minutes on the ice? No thanks, I'd rather see Abdelkader forechecking and placing fear on the defenseman.

#40 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

I wonder how many power plays and or 5 on 3's the Sharks will have in the first period?

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.