• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Tomas Holmstrom

Rate this topic

Personally, I think he's almost done.

He's not really being utilised on the PP anymore as we have 6 regular forwards (Dats, Hank, Huds, Cleary, Bert, Franzen) and he's really rather limited in what he can do 5-on-5. He has 2 goals the past 15 games, and now that Datsyuk has found two linemates in Hudler and Cleary, where does Holmstrom sit in the big picture? You could maybe blow up the current second line and put Homer alongside Hank, but I don't like the proposed new third line when Filppula returns. Pairing Flip with Homer screams potential disaster to me, as neither of them will play to their strengths.

Thoughts? Will he amp is up come playoff time where his types usually shine? Will this thread work as a jinx and he'll start scoring like he has in past years? I do wish he was only on a 1 year deal though.

For a guy who skates like Homer, it's no surprise he's not contributing playing with Abdelkader and Miller. Once Fil and Modano are back and we can roll 3 scoring lines, I expect Homer will be better. Honestly, i've liked his game lately. He's made smart passes, played good defence. I think he'll be fine. Franzen is more of a piss off for me, he's playing with talent and scoring no goals.

For a guy who skates like Homer, it's no surprise he's not contributing playing with Abdelkader and Miller. Once Fil and Modano are back and we can roll 3 scoring lines, I expect Homer will be better. Honestly, i've liked his game lately. He's made smart passes, played good defence. I think he'll be fine. Franzen is more of a piss off for me, he's playing with talent and scoring no goals.

Interesting. I mean we know Homer works with Dats and Hank, and in the few times he's played alongside Helm I actually think he fits in there. So maybe playing with Flip wouldn't be so bad, throw in Modano and you've got a line that's far from conventional, but it might just work. I guess we'll find out shortly.

Interesting. I mean we know Homer works with Dats and Hank, and in the few times he's played alongside Helm I actually think he fits in there. So maybe playing with Flip wouldn't be so bad, throw in Modano and you've got a line that's far from conventional, but it might just work. I guess we'll find out shortly.

Well put :lol: and I agree, but who knows. Did anyone think Hudler-Datsyuk-Cleary would turn out as well as it has? Plus, to me the biggest thing about getting Mo and Fil back is SPEED. They are fast guys, who move the puck well. It's gonna be huge IMO.

+1

ive had enough of him right now. Playing like a wasted top 6 player.

Personally, I think he's almost done.

He's not really being utilised on the PP anymore as we have 6 regular forwards (Dats, Hank, Huds, Cleary, Bert, Franzen) and he's really rather limited in what he can do 5-on-5. He has 2 goals the past 15 games, and now that Datsyuk has found two linemates in Hudler and Cleary, where does Holmstrom sit in the big picture? You could maybe blow up the current second line and put Homer alongside Hank, but I don't like the proposed new third line when Filppula returns. Pairing Flip with Homer screams potential disaster to me, as neither of them will play to their strengths.

Thoughts? Will he amp is up come playoff time where his types usually shine? Will this thread work as a jinx and he'll start scoring like he has in past years? I do wish he was only on a 1 year deal though.

2 goals the past 15 games doesn't indicate that his career is "almost done". He's in a slump, not unlike Franzen, or Hudler for the first half of the season. Yeah, Dats, Clears, and Huds have some pretty good chemistry going but we all know that isn't going to last. Players run hot and cold, and coaches run hot players until they're cold, then change the lines up to get 'em going again. The moment that one of Datsyuk, Cleary, or Hudler slows down in production, the line is blown up.

Dont get me wrong, I love Homer and all he has done for the team in his career but these last few years have not been very good for him. Homer is basically useless 5 on 5, I think he might be the slowest guy in the NHL. If he isn't parked in front of the net on a PP playing with the best players in the world he is not going to do much at this point in his career. I kind of wish the guy would call it quits, im thinking we would be better off without him right now.

2 goals the past 15 games doesn't indicate that his career is "almost done". He's in a slump, not unlike Franzen, or Hudler for the first half of the season. Yeah, Dats, Clears, and Huds have some pretty good chemistry going but we all know that isn't going to last. Players run hot and cold, and coaches run hot players until they're cold, then change the lines up to get 'em going again. The moment that one of Datsyuk, Cleary, or Hudler slows down in production, the line is blown up.

How are they similar?

Holmstrom is 38.

Franzen is 31.

Hudler is 26.

Holmstrom is slowing down, his last ES goal came on Decemeber 11th.

Holmstrom sucks even strength, that's no secret. But as others have said, Franzen is quite worrisome, and Zetterberg has been irking me as well. Zetterberg has 2 goals in the past 17 games. I know he is killing it in the assist column, but he isn't paid to be a playmaker, he's being paid for lock down defense and 40+ goals. I know I know, "but he's racking up the points", but we need someone to score goals.

We have too many damn passers. i get it, the job is getting done, but that's going to bite us in the ass sooner or later, like it did tonight. We got two fluky goals and a nice goal from Zetterberg, but we need at least one of Franzen and Zetterberg to pot at least one goal a game from her eon out and through the playoffs.

Zetterberg has 1 ES goal this new year.

Edited by Konnan511

How are they similar?

Holmstrom is 38.

Franzen is 31.

Hudler is 26.

Holmstrom is slowing down, his last ES goal came on Decemeber 11th.

In terms of production (as that is what this issue is about, right?) they're completely similar. Player A doesn't score for a certain period of time. Player B doesn't score for a comparable period of time. Player C doesn't score for a comparable period of time. Nobody is immune from droughts regardless of how old or young they are. Selanne still has droughts, so does Lidstrom and Knuble and Whitney and Alfredson. Would you have preferred if I used them in my analogy instead of Franzen and Hudler?

I also alluded earlier to the fact that lines are not concrete, but rather fragile and malleable. The moment something isn't going smoothly for the team, Babs mixes things up. Homer gives him some options to play with. No he's not a good skater or stick handler or shooter or passer or checker or fighter, but he never was. Not now when he's 38, and not back when he was 28. What he's good for is giving goalies hell in front of the net, working the corners down low, and attracting as much defensive attention to himself to open up the ice around the mid-boards or slot area. On the lines that he's been on since mid December, those skills aren't as utilized as when he's playing with top 6 talent.

IMO, we need to go back to Z-Dats-Homer first to maximize potential. I hate to suggest it because the H-D-C line is key right now.

But with Flip and Mo returning, there is potential for more effective line combos i think. There will be a lot of guys who go silent if the HDC line stays together for much longer. Franzen and Homer are the tip of the iceberg. I see Bert following along, and Z hasn't been scoring. Let datsyuk center him and we'll see him score more. Fil isn't a prolific scorer, so he could center Hudler and Franzen. I'd like Bert-Mo-Cleary.

I say this stuff and it doesn't make sense now, because we have some scoring from the first line, but not much from the others. There was a stat that they have scored like 27 of the last 54 goals for the wings or something. Thats a little lopsided, i'd like to see some more balance like earlier in the year when at least two lines were firing on any given night. I guess what im saying is: would you guys roll into the playoffs with HDC as first line? no, we'd all be wanting ZDH cause its clutch as f***. Why not make the transition now when everyone returns.

Don't know why Babcock isn't using him constantly on the powerplay anymore. I guess it might be because he doesn't have chemistry 5 on 5 with those linemates due to playing on the lower lines.

Still, there's no point dressing him if he's not going to be on the powerplay.

Holmstrom sucks even strength, that's no secret. But as others have said, Franzen is quite worrisome, and Zetterberg has been irking me as well. Zetterberg has 2 goals in the past 17 games. I know he is killing it in the assist column, but he isn't paid to be a playmaker, he's being paid for lock down defense and 40+ goals. I know I know, "but he's racking up the points", but we need someone to score goals.

We have too many damn passers. i get it, the job is getting done, but that's going to bite us in the ass sooner or later, like it did tonight. We got two fluky goals and a nice goal from Zetterberg, but we need at least one of Franzen and Zetterberg to pot at least one goal a game from her eon out and through the playoffs.

Zetterberg isn't paid to be a playmaker? Why not?

Franzen does need to shoot more and quit trying to pass to Bertuzzi. But what's going to bite the Wings in the ass is their inability to keep an opponent from scoring less than 4 goals.

Red Wings Goals per game: 2nd overall

Goals Against: 17th

In the playoffs he always brings it. It's not a red wings playoff game unless homer gets a big goal waived off for a good goal from any other forward in the league

Ahahaha! Yes. Looking forward to incredibly biased officiating this spring!

I'm kinda having a hard time wrapping my head around that we've started a Homlstrom hate thread already.

Says who? Who says a player is only paid for one type of scoring? Z was given that contract while playing alongside Dats for the majority of his career. At that time, Dats was the set-up man and Z was the goal-scorer. Dats was given his new contract, and was told to shoot the puck and now he's become more dangerous in that regard. Z was given his new contract, was split-up from Dats and is know playing on a line of more-or-less s***ty passers who both excel at burying the puck. Is it really any surprise that his goal-scoring is down while Bert's is flourishing?

Put Z on a line with someone that can actually distribute the puck and his goals will follow. Until then, Z is doing what needs to be done to make his line successful....and he's doing a hell-of-a job, at that.

Bottom line is he's paid to score, and that's what he's doing.

Zetterberg has been irking me as well. Zetterberg has 2 goals in the past 17 games. I know he is killing it in the assist column, but he isn't paid to be a playmaker, he's being paid for lock down defense and 40+ goals. I know I know, "but he's racking up the points", but we need someone to score goals.

Uhhh, we are still scoring a lot of goals without Hank being that guy. He has 18 goals and is on pace for a pretty awesome season point total wise. He doesn't have the exact same role he once did and is an amazing playmaker and puck handler for his line. I don't quite understand why people have to be "irked" at Z because he isn't netting as many goals. We also have no clue what pain he is experiencing this year with his back. Points are points and he is obviously contributing on a nightly basis.

Dont get me wrong, I love Homer and all he has done for the team in his career but these last few years have not been very good for him. Homer is basically useless 5 on 5, I think he might be the slowest guy in the NHL. If he isn't parked in front of the net on a PP playing with the best players in the world he is not going to do much at this point in his career. I kind of wish the guy would call it quits, im thinking we would be better off without him right now.

If he calls it quits, the Wings are on the hook for his cap hit next year. Just sayin....