• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Gregsbouch

Gregsbouch

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

I go, get annoyed by how bad the seating, bathrooms and general inefficiency at which the city of Detroit seems to like running at. Take some time off, get over it, go again, repeat cycle. 4 or 5 times a year.

#22 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

Poor Stevekrause, gets flamed for how he does or doesn't spend his money...
It is his money, he can be as entitled as he wants. Don't like the arena, don't go to it. Nothing wrong with that philosophy at all.

agreed but he should not discourage someone else from going.... thats not what the original post was asking.
and he did add his "discouraging" 2 cents worth after his answer.

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

did I say it makes you less of a fan? no... Did I say you were not a fan? NO!

I support the product..... not the wrapping. I like to cheer my team in the place they call home..... It might not be the best house on the block... But I wont "Boycott" the Joe...
to me thats a s*** way of saying "Id rather stay home and watch every game". it s a excuse.... just sayin.

fair enough and I apologize for putting words in your mouth then, so to speak...

I just think people make too many excuses for the Joe based off the quality of team we have playing there and as long as they're still at the Joe, you are correct, I would would rather stay home and watch the games, no excuses about it, just simply put.

Poor Stevekrause, gets flamed for how he does or doesn't spend his money...
It is his money, he can be as entitled as he wants. Don't like the arena, don't go to it. Nothing wrong with that philosophy at all.

thank you! Some reason here, finally... I was never, at any point, telling others NOT to go to the Joe, just explaining why I don't anymore...

agreed but he should not discourage someone else from going.... thats not what the original post was asking.
and he did add his "discouraging" 2 cents worth after his answer.

not true, I gave my opinion on why I wouldn't buy tickets for any seats past row 10 of the upper bowl and I explained why - subsequent posts were merely backing my opinion, which some people, including you, seemed to be so offended by...

Edited by stevkrause, 23 February 2011 - 01:50 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#24 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Original Question was....

Does anyone know how many rows of seating there are in the upper bowl? More specifically in Section 202 B. I'm trying to buy tickets in this section, but I don't want to be stuck at the very top where you have the ceiling right above you. Can anyone help me out? I would appreciate it.

Should of stopped there.

Unless you're in the first 10 rows of the upper bowl, it's not great...

Personally, I won't even go to the Joe anymore unless I'm in the lower bowl, the seats are too crammed up top, the concourse sucks and the bathrooms are a disaster... last season I vowed to not go to another game until they get a new arena...

The rest was a discouraging 2 cents. Its l not like it is NEW NEWS that the JLA is old and outdated.... You didnt interrupt a program with Breaking News here.
While I am sure your opinion is valid..(Trust me I am not saying the JLA is a castle - I know better) I just think the spirit of the comment was not needed.

I would never question the heart of a fan that follows a team... Maybe one that wont go see them because they don't have the newest and coolest.... sounds materialistic to me...
kinda shallow too.

But.. If your TV makes you happy.....AWESOME.... But I bet you would take those "In the ceiling seats" if you were offered them for a playoff game or SCF game. I know I would.

#25 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Just be glad you can even go to the Joe. I live in TX and have only been once where I had an amazing experience. I sat in 204B, I'm 5'6" and I was cramped to all get out, but you know what, I didn't give a s***. Because I was at the Joe, at a Wings game...the fact that it was game 5 of the Finals really had nothing to do with it, ok maybe a little, but I get just as amped wherever and whenever I see them. For comparison, the american airlines center is damn nice, but its still cramped in the lower bowl. That's the nature of all sports arenas, maximize seating numbers. I don't think I've ever sat comfortably through an event at any arena to be honest.

To each his own, but if I could see the ice from the stalls at the Joe I'd gladly buy that ticket as well. I just want to watch some damned hockey.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#26 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

Original Question was....

Should of stopped there.

The rest was a discouraging 2 cents. Its l not like it is NEW NEWS that the JLA is old and outdated.... You didnt interrupt a program with Breaking News here.
While I am sure your opinion is valid..(Trust me I am not saying the JLA is a castle - I know better) I just think the spirit of the comment was not needed.

I would never question the heart of a fan that follows a team... Maybe one that wont go see them because they don't have the newest and coolest.... sounds materialistic to me...
kinda shallow too.

But.. If your TV makes you happy.....AWESOME.... But I bet you would take those "In the ceiling seats" if you were offered them for a playoff game or SCF game. I know I would.

Message Board=Opinions.

As I already covered, it has nothing to do with it being the "newest and coolest", it has to do with expecting more for my entertainment dollar. period. The Palace is over 30 years old, but is still a legit venue at least... call me all the names you want, I think it's sad that so many people are willing to accept such a poor arena, just because of the team in it, even when that team is the best professional sports franchise in the world... expect more.

Also, I turned down tickets to round 1 last year because they were upper bowl.

Edited by stevkrause, 23 February 2011 - 02:11 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#27 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

Message Board=Opinions.

As I already covered, it has nothing to do with it being the "newest and coolest", it has to do with expecting more for my entertainment dollar. period. The Palace is over 30 years old, but is still a legit venue at least... call me all the names you want, I think it's sad that so many people are willing to accept such a poor arena, just because of the team in it, even when that team is the best professional sports franchise in the world... expect more.

The Palace opened in 1988 (22/23 years old), the Joe Louis opened in 1979 (31/32). Very significant difference.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#28 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

The Palace opened in 1988 (22/23 years old), the Joe Louis opened in 1979 (31/32). Very significant difference.

I thought it opened it 78, well got my facts wrong there then... but it doesn't change the fact that the Joe is over 30 years old without any significant renovations and now, unfortunately, it is too far gone to renovate...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#29 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Message Board=Opinions.

Exactly.

I do not think Ill of you by the way... opinions opinions.... I wish I went to enough games that I could turn down tickets!

I LIke the Palace... But I would NOT go to see the Palace right now... I would not pay to sit in a nice arena to see the team get their asses handed to them ..that is not what I expect from my entertainment dollar. entertainment is not WHERE I AM its what I am seeing.

my second point is on the second part of my bold there...What choice do we have if we want to see the Red Wings play in person?
Do they play somewhere else?

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan, 23 February 2011 - 03:02 PM.

#30 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

Exactly.

I do not think Ill of you by the way... opinions opinions.... I wish I went to enough games that I could turn down tickets!

That probably has a good deal to do with it too, maybe I'm just burnt out on the short comings because I have been to so many games there and the little annoyances build up over time...

like a relationship, when you overlook the little annoyances in the beginning, but over time, that chewing on the fingernails, or twirling of the hair that you once found cute, now becomes like nails on the chalkboard... maybe the Joe and I just need couples counseling, haha

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#31 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

That probably has a good deal to do with it too, maybe I'm just burnt out on the short comings because I have been to so many games there and the little annoyances build up over time...

like a relationship, when you overlook the little annoyances in the beginning, but over time, that chewing on the fingernails, or twirling of the hair that you once found cute, now becomes like nails on the chalkboard... maybe the Joe and I just need couples counseling, haha

Ha Ha HA .:thumbup: funny.

#32 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

I LIke the Palace... But I would NOT go to see the Palace right now... I would not pay to sit in a nice arena to see the team get their asses handed to them ..that is not what I expect from my entertainment dollar. entertainment is not WHERE I AM its what I am seeing.

oh, I agree completely and the venue alone is NOWHERE near enough reason to go to a game and the product on the ice is MUCH more important than the venue they are in, but that does not absolve the arena of its short comings, much like the fact (although in a lesser capacity) that an amazing venue does not absolve a horrible team of its shortcomings on the "field"(ie. Ford Field and the Detroit Lions until this past season)

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#33 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

oh, I agree completely and the venue alone is NOWHERE near enough reason to go to a game and the product on the ice is MUCH more important than the venue they are in, but that does not absolve the arena of its short comings, much like the fact (although in a lesser capacity) that an amazing venue does not absolve a horrible team of its shortcomings on the "field"(ie. Ford Field and the Detroit Lions until this past season)

Agree....:thumbup:

#34 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

There's really no such thing as a bad seat at the Joe. The Joe has a special charm to it, a grittiness that matches the surrounding city. Its not as horrible as some people make it out to be. They're even expanding the beer selection, which is a huge plus for us beer drinkers. I've been all the way up to the top of the 200 section, right up to glass, and pretty much everything in between. Each has its own plus's and minus's, and they're all great seats.

When the Wings do get a new arena, its going to be nice, shiny, and generic, just like every other team's arena. Enjoy the Joe and all its old school charm while it lasts.

Oh, and regarding the bathrooms at JLA, this is totally from a male perspective, but it only takes about 5 minutes to get in and out, and thats during the intermission. People get so over dramatic about the bathroom situation at the Joe...

#35 Blueliner

Blueliner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

The Joe is by far my favorite place to watch a hockey game. I've seen games in St. Louis, Atlanta and Columbus and the Joe is my favorite. The atmoshpere it creates is awesome. I go there to watch hockey games. I'm not a three year-old that needs to be entertained at every second by flashing lights and dramatic introductions. I just watch the game. I'm so focused that I don't even realize that I'm shoulder to shoulder to the person next to me. As far as concourse, concessions and bathrooms, here is some advice.

1. Get to the game early. Don't wait until 7:30 to walk in the door.
2. Eat and drink before the game. That way you don't have to buy a Hot-n-Ready" for $19.
3. Limit the beer. More drinks equals more trips to the bathroom.
4. Go to the bathroom right when the horn goes. Don't wait a couple minutes and then decide to go.

People can't expect an arena to be just like their living room.

#36 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

I'm not a three year-old that needs to be entertained at every second by flashing lights and dramatic introductions. I just watch the game. I'm so focused that I don't even realize that I'm shoulder to shoulder to the person next to me. As far as concourse, concessions and bathrooms, here is some advice.

1. Get to the game early. Don't wait until 7:30 to walk in the door.
2. Eat and drink before the game. That way you don't have to buy a Hot-n-Ready" for $19.
3. Limit the beer. More drinks equals more trips to the bathroom.
4. Go to the bathroom right when the horn goes. Don't wait a couple minutes and then decide to go.

Pretty much all of this. Posted Image

Plenty of good bars to go to. Who walks into the game sober?? Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#37 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

Got Sec.217A Row 6 for tomorrow bitchezzzzzz!
Posted Image

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#38 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

I sat in 202B last night in row 18. The seats were good. I don't think there's a ceiling in the section because there's a suite at the top. I think the one's with a ceiling at the top say "Obstructed View" and they really mean obstructed view because the slope of the arena isn't great enough and you have to stand the entire game to see over the people in front of you, especially if you're short.

But 202B row 18 where I sat was a great seat. Best part is it's right by the Gordie Howe entrance, I always end up on the first people mover train!

#39 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

The only problem I have is being 5'1" and having taller people sitting in front of me...along with a hubby in a wheelchair who can't see anything because there are people standing in front of him. We loved being up in the Veterans' suite last year, because we got a great view and it was really nice, but they won't let us up there this year. Which totally sucks.
Posted Image

#40 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

The only problem I have is being 5'1" and having taller people sitting in front of me...along with a hubby in a wheelchair who can't see anything because there are people standing in front of him. We loved being up in the Veterans' suite last year, because we got a great view and it was really nice, but they won't let us up there this year. Which totally sucks.

I'm sorry to hear that, and I was actually looking around at the last game I went to and noticed there weren't a whole lot of options for handicapped folks at the Joe. I have the opposite issue that you have (and perhaps I cause yours). I'm 6'3" which means no sitting up straight because the people behind me can't see well, my knees are rubbing up against the guy-in-front-of-me's ears, and to reconcile, I usually end up leaning sideways a bit which is a great annoyance to whomever I'm sitting next to.