• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

JLA Seating question

Rate this topic

Original Question was....

Should of stopped there.

The rest was a discouraging 2 cents. Its l not like it is NEW NEWS that the JLA is old and outdated.... You didnt interrupt a program with Breaking News here.

While I am sure your opinion is valid..(Trust me I am not saying the JLA is a castle - I know better) I just think the spirit of the comment was not needed.

I would never question the heart of a fan that follows a team... Maybe one that wont go see them because they don't have the newest and coolest.... sounds materialistic to me...

kinda shallow too.

But.. If your TV makes you happy.....AWESOME.... But I bet you would take those "In the ceiling seats" if you were offered them for a playoff game or SCF game. I know I would.

Message Board=Opinions.

As I already covered, it has nothing to do with it being the "newest and coolest", it has to do with expecting more for my entertainment dollar. period. The Palace is over 30 years old, but is still a legit venue at least... call me all the names you want, I think it's sad that so many people are willing to accept such a poor arena, just because of the team in it, even when that team is the best professional sports franchise in the world... expect more.

Also, I turned down tickets to round 1 last year because they were upper bowl.

Edited by stevkrause

Message Board=Opinions.

As I already covered, it has nothing to do with it being the "newest and coolest", it has to do with expecting more for my entertainment dollar. period. The Palace is over 30 years old, but is still a legit venue at least... call me all the names you want, I think it's sad that so many people are willing to accept such a poor arena, just because of the team in it, even when that team is the best professional sports franchise in the world... expect more.

The Palace opened in 1988 (22/23 years old), the Joe Louis opened in 1979 (31/32). Very significant difference.

The Palace opened in 1988 (22/23 years old), the Joe Louis opened in 1979 (31/32). Very significant difference.

I thought it opened it 78, well got my facts wrong there then... but it doesn't change the fact that the Joe is over 30 years old without any significant renovations and now, unfortunately, it is too far gone to renovate...

Message Board=Opinions.

Exactly.

I do not think Ill of you by the way... opinions opinions.... I wish I went to enough games that I could turn down tickets!

I LIke the Palace... But I would NOT go to see the Palace right now... I would not pay to sit in a nice arena to see the team get their asses handed to them ..that is not what I expect from my entertainment dollar. entertainment is not WHERE I AM its what I am seeing.

my second point is on the second part of my bold there...What choice do we have if we want to see the Red Wings play in person?

Do they play somewhere else?

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Exactly.

I do not think Ill of you by the way... opinions opinions.... I wish I went to enough games that I could turn down tickets!

That probably has a good deal to do with it too, maybe I'm just burnt out on the short comings because I have been to so many games there and the little annoyances build up over time...

like a relationship, when you overlook the little annoyances in the beginning, but over time, that chewing on the fingernails, or twirling of the hair that you once found cute, now becomes like nails on the chalkboard... maybe the Joe and I just need couples counseling, haha

That probably has a good deal to do with it too, maybe I'm just burnt out on the short comings because I have been to so many games there and the little annoyances build up over time...

like a relationship, when you overlook the little annoyances in the beginning, but over time, that chewing on the fingernails, or twirling of the hair that you once found cute, now becomes like nails on the chalkboard... maybe the Joe and I just need couples counseling, haha

Ha Ha HA .:thumbup: funny.

I LIke the Palace... But I would NOT go to see the Palace right now... I would not pay to sit in a nice arena to see the team get their asses handed to them ..that is not what I expect from my entertainment dollar. entertainment is not WHERE I AM its what I am seeing.

oh, I agree completely and the venue alone is NOWHERE near enough reason to go to a game and the product on the ice is MUCH more important than the venue they are in, but that does not absolve the arena of its short comings, much like the fact (although in a lesser capacity) that an amazing venue does not absolve a horrible team of its shortcomings on the "field"(ie. Ford Field and the Detroit Lions until this past season)

oh, I agree completely and the venue alone is NOWHERE near enough reason to go to a game and the product on the ice is MUCH more important than the venue they are in, but that does not absolve the arena of its short comings, much like the fact (although in a lesser capacity) that an amazing venue does not absolve a horrible team of its shortcomings on the "field"(ie. Ford Field and the Detroit Lions until this past season)

Agree....:thumbup:

There's really no such thing as a bad seat at the Joe. The Joe has a special charm to it, a grittiness that matches the surrounding city. Its not as horrible as some people make it out to be. They're even expanding the beer selection, which is a huge plus for us beer drinkers. I've been all the way up to the top of the 200 section, right up to glass, and pretty much everything in between. Each has its own plus's and minus's, and they're all great seats.

When the Wings do get a new arena, its going to be nice, shiny, and generic, just like every other team's arena. Enjoy the Joe and all its old school charm while it lasts.

Oh, and regarding the bathrooms at JLA, this is totally from a male perspective, but it only takes about 5 minutes to get in and out, and thats during the intermission. People get so over dramatic about the bathroom situation at the Joe...

The Joe is by far my favorite place to watch a hockey game. I've seen games in St. Louis, Atlanta and Columbus and the Joe is my favorite. The atmoshpere it creates is awesome. I go there to watch hockey games. I'm not a three year-old that needs to be entertained at every second by flashing lights and dramatic introductions. I just watch the game. I'm so focused that I don't even realize that I'm shoulder to shoulder to the person next to me. As far as concourse, concessions and bathrooms, here is some advice.

1. Get to the game early. Don't wait until 7:30 to walk in the door.

2. Eat and drink before the game. That way you don't have to buy a Hot-n-Ready" for $19.

3. Limit the beer. More drinks equals more trips to the bathroom.

4. Go to the bathroom right when the horn goes. Don't wait a couple minutes and then decide to go.

People can't expect an arena to be just like their living room.

I'm not a three year-old that needs to be entertained at every second by flashing lights and dramatic introductions. I just watch the game. I'm so focused that I don't even realize that I'm shoulder to shoulder to the person next to me. As far as concourse, concessions and bathrooms, here is some advice.

1. Get to the game early. Don't wait until 7:30 to walk in the door.

2. Eat and drink before the game. That way you don't have to buy a Hot-n-Ready" for $19.

3. Limit the beer. More drinks equals more trips to the bathroom.

4. Go to the bathroom right when the horn goes. Don't wait a couple minutes and then decide to go.

Pretty much all of this. thumbup.gif

Plenty of good bars to go to. Who walks into the game sober?? laugh.gif

I sat in 202B last night in row 18. The seats were good. I don't think there's a ceiling in the section because there's a suite at the top. I think the one's with a ceiling at the top say "Obstructed View" and they really mean obstructed view because the slope of the arena isn't great enough and you have to stand the entire game to see over the people in front of you, especially if you're short.

But 202B row 18 where I sat was a great seat. Best part is it's right by the Gordie Howe entrance, I always end up on the first people mover train!

The only problem I have is being 5'1" and having taller people sitting in front of me...along with a hubby in a wheelchair who can't see anything because there are people standing in front of him. We loved being up in the Veterans' suite last year, because we got a great view and it was really nice, but they won't let us up there this year. Which totally sucks.

The only problem I have is being 5'1" and having taller people sitting in front of me...along with a hubby in a wheelchair who can't see anything because there are people standing in front of him. We loved being up in the Veterans' suite last year, because we got a great view and it was really nice, but they won't let us up there this year. Which totally sucks.

I'm sorry to hear that, and I was actually looking around at the last game I went to and noticed there weren't a whole lot of options for handicapped folks at the Joe. I have the opposite issue that you have (and perhaps I cause yours). I'm 6'3" which means no sitting up straight because the people behind me can't see well, my knees are rubbing up against the guy-in-front-of-me's ears, and to reconcile, I usually end up leaning sideways a bit which is a great annoyance to whomever I'm sitting next to.

Being a mere 5'8", I don't have a real problem with the seating, but I can certainly see how someone even a few inches taller than I would have issues. The only problem is, building a new arena doesn't guarantee more leg room. They're going to get as many seats in there as possible whether the average fan is 5'8" or 6'4". You will also give up sight lines with a new arena. I have sat everywhere possible in the Joe and have never been disappointed with the view.