• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
up2here

Zherdev On Waivers

Rate this topic

Nikolay Zherdev - W -

Flyers Nikolay Zherdev has been placed on waivers by Philadelphia.

He has been a healthy scratch for the Flyers frequently this season and he has watched the past six games from the press box before requesting that something be done to get him a change. "It had eroded to the point where they wanted to see what else is out there," GM Paul Holmgren said. Zherdev has 15 goals and four assists in 47 appearances this season. Stay tuned to see where he ends up.

This guy has tons of talent and , from what weve seen, very little work ethic. Might be interesting if he ended up here with Babcock and Pav. Not sure of his salary.

Nikolay Zherdev - W -

Flyers Nikolay Zherdev has been placed on waivers by Philadelphia.

He has been a healthy scratch for the Flyers frequently this season and he has watched the past six games from the press box before requesting that something be done to get him a change. "It had eroded to the point where they wanted to see what else is out there," GM Paul Holmgren said. Zherdev has 15 goals and four assists in 47 appearances this season. Stay tuned to see where he ends up.

This guy has tons of talent and , from what weve seen, very little work ethic. Might be interesting if he ended up here with Babcock and Pav. Not sure of his salary.

Those types of players do not fit in here.

Dan Cleary had that rep. before he got here too though.

I never remember hearing anything negative about Cleary's work ethic, it was always just that he was expected to be more than he was... I'm not saying Zherdev would never work here, or couldn't turn it around, I just don't see it in him...

EDIT - Side note, I thought Zherdev was older than he is... maybe he is still just finding his place and just needs a good kick in the butt from some solid leadership?

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Crymson

Those types of players do not fit in here.

Exactly.

And he proved in his tryout that he had changed.

But Cleary also came in on a tryout and worked his ass off to make the team. Zherdev? No want...

I agree its hard to compare the two situations and youre right that Cleary had to hit rock bottom before he turned it around. I just wouldnt dismiss signing this kid too quickly if we can swing the cap hit.

Guest Crymson

I agree its hard to compare the two situations and youre right that Cleary had to hit rock bottom before he turned it around. I just wouldnt dismiss signing this kid too quickly if we can swing the cap hit.

We can't, and we have a glut of forwards already.

Very interesting, his numbers aren't even that bad, I guess the flyers are just that deep at forward.

I recall a few years ago when he was a FA, a lot of folks on LGW wanted the Wings to take a chance on him for cheap. I agree with others that 2m is too steep for what he has shown so far, but he has too much talent to overlook entirely. Hopefully for his sake he lands on the right team that can help his work ethic and potential.

It IS fun to think about him on a line with Pavs, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Yup. Cleary had to realize that he'd be out of an NHL job unless he learned to work his ass off every night. If Zherdev comes to that realization he could be a really good player.

With a cap hit of $2,000,000, UFA status next year and a ton of talent there's virtually zero chance he passes through waivers without being claimed.

yet it's acceptable for a $2.8M cap hit for someone who only has 10 more points and has played in 9 more games?

Stats since Christmas:

Hudler:

25gp 5g 18a 23pts +8 (0.92pts/g)

*Part of the Wings' top line and extremely productive since the Christmas break*

Zherdev:

15gp 2g 2a 4pts +2 (0.27pts/g)

*Blows chunks and has been a healthy scratch for the last 6 games*

Just a quick note: hockey teams win with the line-up that's on the ice right now. If someone was amazing in October/Novermber but has sucked ass since they suck ass as far as the team is concerned. If your goalie had 5 shut outs in November but has a 5 GAA and 0.80 Sv% since Christmas HE SUCKS NOW. What does Babcock always say? "What have you done for me lately"

Your bias and blindness when it comes to players you don't like is amazing.

You'd have to be brain-damaged to not know the difference between these two players from an NHL GM's stand point.

When Hudler didn't work on the ice Babcock scratched him. Since December he's been skating hard (not fast but we can't change the fact that he's never been a great skater) and fighting for the puck on every play. If you'd watched the Wings play recently you'd already have noticed that Hudler's done a complete 180 from his s***ty, listless play in the first quarter of the season.