• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
e_prime

Avery Sucks.

Rate this topic

Probably 50 "tough" guys who can turn on the offense in the league I'd take over Avery just on principle alone.

I could too but thats counting guys like Lucic, Stewart, Iggy and Clowe.

I can guarantee you cant list 50 tough guys that play bottom 6, put up as many points as Avery does (~30) and can efficiently play a grinding, physical role.

I dont like Avery at all but people let their blind hate for the **** hide the fact that he can play the game. The only guy that I would say is better then him in our bottom 6 is Helm and thats even debatable.

We also seem to have a "No Fighting" and "No Hitting" policy that goes nicely with our shameful "Don't back your teammates up" policy.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

Don't understand why Wings fans would hate Avery. He plays in the East and hasn't really done anything in Detroit to be hated so much.

I'd love to have a guy like Avery on the team. He's also a much better player than anyone would care to admit.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Is that an order?

Don't hate just because Avery plays with more heart in the average game than a guy like Franzen has demonstrated this entire season.

Avery is certainly better playing with his heart than his brain thats for sure. Ive also also thought that our guys play with heart, but this season Ive noticed more then a few times our player will get jabbed, slashed, crosschecked, tomahawked ect...yet our guys do f*** ALL and its starting to piss me off. With the exception of Clears and Ericsson. Ive been happy with/for Big Bert as well...But I think Its time for Big Bad Bert to appearthumbup.gif

Guest Shoreline
Someone please explain what makes you dislike him so much...? His mouth?

Well.. these..

In response to his hazing of Brown:

Brown has/had a slight speech impediment, for which Avery mocked him. Not sure if this was cruel tormenting, or a couple of jabs every now and then. Either way, not very cool to do to a teammate; especially a rookie.

His attitude.

His dives.

His lack of respect for his teammates (See: Yzerman comment).

Take your pick.

.. and this:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=396369

The Red Wings, with Holland pulling the trigger, traded him midway through the following season.

"The only thing I would say is obviously we had him as a young player at that time and our concern was his lack of respect for the game, the people in the game and, obviously, he left us," Holland said. "He has worked his way through a few organizations now and it's apparent that he hasn't matured."

No, Sean Avery does not come off to me as a tough guy, or as a guy that would be useful to the Wings any more or less useful than he wasn't on the Wings beforehand. He's the poster child for silly antics and getting your name in the paper with controversy and not actual playing skill. At least in the NBA Dennis Rodman, while getting his name in the paper, was a pro at rebounding and drawing fouls. Avery, in his best performances, is a pest (already have a few of those). He get most of his notoriety from his mouth, antics, lack of respect for the game, and being a male fashionista. The better question is who the flying hell would want that? Besides a few people who strangely (and I mean more "desperately" than "strangely") believe he would help this team gain some arbitrary amount of "toughness"? He had his chance with this team. He's certainly not Red Wing material.

99% of us would love this guy if he came back to Detroit, including myself.

THIS. everyone loves this kind of player when theyre wearing your sweater. hes the kind of guy that just does his thing no matter what and can be counted on to mix things up when they arent going your way.

One thing that has to be noted is that avery has a pretty good handle on himself. he doesnt take too many boneheaded penalties or take many unnecessary penalties. i like that when the team is rolling he doesnt s*** disturb too much.

Wait, people don't like him cause' he made fun of a teammate with a speech impediment? I always thought hockey players were tough...

The guy's a douchnozzle, but at least he has the balls to say what's on his mind instead of just whispering it to their teammates. I still laugh at being suspended for the "sloppy seconds" comment, and for being able to have a rule created just for you in one day when it takes the leagues years to start cracking down on headshots that end careers of its players.

Shoreline's link is kind of a good one.

"The only thing I would say is obviously we had him as a young player at that time and our concern was his lack of respect for the game, the people in the game and, obviously, he left us," Holland said. "He has worked his way through a few organizations now and it's apparent that he hasn't matured."

"As someone who managed a team to a Stanley Cup, I have no place for him on my hockey club," Feaster told NHL.com. "The only way it works is if we're selfless as a group. Everything he's about is Sean Avery. It's the epitome of selfishness. It has nothing to do with the team perspective at all. I don't know how you win with a guy like Sean Avery."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=396369

...End thread?

Avery's the type of person you hate if he isn't on your team, but could (keyword COULD, not would) love if he were on your roster. His attitude as it showed in the past would've eventually gotten him out of the door in Detroit I think eventually if not for him being traded. He's had plenty of drama queen moments off the ice as well to question his attitude. I'm not one of these ZOMG TOUGHNESS YAY people on here but after years of being in the league, and not really hearing much drama out of him, I'd be open to giving him another opportunity given that he plays a physical style typically, and hoping that he has matured some.