• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#241 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Was @ the Penalty Box for the game...nice to see a comeback win...good game to watch from the bar. I thought we were all right overall...only faceoffs reeked (Modano gets a pass, he's rusty).

LGW!
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#242 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

Just got back from the game:

Few thoughts.

#1 J-Mac played better than I could have dreamed of

#2 Hudler is really starting to come around

#3 Datsyuk is by far one of the top 3 players in the NHL

#4 Salei is terrible

#5 Jon Ericsson has earned the crown of Shin-Guard Assassin from Sammy's departure.

#243 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Hudler results simply in one thing. No Puck For You!

That sounds like it's begging for a Photoshop. Great point about Ysebaert. I think it would be neat if Stevie brought him to TB for a second stint but as a scout.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#244 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

i know our defensive game has been mediocre all season but i don't think it's because we have defensively mediocre players. to me it feels like problems in the d-zone are usually caused by bad passes from d-men to our forwards in the neutral zone creating odd-man rushes. that and horrible rebounds at inopportune times. also, we all know scorers can go cold at any time. that's why it's good to have depth up front. i'm fine with our forwards, both offensively and defensively.

I agree dude. I was being sarcastic about the foolish idea of trading one of our top 6 before the playoffs.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#245 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Just got back from the game:

Few thoughts.

#1 J-Mac played better than I could have dreamed of

#2 Hudler is really starting to come around

#3 Datsyuk is by far one of the top 3 players in the NHL

#4 Salei is terrible

#5 Jon Ericsson has earned the crown of Shin-Guard Assassin from Sammy's departure.

Agreed, I'd rather Kindl permanently have his spot.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#246 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

I agree dude. I was being sarcastic about the foolish idea of trading one of our top 6 before the playoffs.

:lol: ok, my bad. for some reason i read it as "we're awful on D and we should trade a good forward for a d-man." i'll shut up now.

#247 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

With out going back through all this how did Modano look tonight?
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#248 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

Other than the fact that he couldn't win a faceoff to save his soul, he could have done a whole lot worse. But it's understandable, and he's forgiven.

Huddie must have thought "monkey see, monkey do" was a good theory for the shootout. And is it me, or did it look like Joey Mac came out and challenged the shooters a bit? Whatever, it worked.
Posted Image

#249 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

With out going back through all this how did Modano look tonight?

He was pretty much the only guy who had a jump in his step out of the gate (actually Val did too). Modano looked pumped to be back out there. He just needs to get back in sync with his linemates.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#250 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:58 AM

He was pretty much the only guy who had a jump in his step out of the gate (actually Val did too). Modano looked pumped to be back out there. He just needs to get back in sync with his linemates.

Give him a few game and he will get back in sync. Although, his faceoff win percentage could of been better (same goes for the entire team).
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#251 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

Well, what do you expect after being off for three months? I'm sure he'll be working on faceoff techniques for a few days. As to the others, well, you must remember the first rule of musicians - PRACTICE!!!
Posted Image

#252 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:35 AM

Too bad for Drew Miller and the Miller family, eh?

#253 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:46 AM

Huddie must have thought "monkey see, monkey do" was a good theory for the shootout. And is it me, or did it look like Joey Mac came out and challenged the shooters a bit? Whatever, it worked.

Well yeah... if you're going to copy someone in the shootout the smart choice is to choose the guy who goalies are terrified of.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#254 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

Hell, you can't argue with success, now, can you?
Posted Image

#255 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:21 AM

As much as I love Ken and Mickey and Hot Dog Murphy calling the games I was happy to get a game on Center Ice with Rick Jeanerette and Harry Neale. The Buffalo broadcast spent quite a bit of time pointing out how the Wings are a first class organization and what they do to keep it that way. Neale pointed out the biggest difference that sets Detroit apart is that you've had a lot of guys around the dressing room to show younger players and players traded in or free agent signings HOW to play Red Wings hockey and how to be a Red Wing. He specifically mentioned Stevie, Igor, Shanahan, Draper, Lidstrom and Konstantinov as guys who would pull you aside if you strayed a bit. When they talk you listen was his point. A great line of leadership succession other teams don't see.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#256 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:43 AM

I like a lot of different play by play teams out there in the NHL but for me it has very little to do with how much they talk about the Red Wings.

I'm just not big on liking other sportscasters just because they say nice things about a team I love. It's great but what I pay attention to the most is the sound of their voices, how well they use them and how entertaining it is to the ears.

Plus, another huge part of the job is how well they can keep the flow going as they try to explain a play or two. You listen to Mickey Redmond along with some other analysts and you can tell just by either natural talent or experience that he can effectively verbalize his knowledge of the game. It seems like mostly everybody who tries it out has a quality perspective on the game within their minds but a lot of them struggle to communicate it well over live TV.

Another thing I like to look out for every now and again is how good they are at being honest, decent, genuine homers for their home team. Again, not that he's the greatest example but Mickey is definitely not afraid to point out when the Wings did not deserve a break that went their way or to have a flat out fangasm over plays by Datsyuk or Lidstrom or whoever. He does maintain a level of objectivity and that's what makes him very genuine and that's a reason why we like him on here. As a recent and ugly example, the sportscasters that have to cover a game with Matt Cookie in it have a very tough job to do and yet it's those games I think that are a good test for, "How much crazy homerism can I let out?" versus "Something just isn't right and I should speak up about it."

#257 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:46 AM

Hudler needs to stay put on this team, and on the line he's on. Monday can't come soon enough so all this shipping off Hudler business can just be over with. The guy has a ton of potential and i think he can become and maintain a 65-75 point pace every year. Why trade that for an unproven D-man out of ATL? Because were all obsessed with deadline day moves?

#258 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:06 AM

Cannot stand when I read this board and see all the Ericsson bashing. The guy is definitely improving, and playing more physical than ever.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#259 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:20 AM

As much as I love Ken and Mickey and Hot Dog Murphy calling the games I was happy to get a game on Center Ice with Rick Jeanerette and Harry Neale. The Buffalo broadcast spent quite a bit of time pointing out how the Wings are a first class organization and what they do to keep it that way. Neale pointed out the biggest difference that sets Detroit apart is that you've had a lot of guys around the dressing room to show younger players and players traded in or free agent signings HOW to play Red Wings hockey and how to be a Red Wing. He specifically mentioned Stevie, Igor, Shanahan, Draper, Lidstrom and Konstantinov as guys who would pull you aside if you strayed a bit. When they talk you listen was his point. A great line of leadership succession other teams don't see.

I could not stand the Buff Brodcast I almost shot myself.
Posted Image

#260 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

I guess Rick Jenneret is the kind of guy you either love listening to or want to poke your eyes out. I've always liked watching games he's doing. He makes the most boring game seem exciting.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams