• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:16 PM

TSN is reporting that Chicago signed Seabrook to a 29 million dollar extension for 5 years with a cap hit of 5.8 million dollars a year.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=355721

His cap hit this season was 3.5 million dollars. This means that the Blackhawks cap situation will be 2.3 million dollars tighter next year.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

TSN is reporting that Chicago signed Seabrook to a 29 million dollar extension for 5 years with a cap hit of 5.8 million dollars a year.

His cap hit this season was 3.5 million dollars. This means that the Blackhawks cap situation will be 2.3 million dollars tighter next year.

Overpayment.

#3 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Overpayment.

Big, young, RH, shutdown defenseman. Plays in all situations. Hits. Blocks shots. Has performed well in the playoffs. Should still be improving.

I wouldn't call it a bargain, but it's not overpayment either.

#4 Wingnut in WA

Wingnut in WA

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

He now makes more then the former norris trophy winner Mr.Duncan Keith. I think this was a bad contract when you have to resign sharp a year from now and you just added 2.3 mil to your cap next year without really getting much better...

#5 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Probably a fair contract. But holy crap they have a lot of cap room tied up in about half a roster.

#6 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Yeah honestly this is an overpayment, and really makes the Hjalmersson signing look a little stupid.

While Seabrook has been a lot better the past month or so, he was a fat slob to start this season and I can't help but think, like a lot of their players, his numbers and play have been elevated in past seasons by a really strong team around him. Nothing wrong with that, but 5.8 just seems like way too much considering how much they already have tied up in defense.

I wonder if a big trade is coming at some point in the off season to unload a contract if they can.
Posted Image

#7 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

It's okay. They'll just loan him to a Swiss team if this contract becomes a problem next season.

#8 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

He now makes more then the former norris trophy winner Mr.Duncan Keith. I think this was a bad contract when you have to resign sharp a year from now and you just added 2.3 mil to your cap next year without really getting much better...

During the length of this contract Kieth will still be making more money than Seabrook. His cap hit is just bigger because they didn't give him a long ass contract to lower the cap hit.

EDIT: So does this mean that Kopecky and Brouwer are gone come next season?

Edited by dragonballgtz, 27 February 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#9 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

It's okay. They'll just loan him to a Swiss team if this contract becomes a problem next season.

thats crap how teams can bury contracts overseas or in the AHL, yet still spend. this needs to get addressed in the next cba

#10 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

Overpayment.

We're paying Raffi $6 million...
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

At the time, $6m was a bargain price for him. He was a marquee offensive defenseman.

Also, while he may not bring to the ice the defensive skills that Seabrook has, his offensive skills are far greater than those of Seabrook.

#12 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

The Core.
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#13 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

Good thing the cap is to go up 3-4 million next season.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#14 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

I compare Seabrook to Stuart. I think they are both equal quality defencemen at what they do, but Stuart is a much better bargain.

Would you agree Stuart =/= Seabrook?

#15 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Also an overpayment, IMO.
Posted Image

#16 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Big, young, RH, shutdown defenseman. Plays in all situations. Hits. Blocks shots. Has performed well in the playoffs. Should still be improving.

I wouldn't call it a bargain, but it's not overpayment either.

For the Blackhawks, its overpayment. They already dismantled half their team because of the big contracts that have with Toews, Kane, Keith, Campbell and Hossa. Now add Seabrook to that list. The Hawks clearly don't realize that the reason they won the Cup last year was because they had depth.

#17 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

For the Blackhawks, its overpayment. They already dismantled half their team because of the big contracts that have with Toews, Kane, Keith, Campbell and Hossa. Now add Seabrook to that list. The Hawks clearly don't realize that the reason they won the Cup last year was because they had depth.

Campbell is the bad contract there.

With the raise, Chicago is paying around $275k more for Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, and Seabrook than we are for Pav, Hank, Mule, Nick, and Rafi. Both have two long-term deals. With the exception of Hossa, those guys are young and still improving.

The cap is expected to go up, perhaps by a significant amount, and the $4M bonus overage they're paying this year goes away. Even if they can't get rid of Campbell, they are not really bad off. $10M + whatever cap raise to sign 10-12 players, mostly bottom line players who should cost under $1M. If they could somehow dump Campbell, they'd actually be in pretty good shape.

#18 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Man it is gonna suuuuuuuuck when the Wings have to resign nearly all their dmen in a few years.

#19 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

There goes my pipe dreams of us signing him. Oh well...

#20 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

hey we should trade for hossa to help there cap situation

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image