• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2/28 GDT: Red Wings 7 at Kings 4

Rate this topic

The lapse at the end is a drag, but I wouldn't lump it in with their continued defensive struggles. This was a team up by a huge lead at the end of a game. Not a team that started slow and didn't lock it down defensively, which is their usual problem.

Lidstrom played a little under 19 minutes, and Kindl played over 17. It looks like Babs was resting some players and rewarding other guys with more ice time than usual.

And Kindl deserved it last night. I thought he played really well.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Kindl is being eased into the line-up more and more now. Next season Smith should be able to replace Salei. Kenny is doing an excellent job of making sure our prospects develop the right way. :thumbup:

Kindl is being eased into the line-up more and more now. Next season Smith should be able to replace Salei. Kenny is doing an excellent job of making sure our prospects develop the right way. :thumbup:

The idea of half of our defensive core being made up of Ericsson, Kindl, and a rookie Smith absolutely terrifies me, even if Big E and Kindl have been decent this season.

EDIT: On a side note, we're only 3 points behind 1st place in the league now, time to make that push!

Edited by VM1138

Guest Hatethedrake!

The idea of half of our defensive core being made up of Ericsson, Kindl, and a rookie Smith absolutely terrifies me, even if Big E and Kindl have been decent this season.

EDIT: On a side note, we're only 3 points behind 1st place in the league now, time to make that push!

We have to let the young guys play at some point. We can't keep bringing knives to a gunfight and expecting to kill all our enemies. Nick will be back for another season I think and we also have Rafalski, Kronwall and Stuart. As long as Ericsson, Kindl and Smith are our 5-7 guys I see no harm.

Guest Crymson

Just finished watching the game (leeched a torrent this morning) and while I like the offensive outburst...it was still four goals against AGAIN. Geez, guys.

This s*** isn't going to fly in the playoffs - you can't expect to score 5+ goals every night, not when the playoffs are so much tighter defensively. <_<

I've got to assume you're kidding here, Edi.

And yes, building a 7-1 lead and then allowing three goals in the last five minutes WILL work just fine in the playoffs in hockey or in any other sport, and it will work fine in the every regular season game, too. Why? Because it's still a definitive win, and everyone knows what actually happened.

Edited by Crymson

Agree, but at the same time the defense should not be so nonchalant about the matter either. Since we are so close to the the playoffs, one would think their mentality would shift to such.

Fact is, a full 60 minutes is what is going to be needed and why not do it now? If it was earlier in the season, but it is not. Letting up for the last few minutes and the Kings scoring like they did shows other teams we are vulnerable

I don't think it does. It shows that the Wings are smart enough to know that the playoffs are right around the corner and grinding out a sure win in order to keep a 7-1 score in tact isn't as important as staying fresh.

TBH, I just don't think teams see this as the Wings being vulnerable. Every professional on every team at the NHL level knows why those goals were scored and it wasn't because the Wings are vulnerable.

Guest Crymson

TBH, I just don't think teams see this as the Wings being vulnerable. Every professional on every team at the NHL level knows why those goals were scored and it wasn't because the Wings are vulnerable.

I personally think many people here just freak out whenever pure dominance is not achieved and held.

I personally think many people here just freak out whenever pure dominance is not achieved and held.

These threads are nothing but 'Groundhog Day'. Same old same old. 55 minutes of that game was dominant. I do love a solid 60 minutes and hated the way it ended but ffs it doesn't change the W or something. Let's all take a deep breath fans.

Can the Wings just stay on the road please? I like home games but I like it more when they win.

The LA broadcast actually said something interesting about that last night. Apparently everybody takes longer shifts at home, trying to put on a show, but maybe the shifts are just a little too long. I wonder if they'll shorten them up now that they've realized that, and it'll be interesting to see what effect it has.

And about the game, I know I should just chill out, but I just want the team to have a good defensive night so badly. They did have a frickin' awesome 50 minutes, but it's just a bummer to see all that good work go to waste with just a few minutes' lack of focus. I'll quit whining now and go do the happy dance about our 7-goal win, especially since we got shut out last time, but I gotta say, it was so nice seeing that 1 against up there for 50 some minutes.

edit: Also, I'm okay with the idea that the guys shouldn't have to bust their butts when it's not necessary and wear themselves out, but the problem is, when the score is, say, 3-1 or 3-2 and they NEED to play defense, they're having trouble holding on in situations like that, too.

Edited by MulesWillFly93

The LA broadcast actually said something interesting about that last night. Apparently everybody takes longer shifts at home, trying to put on a show, but maybe the shifts are just a little too long. I wonder if they'll shorten them up now that they've realized that, and it'll be interesting to see what effect it has.

And about the game, I know I should just chill out, but I just want the team to have a good defensive night so badly. They did have a frickin' awesome 50 minutes, but it's just a bummer to see all that good work go to waste with just a few minutes' lack of focus. I'll quit whining now and go do the happy dance about our 7-goal win, especially since we got shut out last time, but I gotta say, it was so nice seeing that 1 against up there for 50 some minutes.

edit: Also, I'm okay with the idea that the guys shouldn't have to bust their butts when it's not necessary and wear themselves out, but the problem is, when the score is, say, 3-1 or 3-2 and they NEED to play defense, they're having trouble holding on in situations like that, too.

I certainly hope that wasn't something new the Wings brass found out last night. If so, then a lot of our coaches/coordinators aren't doing their jobs.

I've got to assume you're kidding here, Edi.

And yes, building a 7-1 lead and then allowing three goals in the last five minutes WILL work just fine in the playoffs in hockey or in any other sport, and it will work fine in the every regular season game, too. Why? Because it's still a definitive win, and everyone knows what actually happened.

You're making the assumption that this team would be able to score 7 goals in the defensively-tighter playoffs. Games like the 2010 Game 4 against the Sharks or 2002 Game 7 against the Avs are aberrations. We've seen this team struggle to score more than 2 in the postseason and recently.

When I say this s*** isn't going to fly in the playoffs, I mean our defense and goaltending giving up consistently 3+ goals a night, because I sure as hell don't have confidence in this team being forced to score 4+ goals consistently in the playoffs.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong - I'm happy that we won and were able to score 7 goals. But I also remember what happened the last time this team scored 7 goals - we got shut out the next two games in a row.

Edited by edicius

These threads are nothing but 'Groundhog Day'. Same old same old. 55 minutes of that game was dominant. I do love a solid 60 minutes and hated the way it ended but ffs it doesn't change the W or something. Let's all take a deep breath fans.

Yeah, it is disappointing that a team which frequently struggles to play a complete game plays such a great game for 55 minutes, and then s***s all over themselves in the last 5 minutes. I know a team can be complacent when up by 6 goals, but you still have to play the entire game.

We've been lazy too many times this season and I guarantee you Babcock must have been pissed after the meltdown.

Smith will be in Grand Rapids next season. There's no reason for the Wings to bring him up just to have him or Kindl sit in the press box. He can play 22-24 minutes a game in Grand Rapids and a guy like Meech, Janik, or someone else can play the 7-spot in Detroit. Lidstrom retiring is the only potential hitch in my statement; as that would open up another top-six spot that Smith could potentially earn.

Stoll's always bitching at the ref.

The Kings' feed had a way better picture of Stoll's penalty than the Red Wings'. Wings' didn't even really show it. That's what was so silly about Stoll's response. Or else what he saw was the Wings' shot which showed nothing. :huh: