• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Sens re-sign Chris Phillips

Rate this topic

3 Million per? That seems like a bit of an overpayment.. Maybe for one year but it seems like he is already losing a step now.. I wouldn't wanna be paying him 3 million 3 years from now.

Eh, just think of him as a slightly less talented version of Brad Stuart on a much crappier team, then imagine how a slightly less talented version of Brad Stuart with the sort of numbers you'd expect him to get on a much crappier team might be paid, and then it makes more sense.

Massive over payment for a 33 year old having his worst year of his career with little chance for him to have a better season next season. 3mil for a terrible +/- and less than 10 points this season...ouch. With their line-up next few years he'll be lucky to be best 15 points.

Eh, just think of him as a slightly less talented version of Brad Stuart on a much crappier team, then imagine how a slightly less talented version of Brad Stuart with the sort of numbers you'd expect him to get on a much crappier team might be paid, and then it makes more sense.

I would swap Stuart for Phillips in a millisecond. Phillips is having a down year offensively, but he has still played well defensively as the defensive man on his pairing, playing mostly with liabilities in Gonchar and Karlsson this season. Last season he played opposite Volchenkov, who was far more capable defensively and allowed Phillips to play a more offensive style. Phillips is a definite upgrade on Stuart, and Ottawa keeping him for $3m is a bargain, not an overpayment.

I would swap Stuart for Phillips in a millisecond. Phillips is having a down year offensively, but he has still played well defensively as the defensive man on his pairing, playing mostly with liabilities in Gonchar and Karlsson this season. Last season he played opposite Volchenkov, who was far more capable defensively and allowed Phillips to play a more offensive style. Phillips is a definite upgrade on Stuart, and Ottawa keeping him for $3m is a bargain, not an overpayment.

I disagree; they're both good skaters, both good positionally, both have good defensive hockey sense, but Stuart has slightly more offense and a better first pass as compared to Phillips' bigger shot and better reach. Slight edge to Stuart as an all-around hockey player. Either way, though, the value isn't far apart and Stuart makes a good reference point to Phillips both in role on team and in price.