• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Wings sign Howard to 2-year, $4.5M extension

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think this will help his play, too, having that worry off his mind.

Good point. I concur.

Guest CaliWingsNut

MLive reports 2 years, 4.5million total

Happy we resigned him, I think he has a bright future. Just hope he gets more consistent.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I was hoping for something around $1.8MM to $2.0MM, but I guess its ok. Doesn't seem like any sort of hometown discount applied since I doubt he gets more than $2.25MM in the open market.

Niemi got 2 mil from SJ but his award in arbitration with Chicago was 2.75 million.

Halak got 3.75 mil a year for 4 years from St. Louis as a free agent.

At this point I think 2.25 million is a good deal for Howard. He was second in voting for the Calder so that certainly would have factored in the negotiations (assuming his agent isn't terrible).

Given that Howard was going to be a restricted free-agent this summer I think the arbitration award Niemi got would have been the comparable Holland was thinking about if they ended up going to arbitration with Howard.

So basically our cap just got 1.53 million dollars smaller next season...

The cap should go up again next year, so the cap increase should make up for the difference between what we're paying Ozzie now and what Howard will make next year. As long as the cap keeps going up, I'm alright with paying more for a position as long as its relative.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Last in Save Percentage and Goals Against Average...Should have been 2mil or under, but I'm glad we got him re-signed. If he ever works on his rebounds and consistency, he'll dominate this league. It's just rough to see Joey have better rebound control than Jimmy, but beggars can't be choosers.

Niemi got 2 mil from SJ but his award in arbitration with Chicago was 2.75 million.

Halak got 3.75 mil a year for 4 years from St. Louis as a free agent.

At this point I think 2.25 million is a good deal for Howard. He was second in voting for the Calder so that certainly would have factored in the negotiations (assuming his agent isn't terrible).

Given that Howard was going to be a restricted free-agent this summer I think the arbitration award Niemi got would have been the comparable Holland was thinking about if they ended up going to arbitration with Howard.

Then with Draper/Modano/Lidstrom/Miller/Salei/Ozzie perhaps all leaving and the cap rising 3-4 million we have instantly gained roughly 10 mil and that's not counting the 6mil from lidstrom or any reduced pay he might take next season. All we have left to re-sign is Big E and Eaves and that'll be a half mil increase to each of their salaries. So we'll have 10-16 mil next season to f*** around with. So take your "..." somewhere else ;)