• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Wings sign Howard to 2-year, $4.5M extension

Rate this topic

Awesome job by Holland to get this deal before the playoffs. If the Wing went on a good run, Jimmy could make A lot more coin IMO. If they decide later they want to go in a new direction, this contract makes Howard a very attractive guy.

Guest CaliWingsNut

This could either be a massive steal if Howard gets better or a decent deal if Howard stays pat.

Strange they didn't wait till after the playoffs but hey, it's a good deal. Atta boy Holland.

I could see with things like Nabby, trade rumors, and general distrust of our defense/goaltenders by the fanbase that they wanted to sign him.

It allows him to relax and focus entirely on the playoffs.

Last in Save Percentage and Goals Against Average...Should have been 2mil or under, but I'm glad we got him re-signed. If he ever works on his rebounds and consistency, he'll dominate this league. It's just rough to see Joey have better rebound control than Jimmy, but beggars can't be choosers.

Where do you come up with this? I'll agree he hasn't been as stellar in those categories, but he's certainly not last in the league (even amongst starters).

i too find it strange they wouldn't wait until after the playoffs, sign and trade in the works? cap hit is very reasonable.

While our defense has left a lot to be desired, they've always seemed to ramp things up down the stretch and with the depth up front, this team has a great chance of going deep. If the Wings make it to the Conference or Stanley Cup Finals, Jimmy's cap-hit likely goes up. That's why Kenny didn't wait.

Where do you come up with this? I'll agree he's hasn't been as stellar in those categories, but he's certainly not last in the league (even amongst starters).

Sorry, i misspoke. 31st in GAA or 38th if you include goalies who have started at least 15 games and 29th in S% or 33rd if you count goalies who have started at least 15 games. Where do you think I come up with this is the real question, because these are facts.

Sorry, i misspoke. 31st in GAA or 38th if you include goalies who have started at least 15 games and 29th in S% or 33rd if you count goalies who have started at least 15 games. Where do you think I come up with this is the real question, because these are facts.

Then I wouldn't have refuted your original post. The point is, people will read something like that and take it as fact...which we both know it isn't.

Again, those numbers aren't great by any means but with how s***ty our team defense has been I'm willing give some leeway on those categories this season. Not a ton, but some...and that's why he got $2.25 million instead of $2.75 or $1.75.

Then I wouldn't have refuted your original post. The point is, people will read something like that and take it as fact...which we both know it isn't.

Again, those numbers aren't great by any means but with how s***ty our team defense has been I'm willing give some leeway on those categories this season. Not a ton, but some...and that's why he got $2.25 million instead of $2.75 or $1.75.

31st and 29th are close enough to dead last as it gets and if you include back ups who play a hefty amount of games then he is below 31st in those statistical catagories, which would put him outside the "not last" category. You can refute it all you want, but stats don't lie. They may be misleading as you've alluded to...but they don't lie. Howie is last in terms of starting goaltenders and even behind a handful of back up goalies.

Even if he turns around and is never an NHL caliber goalie again, the Wings aren't tied to some Huet-style albatross, either in term or cap hit. It's low-risk, high-reward, and a solid deal for all parties involved.

And with the cap continuing to rise and if the NHL and HBO strike another deal i can see the cap going up another 3mil next season and this deal not looking bad at all.

31st and 29th are close enough to dead last as it gets and if you include back ups who play a hefty amount of games then he is below 31st in those statistical catagories, which would put him outside the "not last" category. You can refute it all you want, but stats don't lie. They may be misleading as you've alluded to...but they don't lie. Howie is last in terms of starting goaltenders and even behind a handful of back up goalies.

No he's not.

Jimmy Howard: 47GP, 2.79 GAA, 0.908 SV%

Steve Mason: 40GP, 2.97 GAA, 0.905 SV%

Brian Elliot: 45GP, 3.26 GAA, 0.893 SV%

Nikolai Khabibulin: 39GP, 3.33 GAA, 0.893 SV%

Note: Both Martin Brodeur & Jaroslav Halak have lower SV%'s and Jimmy's tied with Kiprusoff

Is this something Howard should be impressed with: absolutely not, but the fact is he's not last as you stated.

....And now you're just putting words in my mouth. Never once did I claim stats lie. I said "I'm willing to give some leeway...not alot, but some." How does that translate to me claiming stats lie? On top of that, there are 4-5 regular starters that have lower numbers in one or both of the categories you mentioned.

Bottom line, all I said was that he wasn't last in the league in those respective categories. If you're gonna get bent out of shape on someone calling you out for making a false statement, than don't make one in the first place.

This could either be a massive steal if Howard gets better or a decent deal if Howard stays pat.

Strange they didn't wait till after the playoffs but hey, it's a good deal. Atta boy Holland.

My bet is Kenny and Co. are hoping getting this distraction out of Howard's way will help his consistency.

I like this deal a lot. It is fair for the goalie with the most wins in the NHL. Like another poster said, check out what others are getting and you'll see that this is a fair deal. For the past 2 yrs, he's been a steal at like $750K. He's young, he can steal the occasional game. Sure, he can work on consistency but at this age, not bad, not bad at all. Jimmy, great to have you for the next couple of years! The only thing that could be better would be one of those Holland patented deal - 22.5 mill for 10 years for Jimmy Howard :lol: .

No he's not.

Jimmy Howard: 47GP, 2.79 GAA, 0.908 SV%

Steve Mason: 40GP, 2.97 GAA, 0.905 SV%

Brian Elliot: 45GP, 3.26 GAA, 0.893 SV%

Nikolai Khabibulin: 39GP, 3.33 GAA, 0.893 SV%

Note: He's tied with Kiprusoff in SV%

Is this something Howard should be impressed with: absolutely not, but as you said....stats don't lie.

Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Never once did I claim stats lie. I said I'm willing to give some leeway...not alot, but some. How does that translate to me claiming stats lie? On top of that, there are 4-5 regular starters that have lower numbers in one or both of the categories you mentioned.

Bottom line, all I said was that he wasn't last in the league in those respective categories. If you're gonna get bent out of shape on someone calling you out for making a false statement, than don't make one in the first place.

Don't worry, I'm not getting bent out of shape :)