Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

THERE!!!!! Now no one can say we did not do "something" on deadline day! :lol:

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

All this said and being cynical about it, let's hope this will help his confidence again. We all know how important that is. Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

So basically our cap just got 1.53 million dollars smaller next season...

The cap should go up again next year, so the cap increase should make up for the difference between what we're paying Ozzie now and what Howard will make next year. As long as the cap keeps going up, I'm alright with paying more for a position as long as its relative.

Edited by xtrememachine1, 28 February 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#24 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

Last in Save Percentage and Goals Against Average...Should have been 2mil or under, but I'm glad we got him re-signed. If he ever works on his rebounds and consistency, he'll dominate this league. It's just rough to see Joey have better rebound control than Jimmy, but beggars can't be choosers.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#25 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Niemi got 2 mil from SJ but his award in arbitration with Chicago was 2.75 million.

Halak got 3.75 mil a year for 4 years from St. Louis as a free agent.

At this point I think 2.25 million is a good deal for Howard. He was second in voting for the Calder so that certainly would have factored in the negotiations (assuming his agent isn't terrible).

Given that Howard was going to be a restricted free-agent this summer I think the arbitration award Niemi got would have been the comparable Holland was thinking about if they ended up going to arbitration with Howard.

So basically our cap just got 1.53 million dollars smaller next season...

Then with Draper/Modano/Lidstrom/Miller/Salei/Ozzie perhaps all leaving and the cap rising 3-4 million we have instantly gained roughly 10 mil and that's not counting the 6mil from lidstrom or any reduced pay he might take next season. All we have left to re-sign is Big E and Eaves and that'll be a half mil increase to each of their salaries. So we'll have 10-16 mil next season to f*** around with. So take your "..." somewhere else ;)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#26 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Awesome job by Holland to get this deal before the playoffs. If the Wing went on a good run, Jimmy could make A lot more coin IMO. If they decide later they want to go in a new direction, this contract makes Howard a very attractive guy.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#27 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

This could either be a massive steal if Howard gets better or a decent deal if Howard stays pat.

Strange they didn't wait till after the playoffs but hey, it's a good deal. Atta boy Holland.

I could see with things like Nabby, trade rumors, and general distrust of our defense/goaltenders by the fanbase that they wanted to sign him.

It allows him to relax and focus entirely on the playoffs.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#28 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

Last in Save Percentage and Goals Against Average...Should have been 2mil or under, but I'm glad we got him re-signed. If he ever works on his rebounds and consistency, he'll dominate this league. It's just rough to see Joey have better rebound control than Jimmy, but beggars can't be choosers.

Where do you come up with this? I'll agree he hasn't been as stellar in those categories, but he's certainly not last in the league (even amongst starters).
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#29 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

i too find it strange they wouldn't wait until after the playoffs, sign and trade in the works? cap hit is very reasonable.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#30 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

Good news.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#31 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

i too find it strange they wouldn't wait until after the playoffs, sign and trade in the works? cap hit is very reasonable.

While our defense has left a lot to be desired, they've always seemed to ramp things up down the stretch and with the depth up front, this team has a great chance of going deep. If the Wings make it to the Conference or Stanley Cup Finals, Jimmy's cap-hit likely goes up. That's why Kenny didn't wait.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#32 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

sign and trade in the works? cap hit is very reasonable.

im going to put the percentage of that at about 0.000000000000001%.
I dont think Holland is making any NHL level moves today.

#33 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

Im going to buy my Howard jersey tomorrow.
To whom much is given, much is expected

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

While our defense has left a lot to be desired, they've always seemed to ramp things up down the stretch and with the depth up front, this team has a great chance of going deep. If the Wings make it to the Conference or Stanley Cup Finals, Jimmy's cap-hit likely goes up. That's why Kenny didn't wait.

Exactly, and I think Holland's philosophy since the cap is to spend a "reasonable" amount on a better than average netminder, and then spend a bit more on the defense, and forwards.

Edited by F.Michael, 28 February 2011 - 12:49 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#35 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Where do you come up with this? I'll agree he's hasn't been as stellar in those categories, but he's certainly not last in the league (even amongst starters).

Sorry, i misspoke. 31st in GAA or 38th if you include goalies who have started at least 15 games and 29th in S% or 33rd if you count goalies who have started at least 15 games. Where do you think I come up with this is the real question, because these are facts.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#36 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

Moneys good. Now Jimmy has to come through for the Wings.

#NOMOREKINDL

#37 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

Sorry, i misspoke. 31st in GAA or 38th if you include goalies who have started at least 15 games and 29th in S% or 33rd if you count goalies who have started at least 15 games. Where do you think I come up with this is the real question, because these are facts.

Then I wouldn't have refuted your original post. The point is, people will read something like that and take it as fact...which we both know it isn't.

Again, those numbers aren't great by any means but with how s***ty our team defense has been I'm willing give some leeway on those categories this season. Not a ton, but some...and that's why he got $2.25 million instead of $2.75 or $1.75.

#38 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Then I wouldn't have refuted your original post. The point is, people will read something like that and take it as fact...which we both know it isn't.

Again, those numbers aren't great by any means but with how s***ty our team defense has been I'm willing give some leeway on those categories this season. Not a ton, but some...and that's why he got $2.25 million instead of $2.75 or $1.75.

31st and 29th are close enough to dead last as it gets and if you include back ups who play a hefty amount of games then he is below 31st in those statistical catagories, which would put him outside the "not last" category. You can refute it all you want, but stats don't lie. They may be misleading as you've alluded to...but they don't lie. Howie is last in terms of starting goaltenders and even behind a handful of back up goalies.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#39 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

WAY too much for inconsistent and average goalie like Howard.

#40 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

Howard and Hudler for Price

In memory Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.