I've decided-Datsyuk for Captain

Rate this topic

When Lidstrom and Draper's time is up I would personally like to see

Zetterberg "C"

Datsyuk "A"

Rafalski "A"

Holmstrom "A"

any complaints?

I don't think Rafi or Homer are good candidates based on their career length, they will be retiring not so long after Lids. Z, Dats, Kron, and Flip would be my guess.

I don't think Rafi or Homer are good candidates based on their career length, they will be retiring not so long after Lids. Z, Dats, Kron, and Flip would be my guess.

My personal opinion would be their career lengths argue towards why they should be captains of the team, not why they shouldn't. Sure it'd be short term, but you can't argue they both aren't leaders. Their veteran status' and skill both scream assistant captain to me, much more so than Val and Kron. They are heck of guys and will have their day if they stay with the team.

I guess it just comes down to what people think is more important in terms of being a captain.

Its a mixture between leadership,skill,seniority. I think it should be a mixture between all 3 when looking to sew the letters on a jersey.

Stuart should get an A. He gave a bunch of interviews earlier this season and really sounded like a captain. He was articulate, said the right things and seemed to have some sway over his teammates.

I'd like to see (whenever Lidstrom does retire, probably another year or two in the future) Zetterberg with the C, Datsyuk and Stuart with the A.

That is, assuming Draper is retired.

Stop nailing the OP for the idea of the best 2-way forward in the entire world to be the Captain. All that said, we know that Hank is the next Captain of the best sports franchise in the universe. Someone go ahead and "attack" my username hehe.gif we all know the truth. No more telling of a picture than the one of Stevie, Kenny, and Hank in 1 picture. I think they already decided a few years back especially in the Cup run year of '08. But hey, I am a double threat guy with user name and avatar! OH NOOZZZZZZ scared.gif

I think the Mule should get an "A" before Flip. But I definitely agree to Kronwall getting one in the future.

Near future Assistant will be Pav obviously and Kronner. Not too many other candidates for it imo. Mule could be a fill-in but even then I'd say give it to Flip. This is actually a good discussion, real surprised at the backlash this received.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Love it... People putting all sorta words in my mouth. I'm "bashing the OP", I'm against "the best 2-way forward in the entire world to be the Captain"... HA.

I was simply pointing out that the OP, with a name and avatar based on Datsyuk, came up with the brain straining idea that Datsyuk could be the next captain. < sarcasm> I'm guessing it was a really hard choice on his part. His extremely long opening post with extended explanation of his opinion and how he arrived at it really gave the reader a lot to consider and debate about. < /sarcasm> His responses make it sound like I was crucifying him. He really hasn't done anything for me to truly be annoyed at him. So maybe you all should take things a bit less personally.

As to the subject of the thread... I wouldn't be heartbroken if Dats got the "C". However, short of catastrophic injury, there's no question that Z will be next captain. It's the reason why he has the longest contract in team history, and used to sit next to Yzerman in the locker room.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Where the media is concerned, I don't think it's a good idea because his English isn't that good. I mean, it's not like he couldn't get better, but to me it seems like it'd be a big stress on you having to face the media every game and getting frustrated because you don't know exactly what you want to say. I'd rather he just focused on playing his awesome game and didn't have to worry about that. Also, from all outward appearances, Zetterberg is more of a "natural" leader. That's not to say that Datsyuk couldn't be a good leader - I mean, Yzerman wasn't the most outgoing guy ever, and we know how that turned out - but Z's kinda already been trained for it and is used to talking to the media a lot. It's hard to say what goes on in the locker room, of course, but since he is being primed for the job, I imagine Babs & co. see those intangible things everybody's talking about present in Z, and they know he's going to do a good job. That's enough for me. I mean, if they thought Datsyuk would make a great captain, I'd be fine with that, too, but I am a little glad they're just going to let him do his thing and not have to worry about everybody else, too.

It's Z. Think about it, his contract, his English is better than Dats, he is just as good.

:stop: zetterberg can't be 'just as good' as datsyuk since datsyuk is the best player in the world. i mean, i love Z but no one can seriously argue he is a better player (or just as good) than pavel.

:stop: zetterberg can't be 'just as good' as datsyuk since datsyuk is the best player in the world. i mean, i love Z but no one can seriously argue he is a better player (or just as good) than pavel.

Why? Because you said so?

Logic an lack of emotion actually makes for quite an evenly-matched debate.

Zetterberg is good. He is nowhere near Datysuk good.

In what facet of the game?

Datsyuk is superior to Z in certain areas. Zetterberg is superior to Dats in certain areas.

Why? Because you said so?

Logic an lack of emotion actually makes for quite a fair debate.

Datsyuk is superior to Z in certain areas. Zetterberg is superior to Dats in certain areas.

Datsyuk is a better back checker. better deker. has a better wrist shot. one of the best passers ive ever seen. He is a faster skater. he carries the puck in the neutral zone better. oh and he fights :rolleyes:

Z does have a pretty good backhand though.

Datsyuk is a better back checker. better deker. has a better wrist shot. one of the best passers ive ever seen. He is a faster skater. he carries the puck in the neutral zone better. oh and he fights :rolleyes:

Z does have a pretty good backhand though.

Datsyuk is a better back checker: No he's not

better deker: Agreed

has a better wrist shot: Debatable

one of the best passers ive ever seen: Becoming more debatable given Z's showings these past couple years

He is a faster skater: Show me proof.

he carries the puck in the neutral zone better: Agreed

My Turn:

Z is given the tougher assignments and is a better all-around defender. Z is a better back-checker. Z's off-ice commitment has been noted as one of best in the league. Z has a better slap-shot and backhander.

All that being said, I do feel Dats is the biggest *all-around* talent in the league (more-so than Z). What I mean by that is he's close to Z in some categories (although still slightly behind) but the areas he excels in tend to be leaps and bounds above most any player in the world.

Its not necessarily the most skilled player that would make the best captain, but rather a player who can best lead his team both by example and through verbal motivation in any situation. I don't know that any of us can advocate one player over another in this regard.

On ice talent: I'll take Pavs as the best on the team and among the best in the league.

Leadership both on and off the ice: who the hell knows?

-shooting:

pavel has a shooting % of 18.3% this season and a career 14.8%

Z has a shooting % of 7% this season and a career 11.2%

Z currently has 7 more career goals than pavel while taking 529 more shots

Z has missed the net 99 times in 63 games this season

pavel has missed the net 40 times in 44 games this season

bottom line: watching them play, you can see pavel has a quicker, faster, and more accurate shot than Z, and this shows up in the stats as well

-passing:

i don't think there should be much discussion about this. you don't need stats to know pavel is a world class distributor of the puck. Z is a good passer but he is not on the same level as pavel.

-skating:

no one in the league can stop on a dime like pavel can, and that's with the puck btw. pavel is also faster than Z.

-defence:

pavel has 63 takeaways, 45 hits, and 15 blocked shots in 44 games

Z has 43 takeaways, 30 hits, and 15 blocked shots in 63 games

pavel has 3 selke trophies

-other:

pavel is the best deker and stickhandler in the world

pavel's faceoff % this season is 56.3%

Z's faceoff % is 52.2%

datsyuk has won 4 lady byng trophies

-playoffs:

overall, datsyuk has 110 games, 28 goals, 48 assists, 76 points

Z has 97 games, 46 goals, 45 assists, 91 points

however, datsyuk's first playoff was in '02 when he was a rookie. in that year he had 3 goals and 3 assists in 21 games, and the following year we played giguere and no one had a good playoff that year.

so, taking a look at the post-lockout playoff stats:

pavel has 25 goals and 39 assists in 85 games played

Z has 43 goals and 43 assists in 81 games played

Z has been more productive in the playoffs (on the stat sheet) and has won a conn smythe

besides all of the stats and accomplishments, just watching datsyuk play is enough to see that not only is he better than Z, he is one of those special players that comes along once every 20 years or so. he is currently the best player in the whole world, nevermind the red wings locker room.

My Turn:

... Z's off-ice commitment has been noted as one of best in the league. Z has a better slap-shot and backhander.

the players in the locker room have noted pavel as being one of the most committed players they have ever seen. his off-ice work ethic is second to none.

Z has a better slap-shot? between the two of them they have take one career slap-shot :hehe:

-passing:

i don't think there should be much discussion about this. you don't need stats to know pavel is a world class distributor of the puck. Z is a good passer but he is not on the same level as pavel.

While I tend to agree, Z's assist column has become scary-good (especially this year) and just look at how the numbers continue to rise every season. Now, if he gets on a line with someone that can distribute the puck his goal scoring will return and he'll be up there with anyone in the world points-wise.

-skating:

no one in the league can stop on a dime like pavel can, and that's with the puck btw. pavel is also faster than Z.

For the second time in this thread, show me proof.

-defence:

pavel has 63 takeaways, 45 hits, and 15 blocked shots in 44 games

Z has 43 takeaways, 30 hits, and 15 blocked shots in 63 games

pavel has 3 selke trophies

While Pavel is one of the best defenders in the world, he's won those Selke's over Z because the committee seems to put a premium on takeaways. Z consistently gets the tougher defensive assignments from Babs.

-other:

datsyuk has won 4 lady byng trophies

Haha! Really? Are seriously using this in your argument?

-playoffs:

overall, datsyuk has 110 games, 28 goals, 48 assists, 76 points

Z has 97 games, 46 goals, 45 assists, 91 points

however, datsyuk's first playoff was in '02 when he was a rookie. in that year he had 3 goals and 3 assists in 21 games, and the following year we played giguere and no one had a good playoff that year.

so, taking a look at the post-lockout playoff stats:

pavel has 25 goals and 39 assists in 85 games played

Z has 43 goals and 43 assists in 81 games played

Z has been more productive in the playoffs (on the stat sheet) and has won a conn smythe

besides all of the stats and accomplishments, just watching datsyuk play is enough to see that not only is he better than Z, he is one of those special players that comes along once every 20 years or so. he is currently the best player in the whole world, nevermind the red wings locker room.

So what you're saying is that Z is more effective in the playoffs which is the first priority in Detroit. Gotcha! :sly:

Sidenote: You can't remove stats from part of his playoff career to make a case for someone. You don't see me removing certain stats from Z that were less than Pavs'.

Lastly, see my arguments above. I'm not about to repeat the areas Z excels in for sake of bandwidth.