• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Dats wear the "C". I wouldn't mind at all even though big Z is gonna have it.

#22 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yes both Hank & Pavs deserve the C. You know how you solve it? Give it to Huds. Happiest...captain...ever... :hehe:

But seriously, it's pretty obvious that Hank is the captain in waiting so I really see no use in debating it.

Edited by ogreslayer, 01 March 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#23 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Yes both Hank & Pavs deserve the C. You know how you solve it? Give it to Huds. Happiest...captain...ever... :hehe:

But seriously, it's pretty obvious that Hank is the captain in waiting so I really see no use in debating it.

I disagree, if you want to see the happiest captain ever give it to Eaves.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#24 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

datsyuk wouldn't want it.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#25 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

datsyuk wouldn't want it.

He'd make Kenny pay him 5 bucks which may put us in Cap Hell.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#26 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

When Lidstrom and Draper's time is up I would personally like to see

Zetterberg "C"
Datsyuk "A"
Rafalski "A"
Holmstrom "A"

any complaints?
Posted Image

#27 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

When Lidstrom and Draper's time is up I would personally like to see

Zetterberg "C"
Datsyuk "A"
Rafalski "A"
Holmstrom "A"

any complaints?

I don't think Rafi or Homer are good candidates based on their career length, they will be retiring not so long after Lids. Z, Dats, Kron, and Flip would be my guess.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#28 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

I don't think Rafi or Homer are good candidates based on their career length, they will be retiring not so long after Lids. Z, Dats, Kron, and Flip would be my guess.

My personal opinion would be their career lengths argue towards why they should be captains of the team, not why they shouldn't. Sure it'd be short term, but you can't argue they both aren't leaders. Their veteran status' and skill both scream assistant captain to me, much more so than Val and Kron. They are heck of guys and will have their day if they stay with the team.

I guess it just comes down to what people think is more important in terms of being a captain.

Its a mixture between leadership,skill,seniority. I think it should be a mixture between all 3 when looking to sew the letters on a jersey.

Posted Image

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Stuart should get an A. He gave a bunch of interviews earlier this season and really sounded like a captain. He was articulate, said the right things and seemed to have some sway over his teammates.

I'd like to see (whenever Lidstrom does retire, probably another year or two in the future) Zetterberg with the C, Datsyuk and Stuart with the A.

That is, assuming Draper is retired.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Stop nailing the OP for the idea of the best 2-way forward in the entire world to be the Captain. All that said, we know that Hank is the next Captain of the best sports franchise in the universe. Someone go ahead and "attack" my username Posted Image we all know the truth. No more telling of a picture than the one of Stevie, Kenny, and Hank in 1 picture. I think they already decided a few years back especially in the Cup run year of '08. But hey, I am a double threat guy with user name and avatar! OH NOOZZZZZZ Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#31 drumlife19

drumlife19

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

I think the Mule should get an "A" before Flip. But I definitely agree to Kronwall getting one in the future.
"When you have your skate on their throat, don't take it off... You play until the end..."

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Near future Assistant will be Pav obviously and Kronner. Not too many other candidates for it imo. Mule could be a fill-in but even then I'd say give it to Flip. This is actually a good discussion, real surprised at the backlash this received.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#33 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

isnt being able to speak more than 10 words of english a prerequisite?

#34 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

Love it... People putting all sorta words in my mouth. I'm "bashing the OP", I'm against "the best 2-way forward in the entire world to be the Captain"... HA.

I was simply pointing out that the OP, with a name and avatar based on Datsyuk, came up with the brain straining idea that Datsyuk could be the next captain. < sarcasm> I'm guessing it was a really hard choice on his part. His extremely long opening post with extended explanation of his opinion and how he arrived at it really gave the reader a lot to consider and debate about. < /sarcasm> His responses make it sound like I was crucifying him. He really hasn't done anything for me to truly be annoyed at him. So maybe you all should take things a bit less personally.

As to the subject of the thread... I wouldn't be heartbroken if Dats got the "C". However, short of catastrophic injury, there's no question that Z will be next captain. It's the reason why he has the longest contract in team history, and used to sit next to Yzerman in the locker room.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 01 March 2011 - 03:51 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#35 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Zetterberg singlehandedly handed the most hated player of LGW his own ass.

There should be no question who should get it here.

Posted Image

#36 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

I can just imagine game 7 of the stanley cup final 2nd intermission down 2 to 1. "Ok team, we must win good. Play full acceleration. I trust my eyes to Dr. Ramani"

#37 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Where the media is concerned, I don't think it's a good idea because his English isn't that good. I mean, it's not like he couldn't get better, but to me it seems like it'd be a big stress on you having to face the media every game and getting frustrated because you don't know exactly what you want to say. I'd rather he just focused on playing his awesome game and didn't have to worry about that. Also, from all outward appearances, Zetterberg is more of a "natural" leader. That's not to say that Datsyuk couldn't be a good leader - I mean, Yzerman wasn't the most outgoing guy ever, and we know how that turned out - but Z's kinda already been trained for it and is used to talking to the media a lot. It's hard to say what goes on in the locker room, of course, but since he is being primed for the job, I imagine Babs & co. see those intangible things everybody's talking about present in Z, and they know he's going to do a good job. That's enough for me. I mean, if they thought Datsyuk would make a great captain, I'd be fine with that, too, but I am a little glad they're just going to let him do his thing and not have to worry about everybody else, too.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#38 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:01 PM

It's Z. Think about it, his contract, his English is better than Dats, he is just as good.

:stop: zetterberg can't be 'just as good' as datsyuk since datsyuk is the best player in the world. i mean, i love Z but no one can seriously argue he is a better player (or just as good) than pavel.

#39 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

:stop: zetterberg can't be 'just as good' as datsyuk since datsyuk is the best player in the world. i mean, i love Z but no one can seriously argue he is a better player (or just as good) than pavel.

Zetterberg is good. He is nowhere near Datysuk good.

#40 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

Why? Because you said so?

Logic an lack of emotion actually makes for quite an evenly-matched debate.

Zetterberg is good. He is nowhere near Datysuk good.

In what facet of the game?

Datsyuk is superior to Z in certain areas. Zetterberg is superior to Dats in certain areas.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).