107 replies to this topic

#61 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

I wouldn't mind if Pavel gets it.

He's more visible every game than Zetterberg has been. Hasn't taken him long to dominate since coming back from injury either. It's like he never left.

I guess Zetterberg must be doing something in the lockerroom better than Datsyuk is, because he's been all but named as the future captain. I don't think it should be an open and shut case. Maybe they could be co-captains or alternate. I normally don't like that, but in this case it would be fine. They are the Euro twins after all.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 01 March 2011 - 07:27 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#62 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

Zetterberg - C
Datsyuk - A
Stuart - A
Rafalski - A

Posted Image

#63 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Z just hasnt been all that great.

#64 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

Who will get an "A" first. Filppula or Franzen? We all know after Lidstrom retires the captaincy will probably look like this:

C/A: Zetterberg
C/A: Datsyuk
A: Rafalski

And my dark horse if the Wings are rotating:
A: Cleary.

According to a statistic I just made up, it's a 75% certainty that Zetterberg will be our next captain.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#65 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

Why does the best player have to be captain? Z is having a good year and I think he should be the next captain. Getting the C is about leadership. None of us know who the lockeroom leaders are. Also, the captain has many media responsibilities that Z seems better prepared for than Dats.

#66 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

Who will get an "A" first. Filppula or Franzen? We all know after Lidstrom retires the captaincy will probably look like this:

C/A: Zetterberg
C/A: Datsyuk

And my dark horse if the Wings are rotating:
A: Cleary.

According to a statistic I just made up, it's a 75% certainty that Zetterberg will be our next captain.

Honestly, that isn't even a dark horse.... I see Cleary getting the A over Filpula and definitely over Franzen. Franzen is too lazy to be a captain. Lets not forget Helm either.

Probably going to be:

C: Zetterberg
A: Datsyuk
A: Kronwall

others:
A: Cleary

#67 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

I can't believe you have turned this into a competition between these two amazing players. It's like comparing apples and oranges. You need to just appreciate them both for what they have and do, and leave it at that.
Posted Image

#68 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Honestly, that isn't even a dark horse.... I see Cleary getting the A over Filpula and definitely over Franzen. Franzen is too lazy to be a captain. Lets not forget Helm either.

Probably going to be:

others:

How is it "not even a dark horse"? Most people I've seen have been putting Stuart and Kronwall over Cleary, even yourself put Kronwall over Cleary. That's a dark horse.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#69 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

All fans should be so lucky to have this kind of problem. My obvious vote is for Zetterberg, but it wouldn't bother me too much if Datsyuk got it. I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I recall Datsyuk saying that he would like to finish his career in Russia. I don't know if that means after this contract, or if he'd sign on longer. I do know that Zetterberg is going to be here as long as he physically can, and he's a much more "media friendly" player.

I think comparing the skills and stats of both players isn't a true indication of who should be the captain. Each guy is supremely skilled in his own way, and when it comes down to it we're lucky to have both of them.

#70 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

How is it "not even a dark horse"? Most people I've seen have been putting Stuart and Kronwall over Cleary, even yourself put Kronwall over Cleary. That's a dark horse.

i know multiple people who have been around cleary and said he was a prick.

#71 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

i know multiple people who have been around cleary and said he was a prick.

They have been around him eh? Well damn, I don't want him being any type of assistant after this award-winning reporting. Hell, trade him.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#72 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

If Lilja was still here, this would all be easily resolved, because he looks like Leonidas from the film 300.

C: Lilja
A: Zetterberg
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#73 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

Pavel is just to impish for the C. It would be like giving it to Homer.

Or Draper.

It's not like Hank is some run-of-the-mill forward in his own right. No, he's clearly nowhere near as flashy as Pavel, but Zetterberg is top ten in scoring and I personally believe he doesn't get near enough recognition for the Selke. The best player in the NHL can't escape Henrik's shadow every time they play.

That's because you can never escape your own shadow.

Yes both Hank & Pavs deserve the C. You know how you solve it? Give it to Huds. Happiest...captain...ever... :hehe:

We would see the clucking turn into a secret on-ice language used for play-calling.

When Lidstrom and Draper's time is up I would personally like to see

Zetterberg "C"
Datsyuk "A"
Rafalski "A"
Holmstrom "A"

any complaints?

Rafalski and Holmstrom are both almost certainly retiring after next year. Which means that this is a setup assuming Draper and Lidstrom call it this summer. I personally would go with this:

Filppula and Stuart are other names I have heard mentioned. Filppula is an interesting one; I wonder at his chances of getting a letter simply because he's a forward and Z and Dats already have them. Stuart could be argued to replace Kronwall in my list, but I would rather charge Kronwall with leadership and say "It's your ship on defense, make it work." to Kronwall because I doubt Holland wants to keep Stuart at that price or higher, but most teams pay a premium to pick up a veteran all-around defenseman. Campbell's contract is proof of that.

:stop: zetterberg can't be 'just as good' as datsyuk since datsyuk is the best player in the world. i mean, i love Z but no one can seriously argue he is a better player (or just as good) than pavel.

Datsyuk is great, but Zetterberg is the better player. Dats is flashy and gets more attention from fans and media, but Z is the more versatile player and is capable of filling any role. Z is the one who can completely neutralize any player in the league, including Pavel. Dats is a great player, but he needs to be put in that position of scoring center for his game to thrive while the other team tries to stop him, and he prevents their offensive attempts against his line. Z's play, on the other hand, thrives no matter where you put him. You could tell him to shadow Crosby, and it will turn into Crosby trying to stop Zetterberg.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#74 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

Brett Lebda should be Captain.

Yeah that's right I said it.

#75 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

Datsyuk seems like the sort of guy that would both appreciate and play better in a supporting leadership role. He leads by example and is quite humble, but he doesn't have that same force of personality that seems present in guys like Lidstrom or Zetterberg. He's the sort of guy you'd want coaching your kids; he's more of an instructor type than a leader type. I'm sure he'd make a fine leader if necessary, but he always seems the sort to defer when there's someone that he regards as more capable around (such as interviews with Z and him).
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#76 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

When it comes to dealing with the media, I feel like Pash enjoys speaking to them a HELL of a lot more than Hank does. I don't know why but I always get the impression that in his head Hank is thinking, "God I hate this. God I hate this sof****** much. I just wanna go home." Not saying I don't like Hank for that. I don't blame him, really.

#77 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

Love it... People putting all sorta words in my mouth. I'm "bashing the OP", I'm against "the best 2-way forward in the entire world to be the Captain"... HA.

I was simply pointing out that the OP, with a name and avatar based on Datsyuk, came up with the brain straining idea that Datsyuk could be the next captain. < sarcasm> I'm guessing it was a really hard choice on his part. His extremely long opening post with extended explanation of his opinion and how he arrived at it really gave the reader a lot to consider and debate about. < /sarcasm> His responses make it sound like I was crucifying him. He really hasn't done anything for me to truly be annoyed at him. So maybe you all should take things a bit less personally.

As to the subject of the thread... I wouldn't be heartbroken if Dats got the "C". However, short of catastrophic injury, there's no question that Z will be next captain. It's the reason why he has the longest contract in team history, and used to sit next to Yzerman in the locker room.

I can just tell... your a **** arnt you?
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#78 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:31 AM

It will most likely be Hank getting the C but Pavs gets the first A with Kronwall, Cleary, Franzen, or even Helm getting the second A
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#79 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

Say what now?

Posted Image

#80 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS