• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mabuhay Red Wings

Wings Playoff/Cup chances?

Rate this topic

04-05- No season. Wings somehow don't make it.

05-06- Thought sure as hell they were going to make some noise. Damn Roloson.

06-07- Thought they had a good shot.

07-08- I remember thinking about 10 games in it was destined to happen. It was.

08-09- Thought it would work again, absent a 30+ second uncalled too many men, it would have.

09-10- Thankful to make it out of the first round after so many injuries.

10-11- Need to tighten up defensively, give Ozzie and Howard a decent rotation. Still could go very deep.

I'll take the last decade.

1999: Cup is ours with Chris Chelios, Wendel Clark and Ulf Samuelsson joining the team. Up 2-0 against the dives and going home, we have no chance of losing. :hehe:

2000: We're not as good as Colorado and Dallas.

2001: Good chance to win with Colorado being our only real threat.

2002: Please don't choke. We're too good not to win.

2003: Cup is ours. Roster is too talented to lose. Second straight Cup win very likely.

2004: Cup is ours. Another Presidents trophy and the best team heading into the playoffs.

2006: Same is 2004.

2007: Please get out of the 1st round.

2008: Good team but not destined to win the Cup.

2009: Favorites to win the Cup as long as we're hungry enough.

2010: Not getting out of the 2nd round.

2011: Philly and Vancouver are better. We're not good enough on defense and in net.

Edited by GMRwings1983

It depends on what team shows up, in my mind. If we play like we did against LA on monday in the playoffs, the Cup is ours to lose.

If we play like we did in Anaheim last night, we won't make it out of the second round.

I feel like I have moderately high expectations, because I expect that this team is professional enough to flip a switch when the playoffs roll around and stop dicking around like they have been at times this season.

Howard is a question mark, but I feel like Osgood can stand on his head if Howard has a meltdown.

I honestly don't see us getting out of the 2nd round...and even that depends on who we draw in the 1st round. Everyone else is going to tighten up their D, but we'll still be giving up at least 3 goals a game. Just a feeling.

Motivation, motivation, motivation, like everybody's said. IF we play like we do on our good nights, we should at LEAST make the Conference Finals. The teams I am worried about are Nashville, who seems to have our number, SJ, who we know is dangerous against us in the playoffs (and this regular season, for that matter), and Vancouver, who is having a genuinely awesome season. We all know about the Canucks' playoffs record, but there have been times when we had a few rough seasons before making a Cup run, so I can't write them off. I don't know what to say...we have the ability, but do we have the will? (lol, watch out, I'm gonna start quoting Miracle or something in a minute here.)

Guest mjtm77

I love how before the season started everyone said we were hands down favorite to win the cup I just laughed at you guys.

The playoffs are a completely different game. Nothing we've seen this season can give us an idea of how good or bad somebody will be in the playoffs. Everyone plays better defensively, Howard is very capable of just getting on a hot streak like he did last year and dominating. Philly is really good and most likely going to take the East, but Boucher and Bobrovosky have little to no playoff experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get bounced. Vancouver hasn't shown anything in the playoffs yet. I'll worry about them more when they get past the 2nd round.

I like the Wings chances this year to win it all. Nobody has more depth or experience. We have the best coach and the better players. Instead of focusing on what we don't have, focus on what we DO have.

The playoffs are a completely different game. Nothing we've seen this season can give us an idea of how good or bad somebody will be in the playoffs. Everyone plays better defensively, Howard is very capable of just getting on a hot streak like he did last year and dominating. Philly is really good and most likely going to take the East, but Boucher and Bobrovosky have little to no playoff experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get bounced. Vancouver hasn't shown anything in the playoffs yet. I'll worry about them more when they get past the 2nd round.

I like the Wings chances this year to win it all. Nobody has more depth or experience. We have the best coach and the better players. Instead of focusing on what we don't have, focus on what we DO have.

yeah come playoff time everything is ramped up a little.

i guess that means that salei gets 5 hooking penalties a game as opposed to his usual 2-3.

It's just not "right" at present time for whatever reason. The team is way too inconsistent. However, I think that's probably been a popular opinion in previous recent seasons like in 2009, and that team was just 1 win away from winning it all, the defense pretty much played lights out most games when it struggled most that season, etc.

Back last season, I felt fairly confident they could make a deep run b/c they played solid most towards the end of last season and got healthy, and there were just times against Phoenix where they just took them to school when it mattered most. None more defining than game 7 of that series. San Jose series, the referees were god awful that whole series, but it's not like the Wings were blown out of the water in just 5 games that series, pretty much every one was close but awful calls and just a few bad bounces and there ya go. While they exited earlier than we want, I think they still played a decent series.

I think a good standard is that when this team is as able to play as close to a 60 minute game as possible or have a good break or two go there way early in a game, they are as difficult an out there is as anyone. Right now, I don't see it, but they "flipped a switch" per se in 2009, at times last post season, so hopefully that might be a case again for a deep playoff run.

I am completely stumped as to how this team will do! Like others have said the consistency isn't there but that doesn't mean it wont be during the playoffs. Early this season this team looked dominant so who's to say that team won't show up during the playoffs?!? It will come down to turnovers/defense and goaltending. If it all comes together they will win. If any portion of that isn't up to par they won't get out of the second round.

My prediction is they pull it all together and beat the Bruins in the finals! If Crosby happens to come back Detroit will beat Pitt in a sweep in the finals!

Something that would probably make us feel a lot better is if the Wings can really limit the goals and shots allowed for the rest of the season. It would be a very positive indication that they're really trying to clean up their defensive game and solidify it for the playoffs. Yeah you also have to worry about scoring goals too but they should really concentrate on tightening up defensively.

Bruins win the east mark it down

i couldn't be happier than having a DET vs. BOS final. that's the final i was hoping for when the Pens beat the wings. that was horrible to watch. atleast i could live with the wings losing to the B's. i just hope if the wings play the sharts or canucks that they come out on top.

the wings success will be determined by our goaltending and depth. howard has been up and down this year. abby has been useless. hudler, helm and cleary have been awesome lately. and franzen needs to play hard every game. dats, Z, Lids need to just do what they do. rafalski, stuart, kronner and ericsson stay solid and chip in with some points and the wings back end will be lethal. any of this falters, playoff hockey exposes mistakes made by these guys.

If they gave it their best effort (which you can tell they arn't) and they lose, fine as long as you gave it your all, we havent lost one game this year that i thought we were giving our best effort, something needs to light a fire under their asses.

I resumed watching Hockey in 2002, I had stopped watching for a while and was kind of a nomad after the team I was fan of ceased to exist. (Hartford Whalers, and f*** the Carolina Canes, they are not the Whalers). Anyway I decided to get back into it in 2002, and picked the Wings because Brendan Shanahan was my favorite Whaler (behind Mike Liut) because he was so awesome in his short time their and was a bad ass mother f*****. I was a bit hockey ignorant, and while I knew the Wings were a good franchise, I didnt realize how loaded they were, I then became excited as no team of mine had ever won a professional sports championship in all my 27 years of sports fandom. Here is how I felt about each year:

2002: Hockey newb, during the first part of the season thought they were a good team, by the end of the regular season and after the espn mag cover I knew this was a loaded team and felt great about their chances. That was until losing the first 2 home games in round 1. Were the sports Gods that cruel to play this sick joke on me? I was certain after losing game 5 against the Avs it was over. Little did I know that it would be the most epic run of any of my sports teams, and deliver me my first professional sports championship, against the ******* ******* Peter Karmanos and the Canes.

2003: High off of the cup run I thought they were a lock to win another cup. I remember looking at the bracket and dismissing the Ducks, and figuring they would eliminate them in 5. What a crushing shock to get swept in the first round by the 7th seed. I was slammed back down to earth.

2004: I was excited to avenge that previous years devastating loss, and when they traded for Lang I remember hearing it on the radio and was certain they would win it all. I still cant figure out how they lost to Calgary, I guess it shows how important Stevie Y was, when he got hurt, it was over. I really wished Hatcher could have played longer for us.

2005: To have to wait an additional year to try to remove the horrible taste in my mouth from 2004 was torture. I remember being so angry, and talks some s*** like "if they dont play im not going back" LOL!

2006: I wasent sure what to think at this point, and I remember all the talk was about how the Wings were done because of the cap. I was so excited that they got the #1 seed and was ready for another cup run. After game 6 in Edmonton it was probably my lowest point as a sports fan in my entire life.

2007: I remember thinking, yeah, so what if they have a good regular season? That doesnt mean s***. I went into the first round against Calgary thinking if they lost again in the first round I dont know if I could stay sane. Game 6 in OT in Calgary turned out to be one of my favorite sports moments of all time. That joy was short lived as I was staring a 3-1 hole against the Sharks with a minute or so left in game 4 of the 2nd round. That was one of the most incredible playoff games I have ever been a part of. I was so happy the Wings made it to the conference Finals, that while the game 5 loss was soul crushing, I was happy that off season that they got that far and felt they had a good team.

2008: I remember thinking they were a good team, but didnt know what to expect. When they choked up back to back 2 goal leads late in games 3 and 4, I thought "Not again!" Johan Franzen changed all that in game 5 in OT. After that series I just was in awe of how good they played, and I didnt even have a chance to doubt a cup run until game 5 of the Finals. Finally they won it all after those early exits.

2009: I couldnt believe they got Hossa in the offseason, and I knew they were stacked, but repeating was so hard to do. It was a great run with a devastating finish, but I can look back fondly on the Ducks series. It did leave a horrible taste in my mouth, but on the other hand, I hadent had a team win a championship in 27 years until 2002. Now I had 2, to not get the 3rd was easier to deal with since I could focus on the previous 2, plus like I said, winning that Ducks series was almost as good as winning it all.

2010: I didnt have high expectations, but was hopeful. This was the single most grueling season I had ever been a part of. Seemed like every game was long and drawn out with a shoot out loss. It was like a ground hog day nightmare. Then they went on that amazing run after the olympic break and went from out of the playoffs to the 5th seed, and then won game 7 in Phoenix. I walked away last year being very proud of the Wings.

2011: I want this cup so ******* bad, I want to get rid of the game 7 nightmare against the Pens. But I have some doubts. But I feel good at the same time, they have the talent, and I think they have a good chance, but thats been the case almost every year. This is going to be a stressful and brutal playoffs, but hopefully it will end in euphoria and 16 numbers at the top of our forum.

Edited by paul19010

I wonder if there is some element of boredom in the regular season. I mean, a lot of these guys have been there done that, won cups, had fantastic regular seasons year after year, its just the expectation. But one thing is for sure, when this team is firing on all cylinders, they are unstoppable.

I think (hope) we'll make a deep run and expect at least the conference finals, Vancouver and the Sharks both concern me though if we end up running into them at some point.

Edited by greenrebellion