149 replies to this topic

#21 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Honestly - I dunno.

Our inconsistency with defense has me concerned...Be lucky to get beyond the 2nd round.

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!! This team will not make it past the first round with this power play! Not to mention we cannot win at home. We'll end up playing Calgary or some team with a hot goalie in the first round and get smoked. Way to inconsistant with our play and its starting to get old real fast.

But I surely hope that I am wrong!

As for the past seasons. I really thought the Wings had a shot at doing something in 1993. I still cannot believe we did not beat Toronto that year. The year before that (1992) when we lost to Chicago in the second round still kills me too. We came back on Minnesota after being down 3-1 in the series and laid an egg against Chicago and Belfour. 1994 still has a bad taste in my mouth, the Series with the Sharks was over right after game 1, I knew that we would not beat them in that series, Irbe was just too good and we were inconsistant(hmmmmm.. kinda like this year). 1996 was killer, I thought we were the best in the league and simply could not do anything in the playoffs. 7 games with the Blues and needing a Stevie Y Miracle to win that series and Colorado was just too tough. 1997 I did not see coming until after March 26th. 1998, there was no one that could beat us and in 1999, I just think we ran out of gas. 2000, 2001 no desire in the lockeroom, losing to the Kings in 2001 was almost as bad as the 1994 series with the Sharks. 2002 there was no way anyone was beating us!

#22 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

Honestly - I dunno.

Our inconsistency with defense has me concerned...Be lucky to get beyond the 2nd round.

I totally agree. I hope, but don't see the Wings going deep this year.

#23 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

I think we should be favored to win when Vegas makes their odds. I'm picking a Philly-Detroit final, with us winning a 5th Cup since 1997. I really don't see why we won't win, we're the best team with the most experience, plus we had some extra rest from a second round exit last year. Goaltending across the league is average, so I'm fine with Howard in the playoffs. I have no doubts the defense will tighten up once the playoffs start. Right now, with a big lead in the division, we're just killing time.

Actually going back to 1995, I've picked the Wings to win every year but 2007 (Anaheim), 2009 (Didn't make a pick, haha), and 2010 (Vancouver). Hey, I've been right 4 times with the Wings, and a 5th with my 2007 Anaheim pick.

I remember telling people when we got Shanahan we we're going to win the Cup. People thought I was crazy, but it was just one of those feelings that we were finally due.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#24 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

If we have the heart, and determination that hasnt existed so far this reg season we will, but if we continue to have no determination then no.

#25 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

As others have said, the inconsistency seems to be a big issue. One game they'll pop in 7 goals, then can't score to save their lives the next. Similarly, Jimmy looks stellar for a stretch of games, then seems to stink it up. Hopefully they can all play with some real urgency leading into the post-season to prepare themselves for the long haul.

#26 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

1966-present: Wings will win the Cup! Lions will win the Superbowl!

Seriously, 2008 was the only time that I felt that it was destiny. Something about Mac coming back felt Kharmic.

#27 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I like the way we look this year. We have the players. We need Ozzie to heal and I think we have to depth to make a solid run at the Cup.

My only concern is this, lately, we have been unable to win at home. If we finish the year where we are, we would finish 2nd in the West which would give us home ice all the way until the conference finals. (assuming all the top seeds win out) Because of this, our inconsistency at home scares me with the amount of home games we are going to have to play being a top seed. If we can find a way to pick up some momentum in the final home stands that we have, maybe the Joe can become a feared place to play again. We are 17-10-2 at home. That just doesn't scream confidence to me. However, we are 22-8-3 on the road. We have been playing better on the road.

If they don't find a way to make the Joe a stomping ground for any team that dares to step into it's confines, then we don't make it past the 2nd round. If we start to show up at home and our goaltending steps up(with or without Ozzie) we can win it all. Jimah(!) is a great goalie and I would put a lot of money on him taking us deep into the playoffs. With all that being said, we have a great team, a great coach, and a great chance to bring home Lord Stanley's cup.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#28 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

04-05- No season. Wings somehow don't make it.
05-06- Thought sure as hell they were going to make some noise. Damn Roloson.
06-07- Thought they had a good shot.
07-08- I remember thinking about 10 games in it was destined to happen. It was.
08-09- Thought it would work again, absent a 30+ second uncalled too many men, it would have.
09-10- Thankful to make it out of the first round after so many injuries.
10-11- Need to tighten up defensively, give Ozzie and Howard a decent rotation. Still could go very deep.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#29 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

I think we should be favored to win when Vegas makes their odds. I'm picking a Philly-Detroit final, with us winning a 5th Cup since 1997. I really don't see why we won't win, we're the best team with the most experience, plus we had some extra rest from a second round exit last year. Goaltending across the league is average, so I'm fine with Howard in the playoffs. I have no doubts the defense will tighten up once the playoffs start. Right now, with a big lead in the division, we're just killing time.

Actually going back to 1995, I've picked the Wings to win every year but 2007 (Anaheim), 2009 (Didn't make a pick, haha), and 2010 (Vancouver). Hey, I've been right 4 times with the Wings, and a 5th with my 2007 Anaheim pick.

I remember telling people when we got Shanahan we we're going to win the Cup. People thought I was crazy, but it was just one of those feelings that we were finally due.

Oh - I totally had that feeling the Red Wings were gonna win the Cup once Shanny donned the Winged Wheel.

As for our chances this year - I hope your right...The Wings play in our own end has ranged from exceptional to down right miserable.

I hope there is that magical "switch" that can be turned "on" once the playoffs begin otherwise our spring Red Wing hockey watching will be short lived.

Side note: for the past "umteen" years I've always associated spring with hockey playoffs; warmer weather, snow melting, fresh air, trees/flowers blooming, and intense playoff hockey all seem to go hand in hand...Am I the only one?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#30 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

I think everyone is just to scared to just say it: We are gonna f*** some s*** up this playoffs and win the cup
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#31 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

I think everyone is just to scared to just say it: We are gonna f*** some s*** up this playoffs and win the cup

FTW.

It's just the same old spoiled, cool thing to do to predict an implosion.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#32 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

I think they'll win it this year.
It's one of those 'good feeling' years.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'll take the last decade.

1999: Cup is ours with Chris Chelios, Wendel Clark and Ulf Samuelsson joining the team. Up 2-0 against the dives and going home, we have no chance of losing. :hehe:
2000: We're not as good as Colorado and Dallas.
2001: Good chance to win with Colorado being our only real threat.
2002: Please don't choke. We're too good not to win.
2003: Cup is ours. Roster is too talented to lose. Second straight Cup win very likely.
2004: Cup is ours. Another Presidents trophy and the best team heading into the playoffs.
2006: Same is 2004.
2007: Please get out of the 1st round.
2008: Good team but not destined to win the Cup.
2009: Favorites to win the Cup as long as we're hungry enough.
2010: Not getting out of the 2nd round.
2011: Philly and Vancouver are better. We're not good enough on defense and in net.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 March 2011 - 07:26 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

It depends on what team shows up, in my mind. If we play like we did against LA on monday in the playoffs, the Cup is ours to lose.

If we play like we did in Anaheim last night, we won't make it out of the second round.

I feel like I have moderately high expectations, because I expect that this team is professional enough to flip a switch when the playoffs roll around and stop dicking around like they have been at times this season.

Howard is a question mark, but I feel like Osgood can stand on his head if Howard has a meltdown.

#35 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

I honestly don't see us getting out of the 2nd round...and even that depends on who we draw in the 1st round. Everyone else is going to tighten up their D, but we'll still be giving up at least 3 goals a game. Just a feeling.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#36 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Motivation, motivation, motivation, like everybody's said. IF we play like we do on our good nights, we should at LEAST make the Conference Finals. The teams I am worried about are Nashville, who seems to have our number, SJ, who we know is dangerous against us in the playoffs (and this regular season, for that matter), and Vancouver, who is having a genuinely awesome season. We all know about the Canucks' playoffs record, but there have been times when we had a few rough seasons before making a Cup run, so I can't write them off. I don't know what to say...we have the ability, but do we have the will? (lol, watch out, I'm gonna start quoting Miracle or something in a minute here.)

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#37 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:59 AM

Yeah this past California road trip isn't making the lot of us feel any better.

#38 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:06 AM

IMO, we'll lose in the Conference Semi's.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#39 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

I love how before the season started everyone said we were hands down favorite to win the cup I just laughed at you guys.
Posted Image

#40 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:18 AM

We will win the Cup... Mark it down!