• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mabuhay Red Wings

Wings Playoff/Cup chances?

Rate this topic

Going into last season, I had the feeling that the Wings were going to have a bit of a down year. They'd played more hockey than any other team the previous 3 seasons.

Starting this season, I was confident that they'd challenge for the Cup again. Nothing's really changed throughout the season even though they seem to put up a poor showing almost every time I get a chance to watch them.

They've had rough stretches every season after '95-'96. December of 2001 they couldn't buy a win for approximately 3 weeks.

The Wings have the all the tools to win. It's just a matter of putting them to use. I still believe that if the Wings play their A game, no other team in league can match them.

Going into last season, I had the feeling that the Wings were going to have a bit of a down year. They'd played more hockey than any other team the previous 3 seasons.

Starting this season, I was confident that they'd challenge for the Cup again. Nothing's really changed throughout the season even though they seem to put up a poor showing almost every time I get a chance to watch them.

They've had rough stretches every season after '95-'96. December of 2001 they couldn't buy a win for approximately 3 weeks.

The Wings have the all the tools to win. It's just a matter of putting them to use. I still believe that if the Wings play their A game, no other team in league can match them.

You could say that about at least 5 or 6 teams in the league.

If we play our A game, that means someone else isn't playing theirs. The whole point is to not let someone play their A game.

We're not that much better than anyone else, that we can win the Cup at will if we felt like it. Other teams are exploiting some of our obvious weaknesses and not letting the Wings play their A game.

Early in the season, I felt like this was one of those seasons with Detroit just steamrolling along then the team got inconsistent. If we play the Predators or Kings in round one, I might be a little worried unless I see some huge turnaround in the last few games of the season.

Edited by MGreenberg

Hey,

I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't see the team going very deep in the playoffs this year. I sure hope I'm wrong of course. Does anyone else feel this way? I've noticed the inconsistency in goaltending and defense. But it seems to be something else that just seems off with this year's club. Ever notice how teams that aggressively forecheck the wings cause us all sorts of problems? Can't clear, then penalties follow because of fatigue on a long shift when their pinned in the zone? Anyone else have the same or differing point of view? I'd like to hear what you all think.

Jeff

Hey,

I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't see the team going very deep in the playoffs this year. I sure hope I'm wrong of course. Does anyone else feel this way? I've noticed the inconsistency in goaltending and defense. But it seems to be something else that just seems off with this year's club. Ever notice how teams that aggressively forecheck the wings cause us all sorts of problems? Can't clear, then penalties follow because of fatigue on a long shift when their pinned in the zone? Anyone else have the same or differing point of view? I'd like to hear what you all think.

Jeff

Injuries - losing players like Datsyuk for any period of time can't be accounted for, along with Stuart's long injury, Val's stint, ect... add that in with never really getting any consistency on line pairings and you have the direct result...

I think our playoff hopes lie solely on how healthy we stay...

Does anyone else feel this way?

Read through nearly every thread in here. I see you are new here but this is panic button central. Playoffs are unpredictable as can be but the flow of the team this year has been unnerving at the very least. They ramp it up come mid-April but will that be enough? We shall see.

Honestly I feel great going into the playoffs every year, even last year. But this year does feel off, I agree. I hope I'm wrong but looking back over the season except for a strong first 20 games I can't think of any positives other than Helm's breakout half-season to pull from the season.

Read through nearly every thread in here. I see you are new here but this is panic button central. Playoffs are unpredictable as can be but the flow of the team this year has been unnerving at the very least. They ramp it up come mid-April but will that be enough? We shall see.

I'm not new, been on here for many years, but I rarely post. I just wanted to see how others felt. In a way, this kinda feels like 1997. I didn't think that team would go very far and they won it all (shows what I know). Anything can happen, true, and I sure hope they go all the way. The way we've played, in general, against Vancouver, Sharks, and some of the other top teams has me concerned. I will say that a healthy Wings team firing on all cylinders will be very difficult to beat in a 7 game series. I hope we gel at the right time :-)

I'm not new, been on here for many years, but I rarely post. I just wanted to see how others felt. In a way, this kinda feels like 1997. I didn't think that team would go very far and they won it all (shows what I know). Anything can happen, true, and I sure hope they go all the way. The way we've played, in general, against Vancouver, Sharks, and some of the other top teams has me concerned. I will say that a healthy Wings team firing on all cylinders will be very difficult to beat in a 7 game series. I hope we gel at the right time :-)

:thumbup:

Actually, beyond cup chances, I meant does anyone else feel this team is lacking in some way, but can't really nail it down? I know this is a prelude to the playoffs, but I have felt this way since last December. Even when they were winning, I didn't find it overly impressive the way it was done.

the wings are lacking in healthy players :hehe:

the thing that feels most off this year is the sloppy ass play in the defensive zone. the wings have been getting goal production from all 4 lines, which has them top 5 in goals for, but the goals aginst has been terrible this year. from howard being inconsistant as all hell to the wings defense on occasion just looking disinterested in playing hockey. the amount of 60 minute games the wings have played this year can be counted on 1 hand. if the wings get healthy before playoffs, they'll be hard to beat. unfortunately, franzen had the torch passed from kovalev as laziest skilled player in the NHL. lets hope that changes soon, cause the wings need EVERYONE doing their job and being productive and they'll be the same contenders they always are. i believe 100% that if this wings team plays to their potential, they can win the cup with Joey in net if howard isn't ready to go.

Said it many times before but people are really making the safe assumptions in here. Grrr! We will be first round exit! Or, well it might be 2nd round but not much further. These are all safe "predictions" or whatever you want to call them.

It's almost playoff time. It wouldn't feel right without multiple threads filled with playoff fear and a tiny bit of hope.

And about 4-5 threads about our goaltending situation. Yep. Feels about right.

Hey,

Jeff

It is always that way. The Wings like to set plays up. If they don't get time to launch their breakout passes, they end up chipping right to a guy covered or to an opposition player. It is all or nothing with them.