• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#81 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

I know you're angry that the Wings haven't been so dominant as to erase from your mind any possibility that you may end up disappointed, but maybe you'll at least look into the past for data.

:taunt:

#82 donfishmaster

donfishmaster

steviesteenie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

I give them an 80% chance of winning the first round.
If they win that, 50% chance of winning the second round.
If they win that, 40% chance of winning Western Conference.
If they win that, 45% chance of winning The Cup.
So...about a 1-in-fourteen chance of winning The Cup.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Slightly better odds than a random 1-in-16, but certainly not an overwhelming favorite.

Edited by donfishmaster, 06 March 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#83 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

We're too old, and we're nowhere near consistent enough right now to make a real Cup run. Shake up needed in the summer? Bet your ass.

I pretty much agree - however I don't think much will happen this summer...The big "news" is whether or not Lids comes back for another season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#84 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,947 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

Yup. It generally happens that way.

Well, things almost always have turned out differently in the playoffs.

I know you're angry that the Wings haven't been so dominant as to erase from your mind any possibility that you may end up disappointed, but maybe you'll at least look into the past for data.

I'm not happy about the way we're playing, Crymson.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#85 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Your a bad fan GMR, the Wings dont have to be dominant just to please you.. god :D

#NOMOREKINDL

#86 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:35 AM

Nor am I. However, this and "We're going to lose early in the playoffs for sure" are two utterly different statements.

#87 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

The way the Wings are playing now is frustrating from a fan's viewpoint. Example: the blown 4-1 4rd period lead against the Yotes. When they are off to a slow start, they seem to be able to flip the STFU switch and kick it up another gear. What we saw in the Yotes game was the opposite. They had a commanding lead and were effectively owning the Yotes.....then they seemed to flip the switch to "off". I hope they are just saving themselves for the "prom", but if not I see an early exit in the playoffs. As a fan from the "Dead Things" era, this ain't nothin. Wings will kick ass and not even have time to take names. As long as they quit playing like boneheads.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS, 07 March 2011 - 08:19 AM.

half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#88 Scrosby87

Scrosby87

Prospect

• 31 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

Everybody knows the Wings get it done in the playoffs.

Who do you think your toughest challenge is? Can anyone beat the Wings in a 7 game series. (Other than Vancouver --- and that's arguable)

#89 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Depends on how Ozzie comes back.. Jimmy cannot carry us.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#90 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

Just kidding. Relax people. Some of you need to take a few steps back and also take a deep breath. The Wings have weak spots yes, but when they pull their heads from their asses, they can more than be overcome. So their problems at the moment are problems they have total control over. It's not something that's in everyone else's hands, it's something that's in our hands. We've done it once, we can do it again.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#91 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

I guess the question should be more like what is the chance that each Wings team will show up in the playoffs.

If the lazy Wings who blow leads show up then they have no chance. If the full potential Wings show up then there should be no reason they don't win the Cup.

#92 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

I dunno, this year I'm not super confident but I do think they have enoughw eapons to win it all if they peak at the right time.

When you look at it, Vancouver and the Sharks are the 2 teams in the west that are the other best. Both teams have playoff demons, Luongo is not much of a playoff goalie and I think the Sedin sisters can be shut down with some physical play.

I still think this team needs some fresh blood somewhere in the line up

Ok, so which "weapons" do they no longer have that they had in 2008? Howard obviously replaces Ozzie but who else? No Drake, Lebda, Lilja or Maltby.

I think that we are better personnel wise than we were in '08 and if Howie plays well, we win the Cup.
Do or do not. There is no try

#93 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Ok, so which "weapons" do they no longer have that they had in 2008? Howard obviously replaces Ozzie but who else? No Drake, Lebda, Lilja or Maltby.

I think that we are better personnel wise than we were in '08 and if Howie plays well, we win the Cup.

We had Todd McClellan still. Also Sammy, Korepecky, and Dmac.

I agree with you for the most part though, roster-wise we have plenty of talent, but still, they haven't impressed me enough this season for me to declare a cup win just yet.
Posted Image

#94 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Believe it or not - the 3rd D pairing of Lebda/Lilja was pretty damn good, and IMHO better than what we have in guys such as Salei, Ericsson, and Kindl.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#95 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

Every season has its different ups and downs. No one can truly say we knew we were going to win any Cup with the exception of maybe '98 and '02 and even those seasons had their low points. Take it easy chicken littles, I am just as skeptical as all of you are. But to say "NO! 2nd round exit and no more" is just outright lunacy to me.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#96 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Id be surprised if wings made it out the first or 2nd round honestly.

Cant beat hawks
Cant beat sharks
Cant beat the stars
Hard time with the preds

Maybe we can avoid all those teams, or maybe they quit the s*** in the playoffs. But like last year you noticed they played the same game they played all season, s*** defense and outscore the opponent. Need to work out the kinks ASAP

#97 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Id be surprised if wings made it out the first or 2nd round honestly.

Cant beat hawks
Cant beat sharks
Cant beat the stars
Hard time with the preds

The Wings were 3-1 against the Avs in the regular season in '96 and we lost to them in the playoffs. Then the Wings were 1-3 against them in the regular season in '97 and we won in the playoffs. If the only time the Wings can beat the Hawks, Sharks, Stars and Preds is in the playoffs... I'm fine with that.

#98 LadyInRed

LadyInRed

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I cant believe some of you have given hope, and/or bashing them on whatever chance you get
"theyre too old, they lack determination, the goalie sucks, the defense is worse"

Its the WINGS were talking about. They're having a rough time for whatever reason.. but they find a way to get back ontop of the game & you know they'll fight 50x harder come next month!

just as long as we dont face the sharks :P

Edited by LadyInRed, 07 March 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#99 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

I pretty much agree - however I don't think much will happen this summer...The big "news" is whether or not Lids comes back for another season.

There needs to be a few shake ups on defense. Clearly, that's our biggest problem. If Lids retires, that obviously magnifies the issue. I don't see many shake ups as far as forwards. I'd like to see a gritty bottom 6 guy, but that could depend on whether Draper decides to play another year.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#100 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:52 AM

Ill just post the year and who I predicted for that particular year.

1995 - Detroit
1996 - Detroit - Not a doubt in my mind.
1997 - Detroit - After the brawl, not a doubt in my mind.
1998 - Detroit - VKSM. It was just destiny this year.
1999 - Detroit - Chelios, Clark, Ulfie, Ranford
2000 - Colorado
2001 - Colorado
2002 - Detroit - No doubt in my mind.
2003 - Detroit - Pretty much the same team as 02.
2004 - Colorado - Kariya and Selanne
2006 - San Jose
2007 - San Jose
2008 - San Jose - Yes, I seriously picked them three years in a row. I really liked the make up of those teams.
2009 - Detroit - Hossa. Still stunned we didn't win.
2010 - Pittsburgh - Notice this is the first east team I've picked. I thought Chicago was too young, and that Detroit had lost too much.
2011 - Vancouver - I just think its their year. So much talent top to bottom. I hope I'm wrong. I've been 4/17 at this afterall, haha