• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#101 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:08 AM

It's always tough to give an objective and reasonable prediction while in the throes of a losing streak in which we've played terrible.

That said, I haven't truly liked Detroit's chances at any point during this season. Things I believe will cause us serious trouble:

1) Howard has been terrible this year. He's won a lot of games, but many of those have come on the broad shoulders of the team's league-leading goal scoring. Howard has been prone to lapses in concentration that have led to at least 1 poor goal in nearly every one of his starts this year and he's had a very difficult time stringing together strong performances in succession.

2) Our defense has been completely exposed by two things: a) chip & chase with aggressive forecheck and b) attacking from below the goal line. Our d-men look completely lost when the opponent doesn't back off and give them room to work. Even Nick Lidstrom has been prone to coughing up the puck and making poor decisions when under duress and this is the first year I believe I've ever seen that

3) Special teams lack urgency. The powerplay has been lazy, predictable and altogether stagnant. The PP looks lost when teams take away the point option because they're trying to get too cute down low and seem completely unwilling to shoot for rebounds and dig for garbage goals. The failure on the powerplay can almost entirely be attributed to the fact that the penalty killers give up entry into the defensive zone too easily. The opposition doesn't even have to make a pass to gain entry because our defense backs down so willingly to the puck carrier. Easy entry = easy setup = free shots = bad PK. It's that simple.

These are the 3 things that I believe are going to kill us in the playoffs. Playoff style hockey with high intensity and aggressive forechecking is exactly the type of type of hockey that is designed to dismantle a team that plays a soft perimeter game like the Wings have been all year.

#102 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

It's always tough to give an objective and reasonable prediction while in the throes of a losing streak in which we've played terrible.

That said, I haven't truly liked Detroit's chances at any point during this season. Things I believe will cause us serious trouble:

1) Howard has been terrible this year. He's won a lot of games, but many of those have come on the broad shoulders of the team's league-leading goal scoring. Howard has been prone to lapses in concentration that have led to at least 1 poor goal in nearly every one of his starts this year and he's had a very difficult time stringing together strong performances in succession.

2) Our defense has been completely exposed by two things: a) chip & chase with aggressive forecheck and b) attacking from below the goal line. Our d-men look completely lost when the opponent doesn't back off and give them room to work. Even Nick Lidstrom has been prone to coughing up the puck and making poor decisions when under duress and this is the first year I believe I've ever seen that3) Special teams lack urgency. The powerplay has been lazy, predictable and altogether stagnant. The PP looks lost when teams take away the point option because they're trying to get too cute down low and seem completely unwilling to shoot for rebounds and dig for garbage goals. The failure on the powerplay can almost entirely be attributed to the fact that the penalty killers give up entry into the defensive zone too easily. The opposition doesn't even have to make a pass to gain entry because our defense backs down so willingly to the puck carrier. Easy entry = easy setup = free shots = bad PK. It's that simple.

These are the 3 things that I believe are going to kill us in the playoffs. Playoff style hockey with high intensity and aggressive forechecking is exactly the type of type of hockey that is designed to dismantle a team that plays a soft perimeter game like the Wings have been all year.

agree with every thing here but especially Lids he has been giving the puck up a little bit this year
Posted Image

#103 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

You play to win the game....Anything can happen come playoff time, it's a new season... GO WINGS
IPB Image

#104 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

[quote name='RusDRW' timestamp='1299166099' post='2125192']
This year I feel that we're much better than any other team. I rarely had that feeling in the past. Last time it was in 2007 when we lost to Anaheim and back in 2002 for obvious reasons. If our players want it hard, we're going to win. However, I don't think our players are motivated enough.
[/quote

This is what really, really scares me this year. They have many more lackluster games then I ever remember them having. Im not (like some people on here) concerned about the goaltending situation as I believe Jimmy will give the team more then the opportunity to win. I just hope they start to show that spark again sometime very soon.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#105 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:00 AM

This is what really, really scares me this year. They have many more lackluster games then I ever remember them having. Im not (like some people on here) concerned about the goaltending situation as I believe Jimmy will give the team more then the opportunity to win. I just hope they start to show that spark again sometime very soon.

It's kind of starting to feel like 02-03. They win some games, stay competitive for the 2nd spot in the West but too often you think to yourself, "Does this team have any real hunger at all?"

#106 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

There needs to be a few shake ups on defense. Clearly, that's our biggest problem. If Lids retires, that obviously magnifies the issue. I don't see many shake ups as far as forwards. I'd like to see a gritty bottom 6 guy, but that could depend on whether Draper decides to play another year.

Oh don't get me wrong...There's nothing more that I want is a few Dmen that play as though they have a pair dangling between their legs instead of what we have right now.

It's just that Lidstrom will be our #1 concern, and as per usual we'll see Holland pick up another body, or 2 to fill in the holes...I'm not expecting much.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#107 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Bogosian gets it done in 2011/12. Whatever it takes.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#108 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

I completely agree with what Yellowknife said.

#109 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Going into last season, I had the feeling that the Wings were going to have a bit of a down year. They'd played more hockey than any other team the previous 3 seasons.

Starting this season, I was confident that they'd challenge for the Cup again. Nothing's really changed throughout the season even though they seem to put up a poor showing almost every time I get a chance to watch them.

They've had rough stretches every season after '95-'96. December of 2001 they couldn't buy a win for approximately 3 weeks.

The Wings have the all the tools to win. It's just a matter of putting them to use. I still believe that if the Wings play their A game, no other team in league can match them.

#110 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

Going into last season, I had the feeling that the Wings were going to have a bit of a down year. They'd played more hockey than any other team the previous 3 seasons.

Starting this season, I was confident that they'd challenge for the Cup again. Nothing's really changed throughout the season even though they seem to put up a poor showing almost every time I get a chance to watch them.

They've had rough stretches every season after '95-'96. December of 2001 they couldn't buy a win for approximately 3 weeks.

The Wings have the all the tools to win. It's just a matter of putting them to use. I still believe that if the Wings play their A game, no other team in league can match them.

You could say that about at least 5 or 6 teams in the league.

If we play our A game, that means someone else isn't playing theirs. The whole point is to not let someone play their A game.

We're not that much better than anyone else, that we can win the Cup at will if we felt like it. Other teams are exploiting some of our obvious weaknesses and not letting the Wings play their A game.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#111 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

I'm still pretty wishy washy on the cup chances for this year. I mean, it's possible and yet I'm reserving judgment big time. Not too confident I guess, tbh.

#112 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

#113 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

Early in the season, I felt like this was one of those seasons with Detroit just steamrolling along then the team got inconsistent. If we play the Predators or Kings in round one, I might be a little worried unless I see some huge turnaround in the last few games of the season.

Edited by MGreenberg, 24 March 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#114 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

Anyone else notice the guy from Chicago at 4:14 who throws the broom on the ice is Jim Belushi?
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#115 maravig

maravig

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hey,
I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't see the team going very deep in the playoffs this year. I sure hope I'm wrong of course. Does anyone else feel this way? I've noticed the inconsistency in goaltending and defense. But it seems to be something else that just seems off with this year's club. Ever notice how teams that aggressively forecheck the wings cause us all sorts of problems? Can't clear, then penalties follow because of fatigue on a long shift when their pinned in the zone? Anyone else have the same or differing point of view? I'd like to hear what you all think.

Jeff

#116 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Hey,
I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't see the team going very deep in the playoffs this year. I sure hope I'm wrong of course. Does anyone else feel this way? I've noticed the inconsistency in goaltending and defense. But it seems to be something else that just seems off with this year's club. Ever notice how teams that aggressively forecheck the wings cause us all sorts of problems? Can't clear, then penalties follow because of fatigue on a long shift when their pinned in the zone? Anyone else have the same or differing point of view? I'd like to hear what you all think.

Jeff

Injuries - losing players like Datsyuk for any period of time can't be accounted for, along with Stuart's long injury, Val's stint, ect... add that in with never really getting any consistency on line pairings and you have the direct result...

I think our playoff hopes lie solely on how healthy we stay...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#117 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Does anyone else feel this way?

Read through nearly every thread in here. I see you are new here but this is panic button central. Playoffs are unpredictable as can be but the flow of the team this year has been unnerving at the very least. They ramp it up come mid-April but will that be enough? We shall see.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#118 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Honestly I feel great going into the playoffs every year, even last year. But this year does feel off, I agree. I hope I'm wrong but looking back over the season except for a strong first 20 games I can't think of any positives other than Helm's breakout half-season to pull from the season.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#119 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hudler will score the SCWG.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#120 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

*pulls string*....

the cow says... moooo

*pulls string*....

the pig says... oink oink

*pulls string*....

the horse says... quit kicking me i'm already dead....

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston