• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mabuhay Red Wings

Wings Playoff/Cup chances?

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

I think the Wings season hasn't been as good as the last few, but then again, the bigger issue is how much more intense over-analyzing gets in every loss, or in this case, before the game is even over.

Guest mjtm77

same s***. Playoffs are a whole new ball game I mean look how s***ty the hawks played last year goin into the playoffs. Iam tired of being on this board and reading wings suck, wings out first round, . Fire MCcrimen, rebuild, wings suck why does this stuff need to be posted constently

The good news and bad news is that it doesn't get much worse than it did tonight. However, there's more good to be recovered here than bad. When you're face down, you can't get any lower. We've got guys who know what they're doing, guys like Lidstrom, Draper, and Z who've been there and handle pressure on a day in day our basis. There's guys like Cleary who know what's expected of them and know that they need to step up. This game was more of a message to those guys than to us. Yeah, it sucked seeing a shelling but it's going to suck even more going through the drills tomorrow.

Don't be so down on this team. These guys know what they're doing, they've been playing this game their whole lives and they're on a team whose been winning this game for the past... god, 25 years. So our passes aren't as crisp as 1995- isn't that a good thing? We aren't trying as hard when it's unnecessary. We're going to be just fine.

I actually feel pretty good about the playoffs this year. This isn't a tired team, they appear to be saving themselves for the playoffs, and I don't think they care who they play. Howard is getting some much needed rest should be fresh for the playoffs, Pav and Mule should be ready to break out. By winning the Stanley Cup this year we'll be able to unload McCrimmon on some poor unsuspecting young team ready to have their D destroyed.

I dunno... Wings 2002 looked pretty much off-sync at the end of regular season and through playoffs' first 2 games.

and they still had some good playoff run if you ask me...

Wings are rolling slowly towards playoffs and keep their core players benched to give them some rest and also protect

them from real injuries before playoffs start. active players don't push too much either, for the very same reason.

it looks IMHO more like Wings tanking those games to spare forces for playoff run, than the team having real issues

with mana. they will put the higher gear on once playoffs start.

this is a good core of players with good work ethics. and there's no chemistry issues because of new ingredients.

they are set, know each other and should be playing good once everybody's back in the lineup. whether it'll be sufficient

to send the opponents golfing - we'll see. I like how the team looks right now, and the only question is how much

Cup hunger do these players have.

Edited by akustyk

Hey,

I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't see the team going very deep in the playoffs this year. I sure hope I'm wrong of course. Does anyone else feel this way? I've noticed the inconsistency in goaltending and defense. But it seems to be something else that just seems off with this year's club. Ever notice how teams that aggressively forecheck the wings cause us all sorts of problems? Can't clear, then penalties follow because of fatigue on a long shift when their pinned in the zone? Anyone else have the same or differing point of view? I'd like to hear what you all think.

Jeff

I'm not sure about this... They have been most disappointing lately, but it may be lethargy from playing all year long.? Yesterday's debacle was an absolute embarassment. I will say that this year's team has a hard time getting started. I'll bet they have been behind in most of their games. Perhaps that is an exageration but it sure seems like it. If that doesn't change, they will not go far. One more thing, the Sharks own the Wings right now. I don't think we can beat them.

I'm not sure about this... They have been most disappointing lately, but it may be lethargy from playing all year long.? Yesterday's debacle was an absolute embarassment. I will say that this year's team has a hard time getting started. I'll bet they have been behind in most of their games. Perhaps that is an exageration but it sure seems like it. If that doesn't change, they will not go far. One more thing, the Sharks own the Wings right now. I don't think we can beat them.

I can't see us beating the Sharkies or the 'Nucks truthfully. It would be very impressive if we did. I'll reserve judgement until we a healthy lineup in Round 1, Game 1. Last night I hope will be a wake up card because getting pounded by a non-playoff team this close to the playoffs is not a good thing. I hope Babs can get the ship steered right.

Hasn't been the same team since losing to Pittsburgh in game 7. We need some new blood and a great goalie for a change! Pretty sad when our most consistent line is not our top lines but the 4th line of grinders.

Strange thing is how its always the teams that we should beat that give us fits.

Edited by The Secret

I can't see us beating the Sharkies or the 'Nucks truthfully. It would be very impressive if we did. I'll reserve judgement until we a healthy lineup in Round 1, Game 1. Last night I hope will be a wake up card because getting pounded by a non-playoff team this close to the playoffs is not a good thing. I hope Babs can get the ship steered right.

I'm in agreement with you. What do they need to do to get better? Maybe some size? I don't know. My father-in-law thinks Bertuzzi has to go. Who knows.

After last nights debacle and the seemingly disinterested play we've witnessed for several months I'm asking the lads of the forum which way they think this team is leaning

Are we cagey veterans playing possum for the playoffs or easy pickins for a younger more aggressive opposition?

Frankly I'm undecided

Cast your vote/opinion!!

Ah, goalies still take way too much s*** in the D. Better goalies have had worse years than this one for Jimmy; not bad for a sophomore year, really. We'll see what happens with him next year and in the playoffs this year. There are other larger concerns than Howard's play, most notably passion and chemistry.

I'm surprised the latter doesn't get talked about as much. Some of this is Babs getting too creative, a lot of it is injuries, some of it is just... mesh. Have we ever had consistent lines this season? Not really. Here were the two best, though:

Hudler - Datsyuk - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - Bertuzzi

Put those back together and another line with Zetterberg (Holmstrom + Modano?) and see how things work out in that regard. Alternatively, put Datsyuk and Zetterberg back together (When has this not worked longer than a couple games in a row?) and run the above combos with similar lines, such as Hudler - Filppula - Cleary, Bert - Modano - Franzen.

I think perhaps Babcock has been trying to get a feel for line combos moving forward into the playoffs, but it just feels like he's been trying to use line changes too much to get a spark going for some player or another and chemistry has suffered. If people don't have a spark, just make them sit.