• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

We have been blown out before in Cup run years. Not saying this is one of them years by any means but last night's game has no bearing on much. Trash the game tape and move on.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#142 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hasn't been the same team since losing to Pittsburgh in game 7. We need some new blood and a great goalie for a change! Pretty sad when our most consistent line is not our top lines but the 4th line of grinders.

Strange thing is how its always the teams that we should beat that give us fits.

Edited by The Secret, 31 March 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#143 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

I can't see us beating the Sharkies or the 'Nucks truthfully. It would be very impressive if we did. I'll reserve judgement until we a healthy lineup in Round 1, Game 1. Last night I hope will be a wake up card because getting pounded by a non-playoff team this close to the playoffs is not a good thing. I hope Babs can get the ship steered right.

I'm in agreement with you. What do they need to do to get better? Maybe some size? I don't know. My father-in-law thinks Bertuzzi has to go. Who knows.

#144 clayjoh

clayjoh

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

After last nights debacle and the seemingly disinterested play we've witnessed for several months I'm asking the lads of the forum which way they think this team is leaning
Are we cagey veterans playing possum for the playoffs or easy pickins for a younger more aggressive opposition?
Frankly I'm undecided
Cast your vote/opinion!!

#145 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

They will be ready I guarantee it... Especially since this might be the last year for Nick, Ozzie and Modo, they would want to bring their best effort

#146 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

Better hope we don't match up with a physical team or a team on the west coast. Travel will kill us. How about Chicago in the first round?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#147 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

We will never win a cup with Jimmy Howard.

#148 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

if we do win the cup Jimmy Howard will be the Con Smythe winner no doubt.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#149 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Knee-jerkville.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#150 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Ah, goalies still take way too much s*** in the D. Better goalies have had worse years than this one for Jimmy; not bad for a sophomore year, really. We'll see what happens with him next year and in the playoffs this year. There are other larger concerns than Howard's play, most notably passion and chemistry.

I'm surprised the latter doesn't get talked about as much. Some of this is Babs getting too creative, a lot of it is injuries, some of it is just... mesh. Have we ever had consistent lines this season? Not really. Here were the two best, though:

Hudler - Datsyuk - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - Bertuzzi

Put those back together and another line with Zetterberg (Holmstrom + Modano?) and see how things work out in that regard. Alternatively, put Datsyuk and Zetterberg back together (When has this not worked longer than a couple games in a row?) and run the above combos with similar lines, such as Hudler - Filppula - Cleary, Bert - Modano - Franzen.

I think perhaps Babcock has been trying to get a feel for line combos moving forward into the playoffs, but it just feels like he's been trying to use line changes too much to get a spark going for some player or another and chemistry has suffered. If people don't have a spark, just make them sit.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.