• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Trevor Gillies

Rate this topic

gilliesclutterbuck.jpg

Soooooo much homerism on this board from the anti-enforcer and pro-enforcer side. Obviously personal bias towards one way or the other will completely and utterly corrupt your point of view of this play, but from an analytical standpoint, 1 + 2 show it was a punch to the face. 3 shows it was not an elbow to the back and it shows the hit was from the side. Gillies does not have any skills besides being an old fashioned goon and if it weren't for the Islanders being absolute garbage, he wouldn't be in the league at all...well...the Ducks might want him.

This play was dirty and I don't know how anyone could argue that. Who cares who the hit was on, the recipient is erroneous, the act by Gillies is the matter of subject at hand. It was a punch to the face and a boarding/charging/major interference/ intent to injure on a completely defenseless player. Obviously the "checking from behind" was the wrong all, but there could have been two or three calls on that one play

5 games would be too low in my opinion since this was his first game back from being super dirty and this was his fourth shift of the game on top of being a repeat offender.

why is he even in the NHL?

Because not every team has the philosophy the Wings have. Deal with it.

Way too much whining in this thread. Players who play this style are occasionally going to do something a little overboard. Can't have it both ways guys. Many enforcers and big hitters get suspended from time to time. Guys who don't get suspended are guys like, say Hudler.

The guy has never put up more than 7 pts in a season at any professional level. He has played in a grand total of 150 minutes at the NHL level and has 220 PIMs. Case in point is that he is nothing more than a goon who does not possess the skillset to being playing at the NHL level.

Most pure enforcers aren't that much more talented than him. Look around the NHL and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Leino just tripped Schenn on an icing, sending him in to the boards. I thought the league was trying to come down on this dangerous play a few years ago. There will be no suspension or anything (shouldn't be IMO) but the play is easily as dangerous as Gillies. The difference is no one here would call for a suspension because Leino is a "skill player".

The Gillies hit was dirty, there is no arguing that. My problem is that he will get a big suspension from it while similar hits will happen with no league intervention. This is targeting the name on the sweater and not the offense. This is evidenced by Cal getting the benefit of the doubt for his hit from behind.

If anyone sees any homerism in my posts, please point it out.

This situation is similar to Malkin having his instigator recinded in the playoffs a couple years ago. People complained because they thought the league recinded the penalty because Malkin is a star player. To me this falls under the same argument but posters here are less likely to support a lesser suspension because Gillies is an enforcer.

Because not every team has the philosophy the Wings have. Deal with it.

Way too much whining in this thread. Players who play this style are occasionally going to do something a little overboard. Can't have it both ways guys. Many enforcers and big hitters get suspended from time to time. Guys who don't get suspended are guys like, say Hudler.

Most pure enforcers aren't that much more talented than him. Look around the NHL and you'll see what I mean.

Whining about whining...classic. Whining about people who whine about whiners, even more classic. Whiners who whine about the whiners who whine about whiners, uber epic. It's the people who whine about the whiners who whine about the people who always seem to whine about the people who whine about whiners are the ones that grind my gears. Keep on whining.

Whining about whining...classic. Whining about people who whine about whiners, even more classic. Whiners who whine about the whiners who whine about whiners, uber epic. It's the people who whine about the whiners who whine about the people who always seem to whine about the people who whine about whiners are the ones that grind my gears. Keep on whining.

:wacko:

Thanks for addressing my other points at least.

Leino just tripped Schenn on an icing, sending him in to the boards. I thought the league was trying to come down on this dangerous play a few years ago. There will be no suspension or anything (shouldn't be IMO) but the play is easily as dangerous as Gillies. The difference is no one here would call for a suspension because Leino is a "skill player".

The Gillies hit was dirty, there is no arguing that. My problem is that he will get a big suspension from it while similar hits will happen with no league intervention. This is targeting the name on the sweater and not the offense. This is evidenced by Cal getting the benefit of the doubt for his hit from behind.

If anyone sees any homerism in my posts, please point it out.

This situation is similar to Malkin having his instigator recinded in the playoffs a couple years ago. People complained because they thought the league recinded the penalty because Malkin is a star player. To me this falls under the same argument but posters here are less likely to support a lesser suspension because Gillies is an enforcer.

Skills players who have been suspended this year include, and not limited to: Cammalleri, Doan, Briere, Joe Thornton, Brent Burns, Ollie Jokinen. Many "skilled" players have also been fined as well.

Cal's hit from behind is something we see every game countless times and are harmless. You'll see Miller, Zetterberg, Cleary and Homer get these same hits in tonight's game. The dirty hits from behind are the ones that Crosby got from Hedman and the ones where players are a few feet away from the boards and a player crosschecks him sending him flying into the boards head first.

Gillies isn't being singled about because he is an enforcer, he is being singled out because he got a game misconduct in his first game back after a lengthy suspension.

:wacko:

Thanks for addressing my other points at least.

Why would I address your other comments when i agree with them? Most teams do have a different playing philosophy than the Wings. Most goons can't point up points. I agree with those two statement of yours...better?

Why would I address your other comments when i agree with them? Most teams do have a different playing philosophy than the Wings. Most goons can't point up points. I agree with those two statement of yours...better?

:clap:

Much better. Agreeing with me will get you far in my book. :D

Edited by GMRwings1983

If repeat offender even plays into it at all, Matt Cooke's minimum suspension should've started at 20 games years ago. He is the definition of a repeat offender with way more infractions (called or not) than Gillies yet he gets puny suspensions. But hey, he chips in pucks every now and then so he's all good. Das Boooools***.

esteef

Edited by esteef

Skills players who have been suspended this year include, and not limited to: Cammalleri, Doan, Briere, Joe Thornton, Brent Burns, Ollie Jokinen. Many "skilled" players have also been fined as well.

Cal's hit from behind is something we see every game countless times and are harmless. You'll see Miller, Zetterberg, Cleary and Homer get these same hits in tonight's game. The dirty hits from behind are the ones that Crosby got from Hedman and the ones where players are a few feet away from the boards and a player crosschecks him sending him flying into the boards head first.

Gillies isn't being singled about because he is an enforcer, he is being singled out because he got a game misconduct in his first game back after a lengthy suspension.

My problem is that the hit likely wouldn't be a game misconduct if it were another player. It being a game misconduct is why this hit has such a big deal.

I'm surprised there aren't more injuries from hits from behind like the hit Cal delivered. It is a major injury source in youth/junior hockey. However, this may be due to the lack of concussion knowledge at the lower levels.

I'm asking for my homerism to be pointed put because I prefer to be kept honest. Differences in opinion are usually unchangeable, but there are a lot of posts on here that are full of logical fallacies and overgeneralizations. Despite the fact that we disagree a lot, I respect your posts and hope you'd call me out.

My thoughts exactly. If there was no instigator rule, Gillies would've likely grabbed Clutterbuck and whooped his ass, instead he delivers a quick (and cheap) hit and hopes to get away with it. Oh well...

Sign him Kenny! :P

esteef

If Gillies was smart (which he is not) he would take the instigator on Clutterbuck, wreck his s***, then sit the 17 minutes. It's not like he deserves much ice time anyway.

Hell, if he is deemed the aggressor and gets a game for it then the Isles are better off.

If Gillies was smart (which he is not) he would take the instigator on Clutterbuck, wreck his s***, then sit the 17 minutes. It's not like he deserves much ice time anyway.

Hell, if he is deemed the aggressor and gets a game for it then the Isles are better off.

That's what's so funny, by the rules, he would've been better served grabbing Clutterbuck and drilling him in the face a bunch of times because that would've looked better than taking advantage on a hit.

esteef

Call me blind, but I don't see an elbow to the head. I see he got his arms up and clearly delivered a solid punch to the jaw, but I fail to see where some people are coming up with an elbow to the head. Nonetheless, he'll get another few games. Definitely deserves punishment. The hit by Buttercup seemed clean, I think the fact that the hit was on one of the Isles youngsters, Gillies reacted the way he did. Can't imagine it will be that severe of a suspension.

If repeat offender even plays into it at all, Matt Cooke's minimum suspension should've started at 20 games years ago. He is the definition of a repeat offender with way more infractions (called or not) than Gillies yet he gets puny suspensions. But hey, he chips in pucks every now and then so he's all good. Das Boooools***.

esteef

Not to mention he plays for Pittsburgh.

Thoughts? I'm thinking he gets at least 10 games, but I'd prefer more. He should have gotten a lot more than 9 the last time.

why should he get 10 or more games? his hit was less from behind than the hit clutterbuck threw before his hit. if gillies gets suspended, then clutterbuck should get the same punishment. and if it goes by law of average from colin campbell, with soft suspensions for much worse hits by matt cooke then he gets max 4 games. or as far as hits from behind go, look back to max talbot and brooks orpik and he gets 0 games.