Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Ten games.

beat me to it

Edit:

@twolinepass

10 games for gillies. that's like.. nine minutes of ice time
Edited by CaliWingsNut

This hit gets 4 games and Gillies gets 10. To me, Gillies' suspension is based on him being an enforcer more than the hit itself.

Or maayyybeee it was because he was suspended for a headshot the last game he played in, and immediately after coming back he performed a similar action.

Would have loved a 20 gamer but hey, 10 games isn't bad.

For those comparing this to the Clutterbuck hit: Cluster was attempting to make a hockey play. Gillies was retaliating.

That's bulls***. I saw this 'hit from behind' and I don't even know what the fuss is about. I don't see an elbow either. I didn't really see a punch to the face, but the screen shots in a previous post kind of show it better. I'm not saying I like Gillies, but this is ridiculous. They're trying to make an example of the ****** bag, I personally don't think they are punishing this event, but the player.

One plays hockey while the other is there for the purpose he showcased. For discussion's sake and dislike of Cluster people are turning this completely around. I mean, really people, assess this whole thing and watch it frame by frame. He was "defending" a younger teammate but in the grand scheme of this grand game we call hockey, Gillies has no place on a roster. Period.

Edited by HankthaTank

Hmm... guess it was an elbow/forearm to the head:

gillies.jpg

That picture shows the opposite. You can see his head but cant see his elbow or forearm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObjS14bPuU&feature=player_embedded#at=60

0.56 mark. Its such a clear cut angle I'm not going to say anything else on the matter. I don't even like Gillies.

That picture shows the opposite. You can see his head but cant see his elbow or forearm.

I posted those stills in a previous page where I stated I didn't see and elbow or anything, but in the picture above you can see a right forearm. Obviously the view is slightly obstructed, but with the slightest amount of spatial visualization ability you can see the elbow/forearm.

I posted those stills in a previous page where I stated I didn't see and elbow or anything, but in the picture above you can see a right forearm. Obviously the view is slightly obstructed, but with the slightest amount of spatial visualization ability you can see the elbow/forearm.

That's Clutterbuck's jersey.

Guest Shoreline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObjS14bPuU&feature=player_embedded#at=60

0.56 mark. Its such a clear cut angle I'm not going to say anything else on the matter. I don't even like Gillies.

Hmm.

On the Islanders feed (the first one) you only see Gillies' right arm go into the upper arm/shoulder of Clutterbuck. Right arm is good. On the Wild's feed (second one) you only see the left arm and the left arm goes up to the head. The first angle the Islanders show is favorable to Gillies because it obstructs both Clutterbuck's head and Gillies' left arm. The second angle the Wild show are favorable to the demonizing of Gillies because it looks like he uses the force of both arms to go straight to Clutterbuck's head when it was either used more for support or as a secondary hit, yet not nearly as powerful as the force of the right -- and given Clutterbuck barely even moves there obviously wasn't that much force behind it. The second angle obstructs the right arm making you think it also went to the head.

That being said this hit is obviously not legal, but I'm really wondering why these broadcasts were ONLY showing these angles that clearly favor "their" guy.

I don't think Gillies' should have got 10 games though, with consideration of every angle, and not just one. Not even close to 10. Maybe 1-3. Think that's about it for me on this subject.

Edited by Shoreline

Hedman wasn't suspended on his headshot to Crosby.

Strange conspiracy there, don't you think?

You're better than the strawman argument.

Crosby has to know the hit is coming a half-second after he dishes the puck and stays against the boards, but for some reason, one time out of a thousand when he plays it right, he forgets and someone taller than him hits him.

He's playing the puck in the offensive zone and turns his numbers to look at his pass. Not a dirty play. Even Campbell knows if you suspend Hedman for that hit, you suspend 500 guys a year.

The fact that Crosby was playing woozy only a couple of days after Steckel collided with him at the WC led more to that concussion than anything allegedly dirty done by Hedman.

In isolation, the Gillies hit on Clutterbuck was not a ten-game suspension. For the dangerousness aspect, the Cooke hit on Tyutin was much worse than this. The fact it was Gillies' his first game back after the Tangradi hit made it a more easily suspendable hit.

You can be assured that no matter how many concussions there are int he league, Matt Cooke will still be getting piddly little suspensions for frequent, pointless dangerous play long after Gillies is back in the ECHL.

Edited by mjlegend

You're better than the strawman argument.

It's not a strawman. This site is obsessed with the Penguin conspiracy to the point where people on this board ignore times the Penguins get the short end of the stick and only point out times when they benefit.

Hell, how many suspensions did Cooke get when he was in Vancouver or Washington? It has nothing to do with the logo on the front of the jersey.