• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

A view of the GIlles situaiton that dissolves into Jane Austen quotes in the comments.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#42 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

A view of the GIlles situaiton that dissolves into Jane Austen quotes in the comments.

"Since the lockout, however, the league is trying to tame the frontier justice. The problem is that their solution - the ill-named "instigator" penalty - actually punishes the enforcer and NOT the instigator, the guy running around and stirring the pot. Not surprisingly, those guys are stirring harder and faster than ever, with no end in sight."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh wait! Great column by the way. :thumbup:

More good stuff..."The current "fighting has no place in our game" moralizing from the league is complete hogwash, frankly. It's self-serving, and allows Bettman and Campbell to sound correct while actually doing things that are the exact oposite of helpful. The goon who does nothing but fight is bad for the game, they say; well, what about the goon who does nothing but endanger other guys' health and careers? The enforcer would be far less necessary if you cracked down on the behavior he's there to punish! Heck - enforcers might even need to be able to carry their weight for 8-10 minutes a night. Wonder of wonders, if you curtail dirty play, you might just improve the quality of the hockey being played. Once you get past the tribal instinct of "my team good, all others suq lulz !!!one!!1!" the fans get that; they know punishing the enforcer more than the troublemaker serves, in practice, to protect the troublemaker. That's the real reason why dirty play is on the rise."

esteef

Edited by esteef, 03 March 2011 - 02:53 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#43 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

The guy has never put up more than 7 pts in a season at any professional level. He has played in a grand total of 150 minutes at the NHL level and has 220 PIMs. Case in point is that he is nothing more than a goon who does not possess the skillset to being playing at the NHL level.

#44 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Gillies is a career 4th liner who was brought up to check and provide energy (and knock the s*** out of people :D ). His point totals are irrelevant.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#45 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

Gillies is a career 4th liner who was brought up to check and provide energy (and knock the s*** out of people :D ). His point totals are irrelevant.

esteef

So is his career !

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#46 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

The guy has never put up more than 7 pts in a season at any professional level. He has played in a grand total of 150 minutes at the NHL level and has 220 PIMs. Case in point is that he is nothing more than a goon who does not possess the skillset to being playing at the NHL level.

What is the point of this? Because he isn't a good player means that he should be held to a higher standard than better players?

#47 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

So is his career !

What career :ph34r:
IPB Image

#48 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Oh yay! PTI will be discussing this for :20 seconds today.

This is why I hate when players do boneheaded things. It causes discussion of hockey by those who have no understanding of the game. ...and no, I don't consider Wilbon's blind homerism for the Hawks as understanding of the game.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#49 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Oh yay! PTI will be discussing this for :20 seconds today.

This is why I hate when players do boneheaded things. It causes discussion of hockey by those who have no understanding of the game. ...and no, I don't consider Wilbon's blind homerism for the Hawks as understanding of the game.

ATH discussed it as well, and Bob Ryan said it best: MIKE MILBURY says he's a goon and that he should be banned from the NHL. When Milbury says that he's a goon, you know the guy shouldn't have been in the NHL, ever.

#50 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hate to ask, but with a player like Clutterbuck, who takes runs at players, wasn't this just a matter of time? Now I don't think a hit to his head is right, but Clutterbuck is like Tootoo but at least Tootoo isn't a coward and he goes around making questionable hits on skilled players. This wouldnt be a problem but as has been pointed out he just hits and hides.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#51 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm I wrong or did I NOT see an elbow hit him? I saw the fist to the face from his left arm and the right arm hit his shoulder. Sure still a penalty and a asinine play, but I didn't see an elbow...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#52 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Looks like a total s***bag taking out a borderline s***bag to me.

10-15 games for Gilles. Next f***up = lifetime ban IMO.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#53 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

Posted Image

Soooooo much homerism on this board from the anti-enforcer and pro-enforcer side. Obviously personal bias towards one way or the other will completely and utterly corrupt your point of view of this play, but from an analytical standpoint, 1 + 2 show it was a punch to the face. 3 shows it was not an elbow to the back and it shows the hit was from the side. Gillies does not have any skills besides being an old fashioned goon and if it weren't for the Islanders being absolute garbage, he wouldn't be in the league at all...well...the Ducks might want him.

This play was dirty and I don't know how anyone could argue that. Who cares who the hit was on, the recipient is erroneous, the act by Gillies is the matter of subject at hand. It was a punch to the face and a boarding/charging/major interference/ intent to injure on a completely defenseless player. Obviously the "checking from behind" was the wrong all, but there could have been two or three calls on that one play

5 games would be too low in my opinion since this was his first game back from being super dirty and this was his fourth shift of the game on top of being a repeat offender.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#54 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Wouldn't mind having this guy on our team someday.

And no, I'm not kidding.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#55 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

why is he even in the NHL?

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

why is he even in the NHL?

Because not every team has the philosophy the Wings have. Deal with it.

Way too much whining in this thread. Players who play this style are occasionally going to do something a little overboard. Can't have it both ways guys. Many enforcers and big hitters get suspended from time to time. Guys who don't get suspended are guys like, say Hudler.

Most pure enforcers aren't that much more talented than him. Look around the NHL and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 March 2011 - 07:15 PM.

#57 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

Leino just tripped Schenn on an icing, sending him in to the boards. I thought the league was trying to come down on this dangerous play a few years ago. There will be no suspension or anything (shouldn't be IMO) but the play is easily as dangerous as Gillies. The difference is no one here would call for a suspension because Leino is a "skill player".

The Gillies hit was dirty, there is no arguing that. My problem is that he will get a big suspension from it while similar hits will happen with no league intervention. This is targeting the name on the sweater and not the offense. This is evidenced by Cal getting the benefit of the doubt for his hit from behind.

If anyone sees any homerism in my posts, please point it out.

This situation is similar to Malkin having his instigator recinded in the playoffs a couple years ago. People complained because they thought the league recinded the penalty because Malkin is a star player. To me this falls under the same argument but posters here are less likely to support a lesser suspension because Gillies is an enforcer.

#58 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Because not every team has the philosophy the Wings have. Deal with it.

Way too much whining in this thread. Players who play this style are occasionally going to do something a little overboard. Can't have it both ways guys. Many enforcers and big hitters get suspended from time to time. Guys who don't get suspended are guys like, say Hudler.

Most pure enforcers aren't that much more talented than him. Look around the NHL and you'll see what I mean.

Whining about whining...classic. Whining about people who whine about whiners, even more classic. Whiners who whine about the whiners who whine about whiners, uber epic. It's the people who whine about the whiners who whine about the people who always seem to whine about the people who whine about whiners are the ones that grind my gears. Keep on whining.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#59 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Whining about whining...classic. Whining about people who whine about whiners, even more classic. Whiners who whine about the whiners who whine about whiners, uber epic. It's the people who whine about the whiners who whine about the people who always seem to whine about the people who whine about whiners are the ones that grind my gears. Keep on whining.

:wacko:

Thanks for addressing my other points at least.

#60 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Leino just tripped Schenn on an icing, sending him in to the boards. I thought the league was trying to come down on this dangerous play a few years ago. There will be no suspension or anything (shouldn't be IMO) but the play is easily as dangerous as Gillies. The difference is no one here would call for a suspension because Leino is a "skill player".

The Gillies hit was dirty, there is no arguing that. My problem is that he will get a big suspension from it while similar hits will happen with no league intervention. This is targeting the name on the sweater and not the offense. This is evidenced by Cal getting the benefit of the doubt for his hit from behind.

If anyone sees any homerism in my posts, please point it out.

This situation is similar to Malkin having his instigator recinded in the playoffs a couple years ago. People complained because they thought the league recinded the penalty because Malkin is a star player. To me this falls under the same argument but posters here are less likely to support a lesser suspension because Gillies is an enforcer.

Skills players who have been suspended this year include, and not limited to: Cammalleri, Doan, Briere, Joe Thornton, Brent Burns, Ollie Jokinen. Many "skilled" players have also been fined as well.

Cal's hit from behind is something we see every game countless times and are harmless. You'll see Miller, Zetterberg, Cleary and Homer get these same hits in tonight's game. The dirty hits from behind are the ones that Crosby got from Hedman and the ones where players are a few feet away from the boards and a player crosschecks him sending him flying into the boards head first.

Gillies isn't being singled about because he is an enforcer, he is being singled out because he got a game misconduct in his first game back after a lengthy suspension.

:wacko:

Thanks for addressing my other points at least.

Why would I address your other comments when i agree with them? Most teams do have a different playing philosophy than the Wings. Most goons can't point up points. I agree with those two statement of yours...better?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank