• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#61 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

Why would I address your other comments when i agree with them? Most teams do have a different playing philosophy than the Wings. Most goons can't point up points. I agree with those two statement of yours...better?

:clap:

Much better. Agreeing with me will get you far in my book. :D

Edited by GMRwings1983, 03 March 2011 - 07:50 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#62 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

If repeat offender even plays into it at all, Matt Cooke's minimum suspension should've started at 20 games years ago. He is the definition of a repeat offender with way more infractions (called or not) than Gillies yet he gets puny suspensions. But hey, he chips in pucks every now and then so he's all good. Das Boooools***.

esteef

Edited by esteef, 03 March 2011 - 07:55 PM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#63 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

Skills players who have been suspended this year include, and not limited to: Cammalleri, Doan, Briere, Joe Thornton, Brent Burns, Ollie Jokinen. Many "skilled" players have also been fined as well.

Cal's hit from behind is something we see every game countless times and are harmless. You'll see Miller, Zetterberg, Cleary and Homer get these same hits in tonight's game. The dirty hits from behind are the ones that Crosby got from Hedman and the ones where players are a few feet away from the boards and a player crosschecks him sending him flying into the boards head first.

Gillies isn't being singled about because he is an enforcer, he is being singled out because he got a game misconduct in his first game back after a lengthy suspension.

Why would I address your other comments when i agree with them? Most teams do have a different playing philosophy than the Wings. Most goons can't point up points. I agree with those two statement of yours...better?

My problem is that the hit likely wouldn't be a game misconduct if it were another player. It being a game misconduct is why this hit has such a big deal.

I'm surprised there aren't more injuries from hits from behind like the hit Cal delivered. It is a major injury source in youth/junior hockey. However, this may be due to the lack of concussion knowledge at the lower levels.

I'm asking for my homerism to be pointed put because I prefer to be kept honest. Differences in opinion are usually unchangeable, but there are a lot of posts on here that are full of logical fallacies and overgeneralizations. Despite the fact that we disagree a lot, I respect your posts and hope you'd call me out.

#64 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

My thoughts exactly. If there was no instigator rule, Gillies would've likely grabbed Clutterbuck and whooped his ass, instead he delivers a quick (and cheap) hit and hopes to get away with it. Oh well...

Sign him Kenny! :P

esteef

If Gillies was smart (which he is not) he would take the instigator on Clutterbuck, wreck his s***, then sit the 17 minutes. It's not like he deserves much ice time anyway.

Hell, if he is deemed the aggressor and gets a game for it then the Isles are better off.

Posted Image

#65 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

If Gillies was smart (which he is not) he would take the instigator on Clutterbuck, wreck his s***, then sit the 17 minutes. It's not like he deserves much ice time anyway.

Hell, if he is deemed the aggressor and gets a game for it then the Isles are better off.

That's what's so funny, by the rules, he would've been better served grabbing Clutterbuck and drilling him in the face a bunch of times because that would've looked better than taking advantage on a hit.

esteef

#66 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

An update. Cal is playing tonight and hitting a lot (as usual). It appears the hit did not cause an injury.

#67 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

FREE GILLIES!!!!!!

esteef

#68 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

FREE GILLIES!!!!!!

esteef

We may have to make some shirts for the cause :)

#69 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

Gillies is a cancer in this league.

Cmon Howard haters get talk about rebound control
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#70 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Just get rid of him.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#71 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

Call me blind, but I don't see an elbow to the head. I see he got his arms up and clearly delivered a solid punch to the jaw, but I fail to see where some people are coming up with an elbow to the head. Nonetheless, he'll get another few games. Definitely deserves punishment. The hit by Buttercup seemed clean, I think the fact that the hit was on one of the Isles youngsters, Gillies reacted the way he did. Can't imagine it will be that severe of a suspension.

If repeat offender even plays into it at all, Matt Cooke's minimum suspension should've started at 20 games years ago. He is the definition of a repeat offender with way more infractions (called or not) than Gillies yet he gets puny suspensions. But hey, he chips in pucks every now and then so he's all good. Das Boooools***.

esteef

Not to mention he plays for Pittsburgh.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#72 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

think he'll shave his 'stache for the "in-person hearing"?

you know, to look less like a bag of fools?
Posted Image

#73 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,061 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

The hit wouldnt have been so bad if he hadnt punched him in the face with his free hand.. just a dumb thing by Gilles. Far from a lifetime ban, but i'm sure he'll get 3-6 games for it.

#NOMOREKINDL

#74 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

Thoughts? I'm thinking he gets at least 10 games, but I'd prefer more. He should have gotten a lot more than 9 the last time.

why should he get 10 or more games? his hit was less from behind than the hit clutterbuck threw before his hit. if gillies gets suspended, then clutterbuck should get the same punishment. and if it goes by law of average from colin campbell, with soft suspensions for much worse hits by matt cooke then he gets max 4 games. or as far as hits from behind go, look back to max talbot and brooks orpik and he gets 0 games.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#75 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Ten games.

@KatieStrangNYI:
BREAKING: Trevor Gillies suspended for 10 games by NHL

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#76 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Ten games.

beat me to it

Edit:
@twolinepass

10 games for gillies. that's like.. nine minutes of ice time

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 04 March 2011 - 03:12 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#77 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Ten games.

This hit gets 4 games and Gillies gets 10. To me, Gillies' suspension is based on him being an enforcer more than the hit itself.

#78 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

The Clutterbuck hit was much worse than the Gillies hit. Typical Colin Campbell, he has no idea what he's doing, no one else does either.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#79 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

This hit gets 4 games and Gillies gets 10. To me, Gillies' suspension is based on him being an enforcer more than the hit itself.

Or maayyybeee it was because he was suspended for a headshot the last game he played in, and immediately after coming back he performed a similar action.

Would have loved a 20 gamer but hey, 10 games isn't bad.

For those comparing this to the Clutterbuck hit: Cluster was attempting to make a hockey play. Gillies was retaliating.

Posted Image

#80 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

That's bulls***. I saw this 'hit from behind' and I don't even know what the fuss is about. I don't see an elbow either. I didn't really see a punch to the face, but the screen shots in a previous post kind of show it better. I'm not saying I like Gillies, but this is ridiculous. They're trying to make an example of the ****** bag, I personally don't think they are punishing this event, but the player.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid