• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

egroen

Wings true +/-

Rate this topic

I remember at the beginning of the season someone shared a link of someone who was meticulously watching Wings games and assessing plusses and minuses based on actual individual game play.

Anyone remember the link?

I kind of agree. It just seems way too subjective, especially coming from a fan of the team. I'm sure he is doing his best to be as fair as he can, but still, I don't see how this system can really be taken too seriously. Far too many variables and judgement calls.

Still interesting numbers though.

Not to offend anyone, but those stats and the rationale for determining them, in my opinion, is absurd.

It's different from what I had thought - I simply though it only awarded negatives to those individuals sharing responsibility to goals against. They have added a whole lot of extremely subjective variable - but interesting to look at nonetheless. It does seem to pass the 'eyeball test' of matching up well with those players whose official stats do not necessarily reflect how they are actually performing on the ice.

It's different from what I had thought - I simply though it only awarded negatives to those individuals sharing responsibility to goals against. They have added a whole lot of extremely subjective variable - but interesting to look at nonetheless. It does seem to pass the 'eyeball test' of matching up well with those players whose official stats do not necessarily reflect how they are actually performing on the ice.

Did you read through some the single game analyses? Sometimes they're not bad.

I don't think the guy is suggesting that Datsyuk should have almost 70 points. The point is to compare players of the same team in terms of relative value. The point is to show how useful they are to the team in relation to one-another. Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg are having strong years. But look at Holmstrom, Helm, Eaves... that's the point.

Now, I think he rewards too much for penalties drawn and things like that, forwards are probably more likely to benefit from that, but it's interesting to see contribution in terms of more than goals for on ice/goals against on ice. The plus/minus stat is a worthless one anyway, why not make it a little less accurate, but taking much more into account?